Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: Washington Wizards, What the Hey?

bulldog

here I am sitting in a sports bar (of sorts) in Italy and I see on BBC that the Washington Wizards 'lost out' on hiring Larry Brown and he went to Detroit after all was said and done. Was Brown ever interested in the job in DC?

And if the answer is yes, the next question is what medication is Brown taking that is warping his perception of reality? :)

A guy over here that follows soccer (big surprise in Italy), says Washington will always be remembered as the place that fired Michael Jordan.

And come to think of it, have the Wizards made any other reportable news in the past 20 years that anyone not plugged into the NBA would be aware of?

Sorry, guys, if the Wizards are able to get a decent assistant or college coach to come in and run this team during the transition they will be lucky.

More likely, the team will hire another retread that is mainly interested in taking the money and closing his eyes as the team loses 60 games in 2004.

The Wiz contacted Brown a day or two after he resigned, but he said that he wasn't going to talk to any team that still had a head coach under contract, (this was before Doug Collins was fired). But, he sure got his deal w/ Detroit done awfully quickly after the Pistons inexplicably let Carlise go, so that leads me to believe that Brown didn't want anything to do with Washington. Can you really blame him?

What really sucks about the Jordan fiasco is that the Bullets are probably going to be blackballed throughout the NBA for a long time.

Jordan gets fired, Collins says all the right things about wanting to stay, but behind the scenes, Jordan, Collins and Larry Brown orchestrate a media play to make it seem like Brown might be an option at Washington.

End result is that the Bullets get giddy after Brown says he can't talk to them until they fire Collins. Bullets then fire Collins, he gets his $10 mil, Brown then answers the phone with a polite, "thanks but no thanks."

Bullets are then left with some moral victory that they barely missed out on Brown, while Collins, Jordan, and Brown get the first of many laughs at the post-Jordan Bullets.

Big shocker Abe interviewed Len Elmore...who has NO experience as either a GM or coach. Elmore played for the Bullets way back when, the last time the Bullets were relevant. Abe is stuck in the 70s. I hate Abe like no other.

Abe needs to get a GM in here bad. One that has the power to trump O'Malley.

That GM needs to look at the teams that made it to Conference Finals and NBA finals for an Asst. who is ready for the bump up.

Then you need to tell Abe to shut up and leave the GM and Coach alone for the next 2-4 years while they do something about it.

as long as they have this guy laettner_030406_layup.jpg

everything will be just Dandy.

:rolleyes:

Larry Brown decided he really didn't want to be a part of ANOTHER rebuilding project and I don't blame him. If Carlisle were even remotely interested, I'd gobble him up in a heartbeat.

I agree with Bufford that Les Boulez (gotta use Tony K's French name considering the way they play) desparately need a quality GM but Abe and O'Malley will probably need to go by the wayside before that happens.

Yeah, but THomspson doesn't seem to see eye to eye with Abe on much of anything.

Of course that makes him perfect because nobody else who cheers for the Bullets seems to agree with anything the Wiz have done for a long time.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Well WTEM is saying that Carlisle will be in for an interview over the weekend which means he is going to use Abes offer to gget a better deal when he flys out to portland or the Clippers.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Abe has made any respectable coach view the Wiz like they're a bunch of lepors. :doh:

Archived