Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Giants' weakness: No. 1 wide receiver

bubba9497

Anything below 50 degrees is cold for the Arizona Cardinals.

True enough I suppose. Personally its not cold to me til it hits minus 20. Although Colorado is starting to turn me soft. I would agree with you to a point, Carolina came out dominating and then messed up. Although no team gives the game away (the other team takes it), but the Panthers didn't do themselves any favours.

The difference this year is that it won't be a surprise when the Giants are without Burress. They know he isn't going to be there and they are preparing for life without him. Last year, it came unexpectedly. They weren't prepared for it. There is a wealth of young, talented WR's on the team. And they are seeing what they have and know they will have to go forward with what they have. They can make preparations to do so.

;6493844']The difference this year is that it won't be a surprise when the Giants are without Burress. They know he isn't going to be there and they are preparing for life without him. Last year' date=' it came unexpectedly. They weren't prepared for it. [/quote']

Agreed. I think they will come up with schemes to utilize what they have, start out in training camp, and end up doing just fine.

It was the ridiculous point analysis that I had a problem with.

Agreed. I think they will come up with schemes to utilize what they have, start out in training camp, and end up doing just fine.

It was the ridiculous point analysis that I had a problem with.

Why is it ridiculous? The Giants averaged 26 points a game with or without Burress. I don't care how they got them. Would it have been nice to have Burress on the field? Sure, but he wasn't the only reason the Giants faltured done the stretch. He wouldn't have bailed Eli out in that playoff game and he wouldn't have been able to get pressure on McNabb.

They let the Giants, without Burress, drive down the field with less than 5 minutes to go for a TD. Then allowed the 2 point conversion. Then missed a game winning field goal as time expired.

They had numerous chances to put the game away and squandered every one of them.

It was a close game from start to finish. It was a 50 yard FG that they missed not a chip shot. The Panthers biggest lead was at half time when they led by 8 points. If you want to talk about domination look no further than the 44-6 drubbing the Cowboys took with a playoff spot on the line.:doh:

It was a close game from start to finish. It was a 50 yard FG that they missed not a chip shot. The Panthers biggest lead was at half time when they led by 8 points. If you want to talk about domination look no further than the 44-6 drubbing the Cowboys took with a playoff spot on the line.:doh:

The game was Carolina's for the taking.

Bottom line is that they squandered numerous opportunities to put it away, and they didn't.

And Kasay has had a very solid career hitting long FGs. So while it wasn't a chip shot, its a FG he hits a lot more times than not.

;6493844']The difference this year is that it won't be a surprise when the Giants are without Burress. They know he isn't going to be there and they are preparing for life without him. Last year' date=' it came unexpectedly. They weren't prepared for it. There is a wealth of young, talented WR's on the team. And they are seeing what they have and know they will have to go forward with what they have. They can make preparations to do so.[/quote']

They are in such great shape that you spent the entire offseason basically pleading for them to trade for Edwards. :laugh:

They are in such great shape that you spent the entire offseason basically pleading for them to trade for Edwards. :laugh:

And they didn't. So they will work with what they have. I have all the confidence in the world in the Giants' coaching staff. They have done some pretty incredible things with this team since they have arrived. It may take the WR's a few games to get in sync, and as long as it doesn't start out with a long losing streak, I can see year I believe six in a row in the playoffs.

But I understand you wanting to get on me because the offseason is the only real time the Eagles have a chance at winning the Super Bowl. :D

The Giants kind of have a log jam at WR, and I think the saying "if you have a lot you probably have nothing" applies pretty well here. They have plenty of "young and talented options" but will any of these guys really step up into legit starters in 09? What if Jacobs goes down and they dont have the smashmouth running game to rely on? (Now that they dont have Ward either)

I know Giants' fans don't want to hear this, but this is probably their weakest team in the last three years.

It all depends on their offensive line play.

I agree, and I've been saying this for months but Giants homer doesn't want to hear it.

Lot of young kids at WR and it's yet to be determined how they will respond without the veteran presence of Toomer and Burress. We all saw with our damn eyes how bad the Giants were after Burress shot himself in the foot.

I expect significantly worse results than last year from this Giants team. Yes, the D is still there (unless players are out for the season from preseason activity again), and the running game might still be there, but the passing game is a question mark.

;6499011']And they didn't. So they will work with what they have. I have all the confidence in the world in the Giants' coaching staff. They have done some pretty incredible things with this team since they have arrived. It may take the WR's a few games to get in sync' date=' and as long as it doesn't start out with a long losing streak, I can see year I believe six in a row in the playoffs.

But I understand you wanting to get on me because the offseason is the only real time the Eagles have a chance at winning the Super Bowl. :D[/quote']

Let's not kid ourselves here T.

You'd swap your Nicks and Barden straight up for Edwards right now without hesitating.

Let's not kid ourselves here T.

You'd swap your Nicks and Barden straight up for Edwards right now without hesitating.

You know, just because Cowboy fans don't have any problem with getting fleeced by the worst franchise in the NFL for the right to overspend on a wildly overrated number 2 receiver, you can't assume all teams fans would actually be in favor of paying similar compensation, even if the player in question is vastly better than the schlub you got.

You know, just because Cowboy fans don't have any problem with getting fleeced by the worst franchise in the NFL for the right to overspend on a wildly overrated number 2 receiver, you can't assume all teams fans would actually be in favor of paying similar compensation, even if the player in question is vastly better than the schlub you got.

Speak for yourself. Tom went out of his way to display his desperation for one of the "available" wideouts, going so far as to post speculation from another message board under the guise that the poster is "usually right."

