Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Om Field: Preseason Week II Wish List

Om

Preseason Week II Wish List

August 22, 2009

With one preseason “game” under our belts—last week’s 23-0 bummer against the Baltimore Ravens—I have pared the wish list down for week two:

I. All season, the single most crucial element in any real Redskins game will be the play of its young veteran quarterback, Jason Campbell. His performance in tonight’s preseason “game” against the Pittsburgh Steelers won’t have much bearing in terms of the final score, but it will carry significance in terms of confidence and progression for Campbell himself, his teammates, his coaches and fans of his team.

Last week Campbell was solid-if-unspectacular. He chose safe underneath routes, seemingly the result of both his own instincts and the design of Head Coach Jim Zorn, who stated after the game he went into it with legitimate concerns about his offensive line’s ability to protect Campbell against the Ravens’ aggressive pass rush, and called Campbell’s few plays accordingly.

Fair enough.

In week two I’ll be looking to see both Zorn and Campbell build on that and pull the trigger on at least 2-3 downfield looks. They don’t have to be 50-yard rainbows—I’ll settle for a couple of 25-yard seam routes or deep outs. Just call for the man to take a deep drop and cut it loose a couple of times. What that will also do, of course, is test the starting offensive line, which, while protecting Campbell well last week, faced no jailbreak blitzes or sophisticated stunts from Baltimore. The Ravens didn’t start really coming after the Redskins passers until after Campbell was done for the night. I’m not expecting the same from the Steelers tonight.

I hope to see the Pittsburgh send the house at Campbell a couple of times, see the Redskins pick it up professionally and Campbell execute the right quick read to beat it. The line and Campbell’s consistent inability to do that during the 2-6 slide over the second half of last season was a primary cause of that slide. Their ability to reverse the trend in 2009, in all likelihood, will be the primary factor in what kind of season the 2009 Redskins are going to have.

II. For all the focus on pass protection heading into last week’s opener, one thing that jumped out during the “game” was the starting offensive line’s inability to create even a whiff of running room ...

CLICK HERE to read more

Last week was just typical of how JC plays QB. The safe dump offs and the over and under thrown passes. I'm hoping to see him actually sustain a drive, throw a couple of deep balls and score a TD or two. Is that asking too much from our starting QB?

Last week was just typical of how JC plays QB. The safe dump offs and the over and under thrown passes. I'm hoping to see him actually sustain a drive, throw a couple of deep balls and score a TD or two. Is that asking too much from our starting QB?

No, it's not too much to ask JC.

It's simply too much to ask the O-line.

Om- I didn't read the whole article. I was just saying that his pass protection last week was pretty good. I do agree however that the o-line didn't open up any running lanes for our backs.

Now I'll go and read the rest of the article so as not to make a fool of myself again, lol.

I have to ask ... did you two actually read the piece, or is this just a running conversation from any thread that mentions Jason Campbell? ;)

What bearing would putting forth facts have?

Good job as usually OM, and I think Campbell will show some progression this week. It is prime time, at home and last week was embarassing, which works well as a motivator.

1-10-WAS 27 (14:19) 46-L.Betts right tackle to WAS 27 for no gain

2-10-WAS 38 (13:03) 46-L.Betts right end to WAS 42 for 4 yards

1-10-WAS 39 (5:35) 46-L.Betts left tackle to WAS 39 for no gain

2-10-WAS 39 (5:02) 46-L.Betts right guard to WAS 42 for 3 yards

In four running plays over two drives, the Redskins starters managed seven yards (1.75 avg.). And it wasn’t against a Ravens defense putting eight men in the box to stuff the run either.

Speaking of facts I found these truly disturbing. IDK if this speaks well for the line and/or Betts. I really don't know if Betts has it, we know he can catch, but is the avg. yards gained going to suffer when he is getting the additonal carries on third down? It warrants watching, I still really feel that a change of pace back is needed to compliment Portis. Betts is a less productive Poris clone, IMO.

And yeah, I am thinking BGO more and more.

No, it's not too much to ask JC.

It's simply too much to ask the O-line.

Good thing the FO/Coaching Staff went into the offseason talking about how the OL and pass protection in general was the biggest problem on the entire team and then did nothing to address it.

Yes, signing Dockery and releasing Kendall does not upgrade the Pass Protection. Knowing that our "Franchise QB", more than most, needs the protection, they did nothing about it.

Bravo!!!

Archived