Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Redskins Game Ever?

rtandler

I'm going to do an article or series on this subject and I'd like for you all to give me your feedback:

In your opinion, what is the greatest game the Redskins have ever played? The interpretation of "greatest" is strictly up to you.

How about the one in 91 against the Oilers, where Mitchell fumbled away the game only to be redeemed by a bad field goal kicker and a Darrell Green interception? Or maybe the Detroit game from the year before when the skins came from way back to win behind Jeff Rutledge...

1983 Raiders regular season game. Down by a bunch and the Raiders have the momentum in the 4th. Both Joes are spectacular in leading the Skins to a win. (Sigh. If only the Superbowl was....... nevermind......heavy sigh).

:cheers:

So many to choose from. Lets's catagorize them:

1. Superbowl - against Denver. Greatest quarter of Redskin football ever.

2. NFC Championship - 82 game against Dallas. RFK was rocking.

3. Regular season - Against Dallas (forget the year). The game where Sonny threw for a ton of yards while bringing the team back late in the 4th.

As for the greatest play - Riggins 4th & 1 in the Superbowl vs Miami.

Can't forget the '87 conference championship against the Vikes. Darrell Green fingertipped-away a fourth-down, last-play desperation pass in the endzone to preserve the victory.

One of my personal favorites - because it was my first game at RFK - was a come-from-behind victory against Cinncinnati in, I think, 85. Hard to believe the Bungles were once good, but the Boomer-led team was a frequent contendah. Skins went down big early thanks to Barry Will-be-burned, then the Bone gave him some help and momentum shifted. Last play of the game, Skins clinging to a 3-point lead, Cincy missed a 50-yard FG and the crowd went nuts.

'82 Championship was a great one, but how about the '71-'72 NFC championship that put the Skins into their first Superbowl. Complete domination of the hated Cowgirls to the tune of 26-3?

Charly Taylor and Diron Talbert, Chris Hanburger, and entire defense were magnificent. One of my earliest Skins memories.

Originally posted by Long n Left

'82 Championship was a great one, but how about the '71-'72 NFC championship that put the Skins into their first Superbowl. Complete domination of the hated Cowgirls to the tune of 26-3?

Charly Taylor and Diron Talbert, Chris Hanburger, and entire defense were magnificent. One of my earliest Skins memories.

Yes, the "other" whipping of Dallas for the NFC title. Had the result of the Super Bowl been different, this one would get a lot more mention.

12/31/72 REDSKINS 26, Cowboys 3 53,129

Dal 0 3 0 0 3

Was 0 10 0 16 26

Was FG Knight 18

Was Taylor 15 pass from Kilmer (Knight kick)

Dal FG Fritsch 35

Was Taylor 45 pass from Kilmer (Knight kick)

Was FG Knight 39

Was FG Knight 46

Was FG Knight 45

NFC Championship Game

RFK Stadium—George Allen said, “It was pretty close to perfect.” One would have to ask the coach what would have had to happen to make it perfect.

--Did Billy Kilmer need to complete all 18 of his passes instead for just 14? He passed for 198 yards.

--Should Charley Taylor have found a third Dallas cornerback to torch? After burning Charley Waters for a 51-yard gain in the second quarter, he beat Waters again on a 15-yard scoring catch to cap that drive. Waters went out with a broken arm and Taylor went to work on his replacement, Mark Washington. With the game still competitive at 10-3 in the fourth quarter, the Redskins were facing third and ten at the Dallas 45. Taylor streaked by Washington. As Kilmer’s pass arrived, Washington dove, but Taylor and the ball were well out of his range. Taylor caught the ball in stride at the goal line to clinch the win. For the day, he had seven catches for 146 yards.

--Should the defense have held Dallas without a first down in the second and fourth quarters as it did in the first and third? Roger Staubach, who had come off the bench to rally the Cowboys past San Francisco the week before, was held to 9 of 20 passing. Staubach was sacked six times by the Redskins line, which also helped hold Dallas to 96 yards rushing.

--One aspect that could not have been more perfect was Curt Knight’s field goal kicking, an occasional trouble spot during the regular season. Knight was four for four, drawing raucous cheers as each of his three fourth-quarter field goals split the uprights to leave the Cowboys further and further in the Redskins’ dust.

Perhaps Allen was simply following the advice of team chaplain James Skinner who, in his post game prayer, asked for help in being humble. It was a very difficult thing for the Redskins and their fans to do after this one.

Originally posted by JimboDaMan

Can't forget the '87 conference championship against the Vikes. Darrell Green fingertipped-away a fourth-down, last-play desperation pass in the endzone to preserve the victory.

Ditto here. This game was incredible. I have never felt the stadium shake like it did that day. The entire 4th quarter the stadium fell like it was on a waterbed, it was incredible. The fact the game went to the last play made it even more special. When Green deflected that pass everyone jumped and hugged someone.

I was gonna try and answer this one but when I got in here and started reading I was like, Oh yeah, that was a great one, Oh yeah, that was too. Now I'm all confused and I don't know. :laugh:

I have never been to a game so I'm sure it's different there than it is sitting at home watching it.

In terms of greatest team performance for an entire game, I think it has to be Superbowl 26 vs. The Bills.

The Redskins dominated that game in every aspect from the start to the finish ( well, maybe not the last 8 minutes, where they let the Bills score a couple of meaningless TDs)

I remember being surprised at how they dominated physically, particularly the way the DBs and LBs were hammering the Bills receivers.

Archived