Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Matt Mosley: Orakpo Open to Change

SMOSS89

It seems like the only reason the Skins are doing this because they are weak at SLB.

:whoknows:

I'd much rather have Orakpo as the full-time DE and draft/acquire a full-time SAM, but that's just me.

:2cents:

there was another thread on this and a lot of the geniuses on this site think we are going to adopt some hybrid 3-4/4-3 packages, which theoretically I guess is possible with haynesworth though I think very improbable... I was against the idea of drafting orakpo to be anything but a hand in the dirt DE and let him grow into the position if need be, but if there is one guy on the team whose opinion I completely bow down to, it's blache... curious to see how it works but had hoped his arrival would secure that other side of the line for years and years to come...

i'll trust blache.

though i definitely dont agree with the negative andre carter talk. i think a lot of people (skins fans and football fans in general) will be surprised with his performance this season.

agreed, bashing carter is absolute ignorance of football.. anyone watching him during a game sees all protection slide to him... double teams, chipping, you name it, with the other side left to a man on man situation and we've never had anyone that could beat their man, giving andre some relief...

where were all these people in the other thread? i guess all the smart people ventured over here huh? lol

moving him to LB is stupid, plain and simple.

Ideally, Orakpo successfully mans the LDE spot, and someone else successfully mans the SLB slot... but if coaches are far more concerned over the linebacking spot than i can't really argue with them.

This is only stupid if they try it and it fails. Actually, it's only stupid if they try it, it fails, and they don't then change the plan. JMO.

The only way Rak excels as an OLB in the NFL is on a 3-4 D. He is an explosion player that use's his first step and strength to get on top on tackles, similar to Ware. As a 4-3 OLB his lack of speed and lack of coverage ability will cause huge disadvantages for the D. Anyone that thinks Rak can match up with recieving NFL TE's is asking for problems.

I'd love to have a stud pass rushing DE, sure he'll get pushed around a time or two on runs but he has the ability of a 4-3 DE in the mold of a Tuck or Osi in NY. I respect Blache but I don't agree with playing a rookie out of position.

I do like Carter, but he is even more undersized than Orakpo, and I don't think he has as high a ceiling as Orakpo. I know carter was highly thought of coming out of college, but I looked back at that draft, and he was always really considered a finesse/speed player. Kiper had Carter much further down the board, and there was some argument that he was overdrafted by the 49'ers.Although I do like him as a player, he has only had double digit sacks in 2/8 years, 2002 & 2007. Six out of eight years he has had less than 7 sacks. I think we would all be disappointed in getting that level of production out of Orakpo. Orakpo looks to be a much more physical player, but still has the requisite speed to turn the corner.

I may be lambasted for this, but I think our future might be peppers at LDE and Orakpo at RDE. Next year definitely looks like an uncapped year. Haynesworth's 2010-loaded contract supports that, at least our owner thinks it will be. Peppers hasn't shown any inclination to return to the panthers, and my guess is, that he won't sign his franchise tender without a clause that he can not be 'franchised' or 'transitioned' in 2010.You know if Snyder had a chance, in an uncapped system, to line up Peppers, Haynesworth, whoever, and Orakpo, he would drop whatever it took to get it done. We might not have been on Pepper's list this year, but I don't think he could turn down an opportunity to play with Haynesworth and Orakpo next year. He will be 30 in 2010, has had no health problems, and probably has 4 to 5productive years left.

I don't think our 2010 SAM is currently on the roster.

Archived