Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dewayne Robertson may hold out!

Lachey79

Jets | Robertson Not Close to Deal - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:45:31 -0700

Ken Berger, of New York Newsday, reports the New York Jets are not close to a contract agreement with rookie first-round pick DT Dewayne Robertson. Robertson's agent, Hadley Engelhard, spent a day and a half this week with Jets officials to begin negotiations, but the two sides remain far apart on a deal. There are indications that Robertson won't be signed until sometime in July.

:D

Originally posted by brandies

Wouldn't it be great if he re-entered the draft next year and fell to us after we won the Super Bowl?

AND on the same day it's announced that DC has beaten New York out for the Super Bowl in 2008 :cheers:

I have a bad feeling about all this Jets bashing...karma is a b!tch, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts. :D

You're actually rooting for a Robertson holdout over here? Is this the same Robertson that was so overrated when drafted and will make little impact as a rookie? Wow, looks like the level of insecurity regarding Game 1 is really reaching an all-time high in Redskin land.

Also I missed the part of the report where DR threatens to holdout - could you highlight that for me? It just says that DR may not sign until July - which actually begins in 9 days. Camp doesn't even begin until July 21st. Considering Tannenbaum's track record of signing rookies and the fact that he signed all 4 first rounders on time in 2000, I'd say your prediction is somewhat premature.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night. :snore:

Originally posted by Flowtrain

You're actually rooting for a Robertson holdout over here? Is this the same Robertson that was so overrated when drafted and will make little impact as a rookie? Wow, looks like the level of insecurity regarding Game 1 is really reaching an all-time high in Redskin land.

Also I missed the part of the report where DR threatens to holdout - could you highlight that for me? It just says that DR may not sign until July - which actually begins in 9 days. Camp doesn't even begin until July 21st. Considering Tannenbaum's track record of signing rookies and the fact that he signed all 4 first rounders on time in 2000, I'd say your prediction is somewhat premature.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night. :snore:

I 100% agree with you here. This thread to dumb.

I doubt its even a topic at the Jets board.

the Jets front office is under scrutiny because they let Coles and Morton go when they could have locked them up to longer term deals with some early action by the GM.

that didn't happen and the Jets basically said these players as well as Thomas, etc... were guys they could win without.

Fairly or not, the Jets and the Eagles, where Reid basically said he could win without Hugh Douglas, Brian Mitchell and others, are going to have to prove their point :)

You're actually rooting for a Robertson holdout over here? . . .

Rival player holdouts, Cowboy drug busts, Anna Nicole sightings, . . .

When it's the offseason, if it's even vaguely related to football, then, well, does the phrase "like a drowning man" ring any bells?

(And, you may recall: One of the reasons people were pointing out, when we were listing the advantages of spending your draft picks early, is that you get to sign your draft picks early. Our first-round pick was signed a month before the draft.)

(Maybe his agent should point out that, since the Jets spent two first-round picks on him, his contract should be "slotted" as if he were the total of the #13 and #whatever draft picks.) :)

Originally posted by Larry

(And, you may recall: One of the reasons people were pointing out, when we were listing the advantages of spending your draft picks early, is that you get to sign your draft picks early. Our first-round pick was signed a month before the draft.)

(Maybe his agent should point out that, since the Jets spent two first-round picks on him, his contract should be "slotted" as if he were the total of the #13 and #whatever draft picks.) :)

Ah yes, the voice of reason. I don't think any of us actually care whether Robertson holds out or not, but if he did, it would be one more lesson directed at the Jet's front office. Essentially trading Coles and your 1st round pick for a holdout would be somewhat comical.

Flow, I don't think anyone here is losing sleep over the Jets. You do have one of the better D-lines in the league right now, but considering you may not have Evans (what's the status on that?), a holdout from Robertson would put you in somewhat of a bind.

Originally posted by Luca Brasi

Flow, I don't think anyone here is losing sleep over the Jets. You do have one of the better D-lines in the league right now, but considering you may not have Evans (what's the status on that?), a holdout from Robertson would put you in somewhat of a bind.

There's no additional news on Evans - I imagine we'll hear something in a week or two. His suspension would be a loss for the Jets DL since Cottrell loves to rotate his players and he'd obviously prefer to bring Robertson along at a more reasonable pace. But I guess there are worse things than being left with Ferguson and the top 2003 prospect at DTs. If DR's agent has 1/2 a brain though, he'll wait until a ruling is handed down on the appeal before inking a deal.

Though the media is making no predictions, I've personally prepared myself for an indefinite ban, followed by reinstatement after an 8-game suspension. I'm basing this on the NFL's treatment of Leon Lett when he tested positive for cocaine as a Stage 3 offender after serving a 1-year ban. Evans' actually has a better case than Lett since he stayed cleaner for longer and used a drug that's less image-tarnishing than coke. Also, PFT reports he likely missed a test (consider the source). Though missed tests are supposed to be treated as positive tests, Evans' punishment at this stage in the treatment program is 100% within Tag's discretion. Thus, the Commish may choose to consider a circumstance in which Evans submitted a clean sample a day late. On the flip side, Evans also somehow dodged a positive test last offseason and this too may be considered.

Don't you love the NFL? Only in this fantasy land can a recidivist drug offender's penalty be more lenient than the last penalty served for the very same offense. Prediction: 8 weeks.

Archived