I would never presume to speak for Tom, and I wasn’t with my last post. I do vaguely recall Tom’s enthusiasm for trading some combination of picks and players for Braylon, but this is the second time that I can definitely recall HeHateMe peddling this idea of trading Nicks and Barden for Edwards straight up. The first time he was much more liberal in his use of generalities substituting “all fans” where “Tom” would appear.

Meh.

Big T has been wanting Edwards for some time now and is still holding out hope he somehow lands in NY.

But you're right, everything the Giants do and do not do is right. They do no wrong, buddy.

At least Tom doesn't stick to the company line and actually voices what he wants that the Giants aren't doing.

Exactly why people pay him mind. You? Not so much.

I would never presume to speak for Tom, and I wasn’t with my last post. I do vaguely recall Tom’s enthusiasm for trading some combination of picks and players for Braylon, but this is the second time that I can definitely recall HeHateMe peddling this idea of trading Nicks and Barden for Edwards straight up. The first time he was much more liberal in his use of generalities substituting “all fans” where “Tom” would appear.

He's the voice of the Giants 'round these parts.

Get used to it.

I wonder if you'll ever realize how painfully pathetic your tough guy Cowboy shtick is? We get it already, you have 10,000 posts, you're very proud of yourself, it's quite the lifetime accomplishment, so just stop with the veiled references already. It's embarrassing, and unfortunately for you tenure and post count are irrelevant in this discussion, so how about keeping the conversation about the actual game of football? Not that you watch any... no wait, you were at Giants stadium last December, correct? The one where they were getting blown out by the Panthers until the 4th quarter, right?

Whoops! Your underwear is showing again.

Actually, I was all for the Giants trading a first and third for Edwards. Heck, I wouldn't have been totally against that trade for Boldin either even though he is a couple of years older. But, saying now that the trade would be Nicks and Barden for Edwards, I'm a bit more hesistant. Not because I think either one are better than Edwards. That would be naive. But, I am very curious to see what Nicks is capable of doing with those big hands and the way he catches almost everything thrown to him. The big question is Barden. Can he play all 6'6" in the NFL and at the red zone.

Sure, I wanted Edwards. But I don't think I would want to give up Nicks and Barden for him now. I'd like to see what they do in blue.

However, I would give them up for Marshall if character was not an issue with him. I've learned from the Burress thing. No more character issues. But would love him on the team if he wasn't.

I know Giants' fans don't want to hear this, but this is probably their weakest team in the last three years.

It all depends on their offensive line play.

How long have Giants fans been hearing this? Ever since Eli has taken over. And they have made the playoffs each year he has been a starter. And it's about time some other teams fan started the doubting of the Giants. You've all but clinched a playoff spot for them now. :D

*Note that was sarcasm and I don't really believe a comment made by tr1 means the Giants will go to the playoffs.

It is sad I had to make that statement but you know someone would have taken a shot at me for saying it. But your comments are still welcome Westbrook. :D

Do I have to make a disclaimer for that remark too or are we good?

;6501908']How long have Giants fans been hearing this? Ever since Eli has taken over. And they have made the playoffs each year he has been a starter. And it's about time some other teams fan started the doubting of the Giants. You've all but clinched a playoff spot for them now. :D

Oh, without a doubt, Giant fans are certainly entitled to the last laugh when it comes to the previous few years, but this is the first year I've felt this way about the Giants...and you might check my track record about the Eagles and the pukes when, though predicted to be very, very good, I said they would be very, very average.

Not that the Giants will be average. If the o-line plays well, they'll do well...I just don't think they will.

I wonder if you'll ever realize how painfully pathetic your tough guy Cowboy shtick is? We get it already, you have 10,000 posts, you're very proud of yourself, it's quite the lifetime accomplishment, so just stop with the veiled references already. It's embarrassing, and unfortunately for you tenure and post count are irrelevant in this discussion, so how about keeping the conversation about the actual game of football? Not that you watch any... no wait, you were at Giants stadium last December, correct? The one where they were getting blown out by the Panthers until the 4th quarter, right?

Whoops! Your underwear is showing again.

Make yourself feel better? Good for you sport. Sorry to have upset you. I never intentionally do it.

Yep, I was at that game. The one where the fans booed them the entire game until the 4th quarter. That one.

I'm not even a Giants fan and I know more about your team and fanbase than you ever will.

But keep trying to sound oh so cool and intellectual on a message board. It suits you. Really it does.

;6504030']All of a sudden' date=' a unit that has been together for several years playing quite well, and is still pretty young won't play well? Okay, if you say so.[/quote']

Unless that line plays extremely well and without injury, we all know what kind of damage Eli can do.

;6504030']All of a sudden' date=' a unit that has been together for several years playing quite well, and is still pretty young won't play well? Okay, if you say so.[/quote']

OL's always look good when you have a safety valve for an average QB to check to whenever he feels pressure. Now that Burress is gone, Eli simply doesn't have it. I really enjoyed your spin of how now that the Giants realize they don't have Burress, it won't be a problem! That was hilarious. We don't have as much talent but we realize it so we won't have the same problem we had last year with the same team minus some first year WRs.

Also, without Burress, how good did your OL look against the Eagles in the playoffs? You know, the one where Bunkley and Patterson was pushing the **** in on your entire OL during the game?

Unless that line plays extremely well and without injury, we all know what kind of damage Eli can do.

Interesting, you are generally generous towards the Giants. Have to see how this plays out.

The Giant defense will of course be just as good if not better than the last two years.

I do agree that PB will be missed and will put more pressure on Eli. I have always been suspect of Eli. He peaked at the right time two years ago. However, he is up and down. Sometimes he looks good and sometimes he doesn't.

History shows rookie WR's don't always produce their first year. If teams can key the Giant run game they are going to struggle offensively. Struggle does not mean mediocre, but they won't produce with the same offensive production when PB was playing.

Archived