Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Organ Donation- Would you?

ljs

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I've been a designated organ donor on my license for years. I do have a personal story (unfortunately).

My son, who was 15 at the time, was shot in 2005. He was pronounced brain dead 19 hours later. He wouldn't breathe on his own at all..not even attempt when they removed the ventilator..so I knew it was over. We (my husband, daughter & I) decided to donate his organs. .

An amazing story, thank you for sharing.

I've been a designated organ donor on my license for years. I do have a personal story (unfortunately).

My son, who was 15 at the time, was shot in 2005. He was pronounced brain dead 19 hours later. He wouldn't breathe on his own at all..not even attempt when they removed the ventilator..so I knew it was over. We (my husband, daughter & I) decided to donate his organs. They couldn't use his heart & lungs b/c of asthma and damage from the vent oxygen levels being so high (he had an embolism due to the vent), but they used his kidneys, liver, pancrease and we donated tissue and bone from his upper arms and legs. I've never regretted that decision. He has helped 29 people so far to have a better life and I know he would be thrilled to know that his kidneys have helped get 2 people off of dialysis. He lives on thru these people and the local organ agency is just heaven sent. We get regular updates from the recipients thru them. I haven't contacted any of them yet..but you can do that now if it's agreeable to both parties. I will do it eventually.

This confirms exactly why I am an organ donor. I want something good to come from my death, and what better thing is there than to save someone else's life?

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard it is to lose a child.

I think that not being an organ donor is among the dumbest and most selfish decisions a person can make. What good will they do you after you're dead? Why would you not save a life?

I have had a number of patients who have been saved by organ donors. To me, the donors and (especially) their loved ones are true heroes.

I heard they don't fight as much to keep you alive when you're a donor. you're worth more dead to them.

Absolutely positively not true at any of the 4 hospitals I've worked at. I have dealt with many, many dying patients, and the donor/not donor status has never come up in a treatment decision. At each place, the organ donation evaluation team is intentionally completely separate than the treating team, and are not even told about the case until brain death is declared.

Archived