Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smooty's Legendary Secondary?

Reaganaut

I'm making this up of course... but what if I'm not?

There are a million things to watch this offseason, but when I hear of the secondary wearing long sleeves to practice when everyone is dying of 107 degree index dog day August heat then I take notice.

Smoot has been a fan favorite since he joined the Redskins in 2001. His penchant for talking onfield smack leaving his opponents completely confused due to his country accent is legendary.

He's appointed himself as the leader of the secondary this season and this may just be what the doctor ordered if the Redskins are going to make the transition from a very good defensive team into an elite, dominant defense.

These guys mean business and Smoot is setting the tone for the season. They all know what it means to have Daniels back healthy, Carter in great shape, Wynn, Griffin and the new additions of Haynesworth and Orakpo.

The secondary is going to have a field day this year and put points on the board... and they all know it. This is the type of development that the coaches and managers of an NFL football team cannot get players to do on their own. This is grassroots type of stuff and it reminds one of the Hogs when they used to go to the shack in Carlisle and drink beer after practice with John Riggins.

This is the type of thing championships are made of. This is the healthiest sign seen from the Skins in years. Let's hope that this isn't just a gimmick or another grandstand by Smoot. If real, the secondary could produce the type of big plays we haven't seen for years. The type that remind one of Lavar Arrington's famous interception that turned the season around.

Could this be the year the Redskins have a truly dominant defense with a line that has a bona fide pro bowler? If so, then this secondary may just know something we don't yet about what is to come this year. It's going to be a long year for quarterbacks that face the Redskins.

Could this be a season for the record books? Time will tell, but this is the type of thing the Skins have been missing for a LONG time.

Didn't Smoot drop about 3 picks in last year's opener against the Giants?

I appreciate him trying to motivate the team, specifically his part of the defense, but he could possibly end up as the dime back by season's end.

I'd rather it be Rogers or even Hall saying this.

Didn't Smoot drop about 3 picks in last year's opener against the Giants?

No, he had a pick in that game.

Leadership is like sex. You take it from whomever and whenever. If Smoot takes it upon himself, I'm okay with that. With quieter guys like Landry and Rogers focused on executing, and other leaders and veterans like Hall, our secondary will be a focused, collective and united group.

Pair that with a front 7 that is seemingly hell bent on murdering QBs this season, and we may be looking at something special

No offense but I dont want Smoot "leading" our secondary. He talks too much **** that he cant back up. Every time he gets burnt he just talks **** the entire time afterwards. Id rather Landry step up and make this his secondary.

That's not in Landry's personality at all from what I know as a fan. Smoot is not exactly Darrell Green, but he is experienced, talented, and talkative and seems to be respected around the team. I'm all for it.

];6617009']No' date=' he had a pick in that game.[/quote'] I know he had a pick, but he also dropped at least 2 others that hit him right in the hands or chest.

Pretty groan inducing watching that.

Let's hope it's not the wrong kind of "special"...
That was the 2006 Redskins defense. I'd rather not take that bus again.

];6617009']No' date=' he had a pick in that game.

[b']Leadership is like sex. You take it from whomever and whenever.[/b] If Smoot takes it upon himself, I'm okay with that. With quieter guys like Landry and Rogers focused on executing, and other leaders and veterans like Hall, our secondary will be a focused, collective and united group.

Pair that with a front 7 that is seemingly hell bent on murdering QBs this season, and we may be looking at something special

If you have that attitude you might end up catching something you don't want :silly:

];6617009']

Leadership is like sex. You take it from whomever and whenever. If Smoot takes it upon himself' date=' I'm okay with that. With quieter guys like Landry and Rogers focused on executing, and other leaders and veterans like Hall, our secondary will be a focused, collective and united group. [/quote']

T.O and Jay Cutler would like to have a word with you.

Archived