Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Rumor Central: McNabb gone by 2010?

bubba9497

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Click link for entire article

McNabb gone by 2010?

Donovon McNabb recently restructured his contract, but that doesn't mean he's going to be in Philadelphia beyond this season.

If the Eagles want to go with Kyle Kolb for next season, the Philadelphia Daily News suggests that they might just cut McNabb, save some money and move on. Just $3.5 million of his salary next year is guaranteed and, if they cut him by May 5 next year, he won't be due a $6.2 million bonus.

So new contract or not, if McNabb doesn't perform, he may be out of a job next year.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/No_Guarantee_McNabb_Will_Be_Back_In_2010_.html

No Guarantee McNabb Will Be Back In 2010

While Donovan McNabb likely will remain the Eagles’ starting quarterback for the next 2 seasons, I’ve got to disagree with those who think his recently-reworked contract makes that a given.

With or without his restructured deal, McNabb was going to be the team’s No. 1 quarterback this season. But his future with the Eagles beyond 2009 still will be determined by how he and the team do this season. His reworked deal doesn’t change that.

Let me explain. Under the previous terms of McNabb’s contract, the quarterback was scheduled to receive non-guaranteed base salaries of $9.2 million this year and $10 million in 2010.

Under the new terms, that $9.2 million this year is guaranteed, which really is irrelevant, since he was going to get that anyway if he was on the team’s season-opening roster. He also will get a $2.8 million roster bonus later this week and per-game bonuses that total another $500,000 if he is active for all 16 regular-season games.

But the restructuring of the final year of his deal in no way makes it onerous for the Eagles to trade or release him after the ’09 season if they decide it’s time to make a switch to Kevin Kolb.

While McNabb can pocket an extra $1.2 million in the final year of the reworked deal, just $3.5 million of his 2010 money is guaranteed, which is hardly enough to make the Eagles think twice about getting rid of him. Under the reworked terms, his base salary dropped from $10 million to $5 million, with the aforementioned $3.5 million of it guaranteed. He also has a $6.2 million roster bonus payable on May 5 of next year, in addition to $500,000 more in per-game bonuses.

But just as the Eagles did with Terrell Owens, when they released him before he was due a sizeable offseason roster bonus, they can release McNabb prior to next May and won’t be on the hook for a penny of that $6.2 million. All McNabb would be owed for 2010 is that $3.5 million guaranteed portion of his salary.

Bottom line, McNabb’s future with the Eagles beyond this season still will be determined by how this season goes. If he stays healthy and puts up big numbers and leads his team deep into the playoffs, he’ll be back. If he doesn’t, and/or the Eagles underachieve this season, Kevin Kolb will get his chance in 2010. McNabb’s restructured contract doesn’t change that.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

McNabb gone by 2010?

Donovon McNabb recently restructured his contract, but that doesn't mean he's going to be in Philadelphia beyond this season.

If the Eagles want to go with Kyle Kolb for next season, the Philadelphia Daily News suggests that they might just cut McNabb, save some money and move on. Just $3.5 million of his salary next year is guaranteed and, if they cut him by May 5 next year, he won't be due a $6.2 million bonus.

So new contract or not, if McNabb doesn't perform, he may be out of a job next year.

Kevin Kolb?

He'd of been gone back in '99 before he even started if the Philthy "fans" had, had their way.

Seriously, after all he's given to that organization, I don't get why he still hangs around for this **** from all quarters.

Hail.

Yeah, really...

McNabb is their best option at QB, a sure Hall-of-Famer and has done so much for that franchise. It's quite disgusting how little respect he gets from the teams own 'fans'.

I myself have my issues with Donovan, only due to his age and his heavy injury history. Speaking objectively, he is a good quarterback and can make the big plays. I think Donovan has a prima-donna attitude at times, and often only looks out for himself. I personally don't like how he handled the Jeff Garcia situation in 2006. I felt that getting his mother involved was taking it too far.

Another thing that people dont realize is that Donovan will basically be old in QB years when his contract is done in 2010. Donovan will turn 34 this season, so in 2 years he will be 36 looking at turning 37 in the 2011 season. I think that's old for a QB to start a second career for another franchise, especially as a starter. Who knows what his injury situation is by then too. Donovan has been hurt badly numerous times, missing alot of games, and having shortened seasons.

I think one more big injury and he is done as an eagle regardless. You can't bank what's left of his future to that team if he can't stay healthy, or gets hurt again.

Every Eagles fan I know appreciates McNabb for all his done, wanted him to sign a new contract, and has no desire to see Kevin Kolb play a meaningful down for this team.

The idea that "all" Eagles fans hate McNabb is so tired, besides being blatantly untrue.

Some hate him. Some love him. Most reside in the middle.

Every Eagles fan I know appreciates McNabb for all his done, wanted him to sign a new contract, and has no desire to see Kevin Kolb play a meaningful down for this team.

