Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Heyer Finally Feels Like He's In the Right Position

GhostofSparta

Per Bubba in Breaking News, hope it hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/21/AR2009082103566.html

Click link for entire article

Heyer Finally Feels Like He's In the Right Position

By Rick Maese

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, August 22, 2009

His new place is only a few steps to his right, but at times, it still feels miles away.

"It's not home yet," Redskins lineman Stephon Heyer said of the right tackle position. "But it'll come eventually."

As the Redskins prepare for their second preseason game Saturday night, against the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, many eyes on the sidelines will be cast in Heyer's direction, studying his command of the right tackle spot. In the offseason, coach Jim Zorn said the position was open for competition, but as training camp came to a close on Thursday, Heyer already seems to have established himself as the favorite to start to Week 1.

Whether he's completely ready for the new task or not, those who've been watching Heyer's progress since he joined the team as an undrafted rookie two years ago, are continually amazed at his progress.

I'm a big Heyer fan. I feel like he has the tools to be a very good tackle in this league and that he just needs time. Hopefully he'll prove it this year.

I think Heyer is a very important cog in our line and will be for some time. Let's say they draft an RT next year in the 1st or 2nd round. Then Heyer will be a key backup at LT (where he played all throughout college and even in the NFL whenever Samuels has gone down) and RT (where he also has playing experience).

He may not be a great starter, but he'd be an excellent backup.

I think Heyer is a very important cog in our line and will be for some time. Let's say they draft an RT next year in the 1st or 2nd round. Then Heyer will be a key backup at LT (where he played all throughout college and even in the NFL whenever Samuels has gone down) and RT (where he also has playing experience).

He may not be a great starter, but he'd be an excellent backup.

While I think that he'll be a good starter in the league for years, I definitely agree that he could serve as a valuable backup at LT.

Depeding on the play of our o-line this year our biggest need may not be at RT next year. A RG, C or LT may be needed more because Samuels, Rabach and Thomas certainly aren't getting younger.

I remember down the stretch in 2007 when he was singled up against Strahan, and he manhandled him.

So he got handled by an All-Pro his rookie season? So what! That was then and this is now. We need to give him huge props as a free agent to make it this far. I'm rooting for him.

We need new blood at center and guard before I would replace Heyer.

:helmet:

I'd love for Heyer to step up this season and prove himself to be our future RT.

Still remains to be seen though if he can stay healthy the whole season as well as playing at a high level.

And I also agree with the overall idea that we badly need upgrades at RG and C.

So he got handled by an All-Pro his rookie season? So what! That was then and this is now. We need to give him huge props as a free agent to make it this far. I'm rooting for him.

We need new blood at center and guard before I would replace Heyer.

:helmet:

You misunderstood me. Heyer manhandled Strahan despite being singled up against him. That was impressive!

Last year, a lot of us were thrilled with Golston and Montgomery (our two DTs). Many considered them underrated. The thing is, only Redskins fans knew who they were. And then we get Haynesworth, who completely changes out DLine - making it top tier. We had to get a star to realize how inept we were at DT before Haynesworth came along.

I think that Heyer has the versatility and ability to be a good backup. However, over the years I've watched him, he's had injury issues and will frequently get beat off the edge or pushed around with a strong bull rush. I remember we had to keep Cooley in as a blocker a LOT because Heyer couldn't handle the pass rush. I think we'll draft OLine next year but we have a lot of old veterans that need to be replaced. I'm sure Heyer is one of the last on the coaches' minds... but when he does get replaced with a second rounder or so, we'll have a Haynesworth moment I believe and see how much of an improvement we can get.

Last year, a lot of us were thrilled with Golston and Montgomery (our two DTs). Many considered them underrated. The thing is, only Redskins fans knew who they were. And then we get Haynesworth, who completely changes out DLine - making it top tier. We had to get a star to realize how inept we were at DT before Haynesworth came along.

We were far from inept. We weren't the "best" line in the league, but we were far from inept. How do you think we were ranked number 4 in the league last year with an inept line? We couldn't get a pass rush, but we were real good against the run. Far from inept.

I think that Heyer has the versatility and ability to be a good backup. However, over the years I've watched him, he's had injury issues and will frequently get beat off the edge or pushed around with a strong bull rush. I remember we had to keep Cooley in as a blocker a LOT because Heyer couldn't handle the pass rush. I think we'll draft OLine next year but we have a lot of old veterans that need to be replaced. I'm sure Heyer is one of the last on the coaches' minds... but when he does get replaced with a second rounder or so, we'll have a Haynesworth moment I believe and see how much of an improvement we can get.

Well, we'll just have to see about that. I'm pretty confident in Heyer, and while I would have liked to have seen the position addressed in free agency or the draft, we chose to go in other directions. I have high hopes for Heyer and Rinehart, but I do wish we had more depth along the OL.

wow i never knew that heyer tore an acl in college. if he handled himself well enough against a guy like merriman than he probably would have gotten himself drafted if not for the injury. im hoping that heyer can step his game up to another level this season.

Archived