Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking for my first electric guitar, what to get?

IbleedBnG83

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Not looking to spend a lot. I have been getting my reps in on an acoustic and I wanted to start getting time on an electric guitar.

I've narrowed it down to the standard beginner guitars...

1. Fender Squier Strat

2. Ibanez GRX20

3. Yamaha Pacifica

Also, any suggestions a quality amp would be great, thanks!

if i were you i would head to www.rondomusic.com.

get a guitar with dual humbuckers (more versatile tones for someone just beginning to play electric) and then go to the local music store and get new gearheads.

those are quality guitars - better than the ones you listed IMO and some are actually cheaper. i got one as a backup guitar for gigs and have used it in recording at times even over far more expensive guitars.

the gearheads are key, though. the main problem with these guitars is that they do not stay in tune as well as youd like. new gearheads correct this by about 50% IMO.

one of these guitars + new gearheads = pretty damn servicable Fender, and easily better than a Squier.

also, the amp will depend on what you want to play. classic rock stuff, find a used Fender Blues Jr.

i would only buy a tube amp. might be a couple hundred more, but that is money you might save by using Rondo Music and the amp will be incredible. dont be fooled by the size. 10 or 15 watts of tube power will tear the paint off your walls.

my favorite amp is a 5 watt copy Fender 5F1. it was used to record a ton of classic records. the thing is LOUD.

bottom line:

rondo music guitar in whatever style you want + gearheads. looking at maybe $160 MAX.

spend $300 on an amp youll use forever. that is money better spent than blowing the same cash on a guitar youll want to upgrade soon anyway.

also, a tube amp can be easily resold at any time.

Fender tube amps are recession proof. if you get one and have questions about it, let me know. i built the 5F1's circuit board.

for another hundred $ you can probably get a mexistrat or a les paul jr.

I was about to suggest the same thing. I recommend searching for a used one w/e brand you decide. I bought a used Mexi Strat 5 years ago for $275. It's still my main practice piece. Even over all my other guitars. Search local Pawn/Music stores. Even if the seller tells you its been "setup" I would still take it to a guitar shop and get it setup anyway. Unless of course you purchased it in a repair shop. Oh also check out Tokai and Epiphone.:D

Not looking to spend a lot. I have been getting my reps in on an acoustic and I wanted to start getting time on an electric guitar.

I've narrowed it down to the standard beginner guitars...

1. Fender Squier Strat

2. Ibanez GRX20

3. Yamaha Pacifica

Also, any suggestions a quality amp would be great, thanks!

What is your budget? Bc there is no reason to buy a cheapo squire for 200 when you could prob get a great deal on a good guitar used on like craigslist....I found s shlub who needed money badly and i bought an american highway one tele for 100 dollars cash...

I would def look up Craigslist ....ppl are always selling gear and I have got some amazing stuff for super cheap there man...don't buy new maybe have someone who you know that is knowledgable go with you to check out the guitar to make sure all is good...

May want to look into Laguna as well they have a good begginer guitar that has a solid basswood body and comes with a inline spider 3 - 15 watt amp for around $300 - $400

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laguna-Ultimate-Rock-Rack-Electric-Guitar-Pack-with-Spider-III-15W-Amp-Black-104510029-i1375179.gc

My brother works at a Guitar Center in N.C.. He said to stay away from the bundles. Why? because they usually bundle the $#%^^& equipment together.

My brother works at a Guitar Center in N.C.. He said to stay away from the bundles. Why? because they usually bundle the $#%^^& equipment together.

I agree but for a beginner this is a pretty darn good package. I bought it about 4 months ago and it still plays like new. Eventually I will replace the amp for a better one but the guitar is top notch for a beginner and the amp is perfect for starting out.

You should ask your brother about this one and let me know what he thinks.

I went ahead and got a guitar. I got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II Deluxe. Beautiful guitar, good price. Eventually I will probably replace the tuners and pickups on it, but for now, it suits my needs.

The amp I got is a line 6. Its OK, but I can tell that I will need to replace that once i start getting into some more serious music other than chord exercises and basic songs.

Archived