Extremeskins

2003 Player Profile: Patrick Johnson

FLSKINSFAN

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11741

2003 Player Profile: Patrick Johnson, WR

06/20/2003

By Jason Gould

Editor, Redskins.com

Redskins sixth-year wide receiver Patrick Johnson enters his first season with Washington after four seasons in Baltimore and one season in Jacksonville. His career has been stymied somewhat by injury problems but he has been highly effective when healthy.

Johnson and his teammates will be in action at Redskins training camp, which is set to begin on July 28 at Redskin Park in Ashburn, Virginia. Admission and parking to training camp are free. Click here for driving directions and other pertinent information.

Patrick Johnson

Number: 84

Height: 5-10

Weight: 196

Experience: 6th season

College: Oregon

Career Highlight: Johnson was part of Baltimore's Super Bowl team in 2000. He caught one pass for eight yards in the Ravens' 34-7 win over the Giants in Super Bowl XXXV.

Did You Know?: Johnson finished second in the 100-meter dash at the Drake Relays, ahead of Carl Lewis. He also was the California state champion in the 100 and 200 meters in high school.

Expectations: Johnson's place in Washington's receiving corps is unclear right now. Head coach Steve Spurrier has named Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner the team's starters. But several other wide receivers are competing for back-up positions. Johnson has made a favorable impression this offseason, displaying a knack for making tough catches.

Quote: "I've had some injuries, but I've made some big plays. I'm a better person and better player because I've been through some injuries. I've been a starter in the past and not caught balls. So it's not about starting. I just want to fit in and become a better player. I'll have my time eventually."

-Patrick Johnson

Coles and Gardner are locks for 1 and 2. Jacobs has the inside track for #3. That leaves Johnson, McCants, and Russell jockeying for 4, 5, and 6.

And that's if Spurrier keeps six. He's got a logjam at RB, so if he wants to keep both Watson and Betts to go with Canidate and Morton, he might have to keep only 5 WRs. Seems unlikely given how much he likes to throw.

The rest of these guys, Wood****, Flowers, Cloman, Johnson, and Dillard (Skaggs is injured) are fighting for roster spots as special teamers.

every team needs depth players. Johnson is going to push for a spot and make everyone work harder.

his career stats and bio don't look any worse than most of the other aspiring #4 receivers in the NFL at this point. And his physical upside is there.

we can keep 6 WR's and 6 RB's (including FB's) if we go in with only 2 TE's on the roster. If we need that blocking TE we could just use somebody like Tre on the end as the 'eligible receiver' as in Sapp with the Bucs.

I think Johnson and Russell will be at #5 and #6 taking turns being activated on game day for the 48 man active roster.

Greetings from Fishers, IN and nice to see the light of day with Redskins fans here. I bask in the glows of revival years in 1971, 72 and 73 of Allen and will never, ever forget the glory years under Gibbs.

I don't think Watson will be on the roster come September. Candidate, Betts, Morton and even Rock on occassion, in short yardage pinches will be enough. With Johnson seeing most of the action as a run and pass catching fullback with Candidate, that allows Spurrier to keep an extra WR, at least on the special teams. The only way Watson can stay, is replace a player, should an injury occur or bump for the special teams. I don't see it, since the rotation of WR's in the backup mix is very important.

id say Johnson could be the #4 receiver just because i am excited about his speed and the fact he is very healthy for the first time in a while. But i also have just as high expectations for Rusell because he is also wery healthy for the first time in a while. No real conclusion on who is better, Rusell might have a edge on Johnson just because of what i have heard about Rusell and his rehab this past off season: he has become even faster and stronger than last season, we'll see.

Originally posted by glorydays

Greetings from Fishers, IN and nice to see the light of day with Redskins fans here. I bask in the glows of revival years in 1971, 72 and 73 of Allen and will never, ever forget the glory years under Gibbs.

I don't think Watson will be on the roster come September. Candidate, Betts, Morton and even Rock on occassion, in short yardage pinches will be enough. With Johnson seeing most of the action as a run and pass catching fullback with Candidate, that allows Spurrier to keep an extra WR, at least on the special teams. The only way Watson can stay, is replace a player, should an injury occur or bump for the special teams. I don't see it, since the rotation of WR's in the backup mix is very important.

Good analysis and welcome to the board!

His career has been stymied somewhat by injury problems but he has been highly effective when healthy.

That's stretching it a little. He has shown that he is capable of making big plays in the NFL, but he's never been consistent enough for me to refer to him as "highly effective".

I will say that Patrick Johnson vs. a dime back is a matchup the Redskins should win every week.

Archived