Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pulmonary embolism

Fletch_Lives59

Have any ES member been diagnosed with these? I was in the hospital for the past 4 days and was diagnosed with these in both lungs. I now have to take Coumadin and give myself 2 shots a day of Lovenox in my stomach. The only symptoms I had were pains in my chest, no swelling in my legs or shortness of breath.

The hospital ran a ton of test, Ultra sound on my legs and a echocardiogram and everything came back as being ok.

My old man had one. It was secondary to undiagnosed DVT in both legs. You said your legs came back clear? Any idea where the clots came from?

Don't know how healthy you are, but definitely take whatever advice the docs gave you about a healthier lifestyle and keep up with your meds. My dad kept up with his for a while, but kinda let go when he was getting divorced and ended up having a big stroke about 10 years after his PE. :(

Have any ES member been diagnosed with these? I was in the hospital for the past 4 days and was diagnosed with these in both lungs. I now have to take Coumadin and give myself 2 shots a day of Lovenox in my stomach. The only symptoms I had were pains in my chest, no swelling in my legs or shortness of breath.

The hospital ran a ton of test, Ultra sound on my legs and a echocardiogram and everything came back as being ok.

Unless they know your condition is acquired (drug side effect, trauma, etc) make sure they screen you for the common genetic conditions. The most common is Factor V Leiden, but there a handful of other genetic conditions that cause a person to clot more easily. Even if they know you condition is due to a specific event, I would still get the genetic testing done.

Anyway, you dodged a bullet, so congratulations.

Wow that sounds serious (I just read the Wiki entry). Best of luck to you, hope you get well

It can be pretty bad. Sounds like the OP's case was actually kinda mild. When my dad had his, he was walking up the stairs at a Metro station and it dropped him to the ground. Said it was like getting kicked in the chest and then someone standing on it. Thank God he was in DC when it happened! (Went to GW....good folks there.)

PE is something that those who sit at a desk all day need to look out for, if you aren't a very active person. Sitting around all day and not being very active can help cause those clots to form.

So get yo asses up and walk around the office every hour or so. :)

Unless they know your condition is acquired (drug side effect, trauma, etc) make sure they screen you for the common genetic conditions. The most common is Factor V Leiden, but there a handful of other genetic conditions that cause a person to clot more easily. Even if they know you condition is due to a specific event, I would still get the genetic testing done.

Anyway, you dodged a bullet, so congratulations.

yea, this was the first time for me. No family history of clotting, waiting for the blood test to come back the doctor told me it would take a couple days. My diet isnt too bad unless its football season, im in 2 softball leagues and play golf a couple times a week. Im sure my 2 daughters will need to be checked now...

Archived