Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bringing the Past Forward

The Waterboy

haplesshazard has this topic posted on "breaking news" "Bringing the Past Forward"

The premise is sort of along the lines that Sling'n Sammy would be behind Colt in today's game.

But I submit if you are going to compare the past to the present, you have to bring that past player into the present as if he were born of the present age, not 90 years ago.

An updated youthful Sammy growing up in today's environment would not have the skills of a 1940's player, but one of the 21st Century.

If he was exceptional in the 1940s ... what would be the valuation of his skills in today's environment... sort of like comparing the inflation value of a $1M in 1940 versus what that would represent in today's economy.

So Jim Brown ran over lighter linemen in the 1960s, what would a modern Jim Brown weight today, running over today's linemen?

But I submit if you are going to compare the past to the present, you have to bring that past player into the present as if he were born of the present age, not 90 years ago.

An updated youthful Sammy growing up in today's environment would not have the skills of a 1940's player, but one of the 21st Century.

I think you've pretty much nailed it right there when it comes to the very best.

Hypotheticals, particularly when it comes to comparing different era's, and how one team/player would do against another, always bring up emotive arguments both for the present and the past teams. But as much as the game has evolved beyond recognition all ways from Baugh's era for example, I believe that the true greats would adapt and belong in ANY era.

Besides the fact that they'd benefit from today's advancement in diet, training etc, the one constant is pure God given talent and personal desire. That counts for the greats of any age. Those that had that in abundance, those that will be remembered for all time in the rich history of this great game as being the best at what they did, when they did it; would of adapted their mind, body and game to fit whatever era you want to put them in, IMHO in a hypothetical like this.

Hail.

I think that it is very hard to compare the two. The players are bigger, faster, stronger. The rules have changed ALOT, some benefits the offense and some the defense. The equiptment is better as well. I agree ith Gibbs Hog Heaven, the true greats will adapt in any era. However, it really is not the same game and hard to compare. You dont even need to go back as far as Baugh. If Art Monk had the no bump rule when he played he would have been even greater than he was. Fun to speculate, but no way to really know IMO>

HTTR

Sammy was a unique talent that would not change in this day and age, but Jim Brown was a man amongst boys. His size and speed was his talent, and at that time was unheard of. That doesnt change no matter how much you train.

If you took JB and put him in todays game he would be a decent player not the dominate player that he was. Heck most LB/DE are just as fast as he was.

Sammy was and still is considered one of the best to ever play the game.

Hypotheticals, particularly when it comes to comparing different era's, and how one team/player would do against another, always bring up emotive arguments both for the present and the past teams. But as much as the game has evolved beyond recognition all ways from Baugh's era for example, I believe that the true greats would adapt and belong in ANY era.

Besides the fact that they'd benefit from today's advancement in diet, training etc, the one constant is pure God given talent and personal desire. That counts for the greats of any age. Those that had that in abundance, those that will be remembered for all time in the rich history of this great game as being the best at what they did, when they did it; would of adapted their mind, body and game to fit whatever era you want to put them in, IMHO in a hypothetical like this.

said what i was pretty much going to say.

comparisons from earlier generations to today irritates me - in all sports. The way in which people are built (due to diets, health information, technology, etc) is completely different today than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago. On top of that, the games change themselves - everything from the rules, to the schemes, to the way in which players enter/are chosen for the league.

its pointless, moot, and tedious imo to have these sorts of conversations... and there is no 'correct' way at evaluating it due to the differences - there are only opinions.

Sammy was a unique talent that would not change in this day and age, but Jim Brown was a man amongst boys. His size and speed was his talent, and at that time was unheard of. That doesnt change no matter how much you train.

If you took JB and put him in todays game he would be a decent player not the dominate player that he was. Heck most LB/DE are just as fast as he was.

Sammy was and still is considered one of the best to ever play the game.

I pretty much agree with you. The only thing I'd add is that Sammy could throw the ball with fantastic accuracy in an age that didn't pass much. Accuracy is what lots of NFL QB hopefuls lack today, so he'd still be a great QB. Jim Brown was a monster and plowed over people, that wouldn't happen today, not that it takes anything away from Jim, because he still did things no one else can come close to.

The person I'd really like to bring into today's game from the past is Jim Thorpe. The guy could do anything on a football field (including Kicking and Punting) and was an Olympic gold medalist in the decathlon and pentathlon and played college and pro basketball and baseball AND football. The dude jumped a 6'5" high-jump (he was 5'11" and in those days they jumped with their stomachs close to the bar instead of with their backs close to the bar which takes of inches of height) and he ran the 100 yard dash in 10 seconds FLAT! For those of us who have a hard time with math, that's a 4 second flath 40 yard dash. The guy was a physical FREAK and the most dominant athlete EVER!

So when people say garbage like "Sammy Baugh would be at best a 4th stringer today" I point them to Jim Thorpe because NO ONE and I mean no one matches this guy in the entire history of sports, and that's they kind of guy Sammy competed against.

Archived