Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FFM on Cowboys Offense

goldenster95

http://www.ffmastermind.com/2003/offseason/reports/eye137.shtml

The month May and early June brings QB schools, which provide the smallest morsels of information for starving fantasy enthusiasts. This mini-camp was no different as big stories consist of Troy Hambrick still having to lose 5 more pounds & Antonio Bryant becoming a Parcells' favorite.

With so much time until the start of the season it is very hard to have any declarative statements on the fantasy performance of any NFL players. In the case of the Cowboys, you can't even make a declarative statement as to who the starters at key fantasy positions are. Big Bill continues to state that the starting QB position is open and the best player will start. Q-Car & C-Hutch both seem ready to treat this as a battle.

It appears that The Boys are prepared to roll with Hambrick as their starting RB, but Parcells has been floating the name of Micheal Wiley as a possible contributor. Regardless of who wins these key position battles I thought I would try to answer the all-important question: Are you even going to wants these guys on your team no matter who it is that ultimately wins these battles. Everyone knows Parcells teams show marked improvement quickly. But just how quick is quickly? Examining his track records at other teams, you will find that it usually takes 2 years before you see tangible progress, both wins-wise & fantasy production-wise. I for one fear that the SUCK factor for the Cowboys offense will be high this year. Regardless of who wins the QB battle, they will be led by a relatively inexperienced signal caller with NO skins on the wall.

With an emerging young talented defense Parcells will likely be forced to follow in the footsteps of Dave Campo and run a very conservative game plan out week after week. And finally, if you haven't done it yet, take a second to go over the Cowboys 2003 schedule week by week. This is an outrageously difficult slate of games, not just because of the opponents, but it just seems to be chock-full of tough former teams-revenge type games. While I could be wrong and the Cowboys could produce reliable weekly fantasy studs, the odds do not favor it.

So if you do decide to draft the winner of one of these training camp battles, just remember to check yourself and realize what it really is that they have won: starter on a very inconsistent lower fourth offense in this league.

That's all for this month!

I'm a huge 'Boys fan, and I agree with every word in this article. Even if the Cowboys offense is good, it still won't be pretty. There are at least 3 WRs, 3 TEs and 3 or 4 RBs to divvy up the 250-300 completions the QB is likely to throw. If you're desperate for a RB and Hambrick shows something in TC or PS, grab him late, he might give you a few 100-yd games. But he's no proven commodity either.

The Cowboys defense and special teams should be pretty good, but I don't know how exactly that translates to fantasy football value.

Originally posted by ChrisFul

Yeah, i wouldnt count on much from Cowboy offensive players fantasy wise, either. Except for Antonio Bryant, who with even a worst-case scenario season from our starting QB should still be good for 1000 yards and 5 TDs.

Someone please give this guy a blue tint to his name. He's a cowpuke fan posing as one of us. Red Alert, RED Alert!!!

Use your anger, RabidFan. Now you feel the power of the dark side. :evil:

:laugh:

That's the second place I've seen that, RF, but Bill hasn't actually made any sort of announcement in a press conference or anything. There was a much ballyhooed incident where AB was p!ssed that he didn't make a catch in red zone drills during minicamp, and Bill had to yell at him to get him to hustle back the huddle, he didn't make it in time, and Bill told him "That's a penalty, Antonio!" How we got from that to one of Bill's favorite players has not been adequately explained. Of course, it could be as simple as he's one of Bill's most talented, hard-working, intense players, and that's all it takes. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by MAP16

Someone please give this guy a blue tint to his name. He's a cowpuke fan posing as one of us. Red Alert, RED Alert!!!

Uh, Map ... ChrisFul isn't posing. He's been an admitted Cowboy fan ( also quite reasonable and a regular) since he's been here.

I have to agree with this guy...

for one the cowboys schedule is as difficult as ours if not more. Especially when you consider all the revenge X-Tuna games they are slated to appear against. Patriots, Jets etc...

couple that with ??????'s at QB and RB...holy smoke!

Last offseason was the 'Pokes biggie. As you'll recall, the press was raving about how the had a shot at the division. And they failed; miserably.

The only upgrade this offseason has been bringing Parcells in, and the expectations are lowered substantially.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Last offseason was the 'Pokes biggie. As you'll recall, the press was raving about how the had a shot at the division. And they failed; miserably.

The only upgrade this offseason has been bringing Parcells in, and the expectations are lowered substantially.

Wrong. There were tons of upgrades this off-season. Replacing the worst fullback in the league with Richie Anderson; Upgrades at TE with Jason Witten and Dan Campbell; upgrading the OL with the signing of Ryan Young; upgrade at starting corner with Terrence Newman, and upgrading our #3 Wideout, replacing Darnay "I swear i'm not just on the team because i was Coslet's Illegitimate son" Scott with Terry Glenn.

Originally posted by RabidFan

Hey Flash....is that true that Tuna has taken a liking to Bryant? I know you can pick defenses for Fantasy F and kickers for points scored not sure on punters or other

Yep. There's been several articles written about how Antonio's attitude has changed and that he's developing into a leader and a Parcells' favorite.

Archived