Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Matt Mosley: Orakpo Open to Change

SMOSS89

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-10-34/Redskins--Orakpo-is-open-to-change.html

After conducting somewhere in the neighborhood of 23 interviews and posing for pictures, Orakpo was kind enough to visit with the Beast on Sunday. He was particularly excited about the time he spent with Haynesworth.

"My first reaction to meeting him was, 'Wow, this guy's huge,' said Orakpo. "It's impossible to block him one-on-one. With me and Haynesworth, it's going to be a great defensive line. We were doing our stunts together, and I think we'll have a lot in store for people."

I for one agree with most of what Mosley had to say in his article. I don't agree with lucking out on drafting the best DE in the entire draft, only to make him a linebacker. I don't care about all that part time pass rush situation stuff. I would even move Andre Carter to LE just to stick Orakpo at RE. I believe if played full time at RE, rushing the passer next to Haynesworth, Orakpo could easily have 12 sacks this season. I am not sure I can say the same for Andre carter.

having said that, I just think him being played a s a linebacker, part or full time is dumb. Just my 2 cents.

i hate the idea of moving him to LB

Blache does this for a living, i'm merely a fan with an opinion. i just hope he knows what he's doing

frankly, i would rather see Carter get moved and let Orakpo play at RE. its not like Carter is a pro-bowl player

I for one agree with most of what Mosley had to say in his article. I don't agree with lucking out on drafting the best DE in the entire draft, only to make him a linebacker. I don't care about all that part time pass rush situation stuff. I would even move Andre Carter to LE just to stick Orakpo at RE. I believe if played full time at RE, rushing the passer next to Haynesworth, Orakpo could easily have 12 sacks this season. I am not sure I can say the same for Andre carter.

having said that, I just think him being played a s a linebacker, part or full time is dumb. Just my 2 cents.

QFT

only the skins could recieve a gift from god in the draft at a position of dire need for the past 15 years, and then go out put that player out of position. :chair:

I think this is a temporary solution to the void at SAM ... it's about egtting the best players on the field at the same time. Hopefully someone will step up, or we will sign a FA OLB next year or draft one. I expect Orakpo to be a full time DE by next season, but it also helps disguise defensive packages when you have someone with his type of versatility. I think this gives Blache all sorts of ways to get creative with the defense.

QFT

only the skins could recieve a gift from god in the draft at a position of dire need for the past 15 years, and then go out put that player out of position. :chair:

The funny thing about it is that size can not be used as an excuse.

Per NFL.com

Brian Orakpo - 6' 3" 263lbs

Andre Carter - 6' 4" 252lbs

Blache does this for a living, i'm merely a fan with an opinion. i just hope he knows what he's doing

frankly, i would rather see Carter get moved and let Orakpo play at RE. its not like Carter is a pro-bowl player

Yeah, let's play Carter out of position, particularly after SF tried it with mixed results and with Carter hating the move. :doh:

Personally, I'd rather have Orakpo on the field on every down rather than putting him in on passing downs, which is what is likely to happen if he's just at DE. I also like the versitility that he will have if he can play LB as well as DE.

This guy needs to be lined up next to Haynesworth every down.

I think AH played right tackle for the most part with the Titans. If he does the same here, and Rak plays SLB, and LDE on passing downs. It may be that he never lines up next to AH.

personally, i'd rather have orakpo on the field on every down rather than putting him in on passing downs, which is what is likely to happen if he's just at de. I also like the versitility that he will have if he can play lb as well as de.

+1

In our most successful pass rushing years our olb's have had more sacks than our de's. I'm not too worried about him at slb cause you know he'll get to blitz a lot. He fits our scheme as a pass rushing olb while the defensive line has continuity of being a run-stopping unit, except this year we have better penetration from our DT spot. McIntosh just isn't the pass rusher that we used to have in Arrington or Washington, and I doubt Fincher or Blades are better than Rocky at rushing the passer.

If Orakpo was starting at DE and we had Fincher at OLB we would probably get destroyed by teams running it to the outside, which the cowboys and eagles will do plenty of that next year.

I think AH played right tackle for the most part with the Titans. If he does the same here, and Rak plays SLB, and LDE on passing downs. It may be that he never lines up next to AH.
That may be true but in all the interviews Orakpo talks about being lined up next to him. We shall see, I would hate after all these years of not having a dominant pass rush that we take the top DE in the draft and stick his ass at LB. I have waited years for us to have a sick ass DE dont take it away from me!!!