The idea that "all" Eagles fans hate McNabb is so tired, besides being blatantly untrue.

Some hate him. Some love him. Most reside in the middle.

Too late.

Too late.

Too late, what?

My words apply to the last ten years. It was always the case that a vocal minority was seen to be speaking for the entire fan base.

He got booed by a dozen fans at MSG, and that was meant to reflect the whole fan base. The city's mayor publicly advocated for Williams, and that was taken to reflect the whole city. Drooling morons call into WIP and scream about hating him and his mom, and that's meant to define everyone who's ever rooted for the team.

And all the while, he's the highest selling jersey on the team. All the while, he's never said anything bad about the fans. Part of that's because he's too classy. The other part is because (in my opinion) he recognizes that the stereotype-reinforcing idiots aren't indicative of a fan base that's large enough to make the Eagles the fifth most popular team in football.

Yeah, there are a lot of idiots. Far more than any other team in football. But there are plenty of reasonable people too (I happen to associate exclusively with the latter.

Too late, what?

My words apply to the last ten years. It was always the case that a vocal minority was seen to be speaking for the entire fan base.

He got booed by a dozen fans at MSG, and that was meant to reflect the whole fan base. The city's mayor publicly advocated for Williams, and that was taken to reflect the whole city. Drooling morons call into WIP and scream about hating him and his mom, and that's meant to define everyone who's ever rooted for the team.

And all the while, he's the highest selling jersey on the team. All the while, he's never said anything bad about the fans. Part of that's because he's too classy. The other part is because (in my opinion) he recognizes that the stereotype-reinforcing idiots aren't indicative of a fan base that's large enough to make the Eagles the fifth most popular team in football.

Yeah, there are a lot of idiots. Far more than any other team in football. But there are plenty of reasonable people too (I happen to associate exclusively with the latter.

Lol I just meant that it's too late to say you never want to see Kevin Kolb play. He already did last year.

That's why I (in my earlier post) I made some of your words bold.

Lol I just meant that it's too late to say you never want to see Kevin Kolb play. He already did last year.

That's why I (in my earlier post) I made some of your words bold.

Ah. Didn't see the bold. Yeah, I was at that game. It was actually a pretty easy beating to take. After one or two drives all I could do was laugh at his hapless attempts to play professional football.

Far as I can tell, Kevin Kolb supporters exist only as message board trolls. I've never met one in real life.

I myself have my issues with Donovan, only due to his age and his heavy injury history. Speaking objectively, he is a good quarterback and can make the big plays. I think Donovan has a prima-donna attitude at times, and often only looks out for himself. I personally don't like how he handled the Jeff Garcia situation in 2006. I felt that getting his mother involved was taking it too far.

Another thing that people dont realize is that Donovan will basically be old in QB years when his contract is done in 2010. Donovan will turn 34 this season, so in 2 years he will be 36 looking at turning 37 in the 2011 season. I think that's old for a QB to start a second career for another franchise, especially as a starter. Who knows what his injury situation is by then too. Donovan has been hurt badly numerous times, missing alot of games, and having shortened seasons.

I think one more big injury and he is done as an eagle regardless. You can't bank what's left of his future to that team if he can't stay healthy, or gets hurt again.

Kurt Warner was 34 when he signed with the Cardinals in 2005. He resigned with them this year. That old QB was a big reason the Cardinals made the SB. Don't go hating on us old guys!

McNabb is a sure Hall-of-Famer

McNabb is not yet a HOF QB, IMO. I think you would find a lot of respectable Philly sports writers saying the same thing. At least to this point is his career.

As I said before, McNabb accepted this "shut-up" money only because it guaranteed him $6 more mil this coming season, and possibly a 2nd year. But mainly because he'll still have an opportunity to get one more deal before his career is over, with another team. Those two factors, coupled with the fact that the Eagles FO didn't want to financially commit themselves to McNabb beyond his current contract, made this current compromise possible.

The latter is what speaks the loudest. You can't blame Eagle fans if McNabb walks after this coming season. That's a FO decision. McNabb lovers, you have to ask yourself why your FO would put themselves in an easier position to cut ties with McNabb.

The FO isn't ready to answer those questions, even though their intentions are blatantly obvious. That's why the company mantra that's been agreed upon when this compromised deal was signed was "we're just focused on the next 2 years". Meaning, we're not answering what everyone probably suspects.

What does everyone suspect? McNabb is a lame-duck in Philly, and why did the FO take this position?

McNabb is not yet a HOF QB, IMO. I think you would find a lot of respectable Philly sports writers saying the same thing. At least to this point is his career.

As I said before, McNabb accepted this "shut-up" money only because it guaranteed him $6 more mil this coming season, and possibly a 2nd year. But mainly because he'll still have an opportunity to get one more deal before his career is over, with another team. Those two factors, coupled with the fact that the Eagles FO didn't want to financially commit themselves to McNabb beyond his current contract, made this current compromise possible.

