Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don Banks of SI.com: Eagles appear to be front runner for TE Gonzalez

WALEOVECHKIN

I do not think the addition of T. Gonzalez is going to change anything for the Eagles. They have no run game. Westbroke is over/under for games played this year is probably 10. He will turn 30 beforthe season starts. They don't have the gut to pull the trigger on Bolden or Edwards so there going to make this half hearted attemp to get Tony G. Even if they land him what really is he going to accomplish, he himself is 33 and on the down turn whether or not he got 1000 yards last season.

Let me get this straight. You think, that if the Eagles line up the following on 1st & goal:

WRs: Jackson, Curtis

TE: Gonzalez

FB: Weaver

RB: Westbrook

that it won't change anything? I guess we've at least identified your extremebias. I'll agree WB's best days are mostly behind him, but he is still a weapon, and they're most likely going to pick a RB early in this draft as well.

The more I think about this possible trade though, the more I'd rather them get Moreno and Cook.

Last year. You know, the year he had 96 catches.

The fragile guy. The fragile guy who has missed TWO GAMES in his entire career.

TWO GAMES IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER.

Jeez, you are getting worse everyday, tr1. At least try.

Just to play devils advocate, Jason Taylor had an amazing consecutive games streak going into last year and now is considered "fragile" by many. At a similar point in his career. Just saying, from experience, dont get too excited.

Let me get this straight. You think, that if the Eagles line up the following on 1st & goal:

that it won't change anything? I guess we've at least identified your extremebias. I'll agree WB's best days are mostly behind him, but he is still a weapon, and they're most likely going to pick a RB early in this draft as well.

The more I think about this possible trade though, the more I'd rather them get Moreno and Cook.

You know why it wont change anything? Because Andy will still call a screen pass to Westbrook, or if he does call for Gonzo, even he wont be able to catch the ball with his feet.

That said, you replace Curtis with a big target like Boldin/Plax and throw Moreno/Wells in the mix...and yes, that is major major trouble.

Ok, First you list one situation of a football game of a million and you think that proves your point. They have to get to the goal line, they just don't start there. Westbrook will probably miss 4-6 games this year and we know what happens when he does't play. What has Kevin Curtis done besides put up 200 yds on the Lions. And is DeSean Jackson has a solid rookie season and he is Calvin Johnson now. What does DeSean Jackson do for you in the redzone, he is a midget, he strikes from way back. The Eagles defense has 0 leadership, and 0 toughness. Throw in the fact that they have,yet again, ticked off another player who happens to be there starting CB in Sheldon Brown by being cheap and stingy. McNabb chokes under pressure, throws the ball erratically. Did Andy Reid tell you they were going to draft a Running Back early and what if they get another dud. The two lineman they got, one is a Fat but that has alot of issues with staying in shape and knowing a scheme and the other is coming off a major knee injury. After all this, I just don't see how they will be better than 9-6-1 of last year with the addition of TG. Maybe my extreme bias got in the way, so if the Eagles go 10-6 or better then your point will be proven if not then maybe you just don't know as much as you think. Good luck to your Eagles, and there unstoppable goal line offense!

IMO, the main area the Eagles O truly struggled last year was short yardage and goal-to-go situations, hence the reason I brought that up. I can see the huge benefit the Redskins D is going to see by them picking up Haynesworth and am willing to admit it. But I find it humorous when the Eagles' offseason is considered a failure, yet they replaced both tackles, got a huge upgrade at FB, upgrade a S, and this is before the draft even takes place.

As to the D having 0 toughness/leadership, I guess we'll see. If JJ isn't coaching, then I'd definitely buy into that line of thought, but not just the loss of Dawk.

Yes, AR did tell me they were going to draft a RB early. Saw him at Dunkin Donuts.

IMO, the main area the Eagles O truly struggled last year was short yardage and goal-to-go situations, hence the reason I brought that up. I can see the huge benefit the Redskins D is going to see by them picking up Haynesworth and am willing to admit it. But I find it humorous when the Eagles' offseason is considered a failure, yet they replaced both tackles, got a huge upgrade at FB, upgrade a S, and this is before the draft even takes place.

As to the D having 0 toughness/leadership, I guess we'll see. If JJ isn't coaching, then I'd definitely buy into that line of thought, but not just the loss of Dawk.

Yes, AR did tell me they were going to draft a RB early. Saw him at Dunkin Donuts.

Not just the loss of Dawk? You really don't think that he brought an attitude to the whole defense, you really think they won't miss that confidence and swagger, thats ridiculous. I wasn't going to beleive the AR line until you said Dunkin Donuts. JJ brings the pressure, he does not make them tough. If the word failure here means that they didn't improve, then yes it is a failure. They lost a bit and didn't gain that much. Leonard W. was an up grade but can you say the same about the tackles, Peters had a rough year in 08 and needs to get back into shape and Andrews is coming off a major knee injury, and the other Andrews didn't play much last year.

Not just the loss of Dawk? You really don't think that he brought an attitude to the whole defense, you really think they won't miss that confidence and swagger, thats ridiculous. I wasn't going to beleive the AR line until you said Dunkin Donuts. JJ brings the pressure, he does not make them tough. If the word failure here means that they didn't improve, then yes it is a failure. They lost a bit and didn't gain that much. Leonard W. was an up grade but can you say the same about the tackles, Peters had a rough year in 08 and needs to get back into shape and Andrews is coming off a major knee injury, and the other Andrews didn't play much last year.

The Eagles of 2009 will be better than the Eagles of 2008 at LT, RT, LG, FB, and TE.

We'll see what happens at S. I believe the compliment of Demps and S. Jones will be very similar to Demps and Dawkins of last year.

The biggest issue this team faces is Sheldon Brown's situation.

Archived