I think I'll put my trust in Coach Blache and watch some preseason games before launching into an authoritative rant on how we've already ruined the guy's career.

+1 ... I said in another thread before that out of anyone whether you are talking about coaching staff, player or even in the FO Blatche is the person I trust the most. He is PROVEN in this league, if he says Orakpo should be a LB I trust him ... shoot if he says he should be at CB I trust him ... LOL ... I kid I kid.

When it comes down to it known of us know about the X's and O's more of a defense more than Blatche that I can be sure of (and I'm including Mosely who is nothing but a blogger which any of us could do).

"With me and Haynesworth, it's going to be a great defensive line. We were doing our stunts together, and I think we'll have a lot in store for people."

This line made me smile. One of the biggest knocks on rookie DE's is a lack of moves. Most come into the league as one trick ponies. This sounds to me like a seasoned pro who understands the mental aspect of the game.

As for position, he already knows how to play end. I'm sure he will get his reps in that position. This is about extending his versatility. It sounds like he is smart enough to take the job on.

As for position, he already knows how to play end. I'm sure he will get his reps in that position.

He knows how to be a DE at the college level. The transition isn't seamless. Why stunt it with this LB crap? I'm with Mosley. This is a shame, or a sham, if you prefer. Thankfully, it was just one weekened, but it seems like that's the plan based on what we've been reading.

We were fools to not move Chris Wilson to LB LAST year. We picked up Jason Taylor, and basically Chris couldnt get on the field even though taylor sucked. I presume he may not have the speed for LB, but he seems pretty damn quick to me. We were thin behind Marcus last year and I think we are a year late.

Keep Orakpo at end, thats why we got him. thats what he does.

This line made me smile. One of the biggest knocks on rookie DE's is a lack of moves. Most come into the league as one trick ponies. This sounds to me like a seasoned pro who understands the mental aspect of the game.

I read an article somewhere where it said that Orapko watches tape of pro pass rushers, so he seems to be a guy who knows that he can't be a one move guy in the NFL.

I don't know if there will ever be a spot for a smaller guy at LDE in base formations in a Blache defense. That is why I was high on Tyson Jackson leading up to the draft.

With the coaches pushing for pass rush/more aggressive scheme to pressure the QB, and get turnovers, and then the selection of Orakpo, It appeared that Blache would adapting his philosophy. Now is it an "experiment" just for the early stages of the offseason?

If Orakpo plays well at SLB, then thats great, but it is likely that that is where he will be getting the majority of his snaps. At what point do you ask him to drop some of the weight to better fit the SLB role? Maybe thats not the case, maybe he is quick and fluid enough to excel at SLB at 260 plus.

Will he be as effective rushing the QB in passing situations if he just chased a TE or RB downfield on a pass rout on the previous play? I don't want to see his opportunities limited in rushing the passer.

This not a bash on Blache. I think he has done an excellent job. But I question our expectations for Orakpo in Blache's scheme. It may not be realistic to see Orakpo or any guy with that type of skill set at LDE, full time, sacrificing run defense for pressure defense.

If Orakpo is going to excel in the is defense it may have to be as a hybrid, either that or replace Carter as the full time RDE.

I would not look to much into him playing linebacker the first day of mini camp.

Remember they have nobody at SAM now, and there were starters out. Orakpo is also very athletic and they could have simply been taking a looksee to see what he could do there.

It's waaaaay to early to wring our hands over a mini camp.

Remember Haynesworth said he moved around alot with the Titans in he played both DT's and sometimes he lined up at the DE position. Blache will have these guys moving around you can be sure of that. I don't care if RAK is lined up at OLB in our base D..he will bring the heat with blitz off the edge.

To my understanding, Daniels is still considered (when healthy of course) one of the better DE's against the run. I'd rather have him playing the run then Orakpo against Barber and Jacobs etc.

By the same token you want Orakpo on the field, particulary ahead of guys like Robert Thomas, Blades and Wilson.

So (if this stays the scenario heading into the season), I'm for this move IF he's a fit back there, and IF he's still rushing the passer quite a bit.

I just can't wait to see how much less time opposing QBs will have against this front. This could be a fun year for the defensive guys.

Archived