The latter is what speaks the loudest. You can't blame Eagle fans if McNabb walks after this coming season. That's a FO decision. McNabb lovers, you have to ask yourself why your FO would put themselves in an easier position to cut ties with McNabb.

The FO isn't ready to answer those questions, even though their intentions are blatantly obvious. That's why the company mantra that's been agreed upon when this compromised deal was signed was "we're just focused on the next 2 years". Meaning, we're not answering what everyone probably suspects.

What does everyone suspect? McNabb is a lame-duck in Philly, and why did the FO take this position?

The idea that they've purchased good will from McNabb after scuffing the relationship in the past year or two, thereby giving them a firm foundation from which to negotiate an extension in a year and a half if he continues to perform as he has the past two seasons, is not only valid, but more logical than any alternative theory you may be presenting.

That's why the company mantra that's been agreed upon when this compromised deal was signed was "we're just focused on the next 2 years".

I don't mean to quote myself here, but I just thought of a question I'd love to be asked of their FO.

On the field, you might be focused on the next 2 years, but it seems like the people controlling the money had a longer-term vision with this compromise. Can you talk about what they were considering?

The idea that they've purchased good will from McNabb after scuffing the relationship in the past year or two, thereby giving them a firm foundation from which to negotiate an extension in a year and a half if he continues to perform as he has the past two seasons, is not only valid, but more logical than any alternative theory you may be presenting.

If he didn't get his extension this time around, after being benched mid-season, then going one game from the Super Bowl, he's not getting it next year, or in two years, or ever with the Eagles franchise. This is all you have left with D-Mac, and your FO made that decision.

He'll happily look for another franchise, whether in 1 or 2 years.

If he didn't get his extension this time around, after being benched mid-season, then going one game from the Super Bowl, he's not getting it next year, or in two years, or ever with the Eagles franchise. This is all you have left with D-Mac, and your FO made that decision.

He'll happily look for another franchise, whether in 1 or 2 years.

If he plays well, there will be an extension and he'll finish his career in Philly.

If he plays poorly, he'll move on and have two bad seasons for a hapless team, flailing to reach the playoffs.

The Eagles are in a position of control. McNabb benefits substantially from remaining in the only offense in which he's ever played. Changing systems for the first time at 36 years old isn't what any QB wants. But if he doesn't play well between now and then, he won't have that option.

As always, shrewd handling of a veteran's pending contract situation.

If he plays well, there will be an extension and he'll finish his career in Philly.

If he plays poorly, he'll move on and have two bad seasons for a hapless team, flailing to reach the playoffs.

The Eagles are in a position of control. McNabb benefits substantially from remaining in the only offense in which he's ever played. Changing systems for the first time at 36 years old isn't what any QB wants. But if he doesn't play well between now and then, he won't have that option.

As always, shrewd handling of a veteran's pending contract situation.

So you're admitting McNabb was the loser in this deal? I think so too. I think he only agreed upon it because he'll at least get more gauranteed $ in the 1st year, and after that, he'll have a better chance immediately, or 1 year later to move on. Seriously, after this move by the Eagles, I don't think McNabb is looking to be extended by them anymore. He'll fulfill whatever he has to do here. After that, he's looking for a Jake Delhomme contract or better with another franchise.

McNabb fans have 1 more, maayyybe 2 year window.

So you're admitting McNabb was the loser in this deal? I think so too. I think he only agreed upon it because he'll at least get more gauranteed $ in the 1st year, and after that, he'll have a better chance immediately, or 1 year later to move on. Seriously, after this move by the Eagles, I don't think McNabb is looking to be extended by them anymore. He'll fulfill whatever he has to do here. After that, he's looking for a Jake Delhomme contract or better with another franchise.

McNabb fans have 1 more, maayyybe 2 year window.

He'll do what's best for his bank account and football legacy.

If he plays well for the next two years, the opportunity will come in Philadelphia.

If he plays poorly, the McNabb era will come to an end in Philadelphia.

The chances of him playing well/staying healthy and leaving the Eagles at the end of this contract are essentially nil.

He'll do what's best for his bank account and football legacy.

If he plays well for the next two years, the opportunity will come in Philadelphia.

If he plays poorly, the McNabb era will come to an end in Philadelphia.

The chances of him playing well/staying healthy and leaving the Eagles at the end of this contract are essentially nil.

The Eagles never do what is best by a mid 30's players bank account. That's why he'll look forward to the open market, sooner rather than later.

A lot of teams run the WCO. I wouldn't be so sure that he didn't accept this up front money in lieu of an extension, in exchange for an opportunity elsewhere (freedom, in other words) in 1 to 2 years.

Time will tell. And phrases, body language and avoidance of the future tell a lot at a teams fake celebratory press conference also.

Archived