Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Betts' training a local initiative

PCS

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009...al-initiative/

Betts' training a local initiative

David Elfin

This year, Ladell Betts opted for a staycation - though he wasn't exactly taking it easy.

While many of his Washington Redskins teammates headed to far-flung vacation spots when organized team activities ended in mid-June, Betts stuck around Northern Virginia to get in some extra work.

He embarked on a rigorous strength program under the supervision of ex-teammate Eddie Mason, pushing himself through seven weeks of work until the start of training camp.

"Ladell works his butt off, and he came to me looking for a jolt," Mason said.

Betts figured he needed a spark. He had played in 42 straight games at running back for the Redskins when he sprained a knee in October. He missed a month and never really got back into a groove.

Betts managed just 50 yards in seven games after his return from the injury - a major decline in performance for a player who two seasons earlier tied a franchise record with five straight 100-yard games while he started in place of the injured Clinton Portis.

In anticipation of his impending 30th birthday - he hits that milestone Thursday - Betts settled on the new offseason approach.

The payoff for all the extra work wasn't immediately apparent in the Redskins' preseason-opening loss to Baltimore - Betts managed just 7 yards on four carries and one catch for 12 yards. But Betts said he believes Mason's program made a difference, especially because his friend knows how hard two-a-days can be on the body and the mind.

*Click Link for Rest*

tied a franchise record with five straight 100-yard games while he started in place of the injured Clinton Portis.

:groupwave::box::cheers:

Unleash the Beast.

I want to see him angry this season. And I hope he realizes how short NFL careers are.

Make your mark Betts. Beat the living hell out of defenses this year.

tied a franchise record with five straight 100-yard games while he started in place of the injured Clinton Portis.

:groupwave::box::cheers:

Unleash the Beast.

I want to see him angry this season. And I hope he realizes how short NFL careers are.

Make your mark Betts. Beat the living hell out of defenses this year.

You make me sick.

I like Betts, but he didn't look stronger at all tonight. His run up the middle at the goal line was weak, and he just danced around instead of hitting the hole with any drive on the 3rd down run off left tackle.

I think Betts could be alright on screens and mixing it up on some runs, but no more goal line carries for him. The guy just can't find the end zone to save his life.

Archived