Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mastodon's "Crack the Skye" album.

Baculus

What is the weakest position on the skins ?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. What is the weakest position on the skins ?

• Defensive End
    • Defensive Tackle
    • Linebacker
    • Corner
    • Safety
    • Tight End
    • Offensive Line
    • Wide Receiver
    • Quarterback
    • Running Back
    • Fullback
    • Punter
    • Kicker
    • KR/PR

Have any of you fine folks had a chance to check out Mastodon's new album, "Crack the Skye." and if so, what's your take on it?

Here is one of the songs from it: "Divinations."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhlMuvqKWQ

Personally, I love it. It took me around five listens before I really "got it," but I now think it's one of their best efforts and a natural progression of their style.

Have any of you fine folks had a chance to check out Mastodon's new album, "Crack the Skye." and if so, what's your take on it?

Here is one of the songs from it: "Divinations."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhlMuvqKWQ

Personally, I love it. It took me around five listens before I really "got it," but I now think it's one of their best efforts and a natural progression of their style.

That sounds awesome. Lead singer sounds alot like Angus Young.

That sounds awesome. Lead singer sounds alot like Angus Young.

Yeah, this album has some interesting vocals on it, and Brann Dailor, Mastodon's fantastic drummer, even sings on the opening song (which is unusual for him).

I put up a therad about this album a while back, I love it. I was notba mastodon fan previously. Lots of Tool influence IMO.

Howdy Code.

I was about to post something about that: I really believe this album is much more accessible to listeners who previously didn't get into Mastodon's music. As you mentioned, we can definitely hear the influence that Tool had on Mastodon after they toured together in Europe, and their continuing maturity as musicians is really on display.

I thought Blood Mountain demonstrated the band's progressive development, but this album really takes a step forward.

I don't know what kind of trip these guys are on, but they are coming out with some really original cool stuff. I thought "Leviathan" and "Blood Mountain" were/are bad ass, but they really seem to have stepped up their game with this one. Perhaps it's the Brendan O'Brien production. I'm on the 3rd listen.

"Divinations" and "The Last Baron" are my personal highlights, but it's best taken as a whole.

Went and saw them in concert last weekend in Birmingham. What a night!! I went to NEWKS before the show to eat some grub and Troy Sanders the person in line right in front of me. I didn't say anything to him, because if I was him, I would hate people talking to me that I did not know.

My wife said that I should talk to him, but I would only pick his brain about music in general, I am not a star struck kind of person.

We went to the concert and many of the roadies were sitting all around us, so we heard some interesting items about their tours and such. Just about their touring schedule and how they are not taking many breaks this year.

Then, Brent Hinds grandmother walks in. She was friggin awesome!! She was so into Mastodon. Hind's mother and father were at the back of the stage and they were rocking out. Then grandma comes up. Brann Dailor gives her his drumsticks and she runs around the stage waving them. Hinds said she is 87 years old. How cool is that? She was really enjoying her grandon's success.

They played for about two hours. It was the best I have ever seen them play. They started out by plying the Crack the Skye album straight through. They played about half of Blood Mountain (including Crystall Skull, which I have never heard them play live) half of Leviathon and Mother Puncher and March of the Fire Ants off of Remission.

Awesome concert. I will always remember it!!!!

Howdy Code.

I was about to post something about that: I really believe this album is much more accessible to listeners who previously didn't get into Mastodon's music. As you mentioned, we can definitely hear the influence that Tool had on Mastodon after they toured together in Europe, and their continuing maturity as musicians is really on display.

I thought Blood Mountain demonstrated the band's progressive development, but this album really takes a step forward.

No doubt... I liked the song "Blood and Thunder" when it came out so I downloaded Leviathan, but never really gave it a chance, so I never gave Blood Mountain a chance. After I heard Crack the Skye on their myspace page, I bought Blood Mountain and really like it. Colony of Birchmen and The Wolf is Loose are killer in particular. But Crack the Sky is just amazing. I've seriously listened to it non stop since it came out. The only song I don't really dig is The Last Baron, but even that isn't so terrible. I think the best 2 songs on the disc are Crack the Skye and Ghost of Karelia (sp?)... Oblivion is smoking too, but all in all, I just listen to it all the way though. Brilliant album. I love it.

Went and saw them in concert last weekend in Birmingham. What a night!! I went to NEWKS before the show to eat some grub and Troy Sanders the person in line right in front of me. I didn't say anything to him, because if I was him, I would hate people talking to me that I did not know.

My wife said that I should talk to him, but I would only pick his brain about music in general, I am not a star struck kind of person.

We went to the concert and many of the roadies were sitting all around us, so we heard some interesting items about their tours and such. Just about their touring schedule and how they are not taking many breaks this year.

Then, Brent Hinds grandmother walks in. She was friggin awesome!! She was so into Mastodon. Hind's mother and father were at the back of the stage and they were rocking out. Then grandma comes up. Brann Dailor gives her his drumsticks and she runs around the stage waving them. Hinds said she is 87 years old. How cool is that? She was really enjoying her grandon's success.

They played for about two hours. It was the best I have ever seen them play. They started out by plying the Crack the Skye album straight through. They played about half of Blood Mountain (including Crystall Skull, which I have never heard them play live) half of Leviathon and Mother Puncher and March of the Fire Ants off of Remission.

Awesome concert. I will always remember it!!!!

Great story! I hope to see them on this tour. Besides Clutch and Iron Maiden, they are one of my favorite live acts.

No doubt... I liked the song "Blood and Thunder" when it came out so I downloaded Leviathan, but never really gave it a chance, so I never gave Blood Mountain a chance. After I heard Crack the Skye on their myspace page, I bought Blood Mountain and really like it. Colony of Birchmen and The Wolf is Loose are killer in particular. But Crack the Sky is just amazing. I've seriously listened to it non stop since it came out. The only song I don't really dig is The Last Baron, but even that isn't so terrible. I think the best 2 songs on the disc are Crack the Skye and Ghost of Karelia (sp?)... Oblivion is smoking too, but all in all, I just listen to it all the way though. Brilliant album. I love it.

Sometimes their material takes a little time on you, and then it becomes very addictive. Ghost of Karelia is one of my favorite songs on the album, along with Divinations.

After posting this thread I went and listened to the album three times, back to back. :) It's one of the best albums of this decade, which is also what I said about Blood Mountain, too.

Well I just DL'd this album, and it IS pretty damn good. I've been listening to Mastodon off and on since Remission's release...never got real deep into them for some reason. But damn this new one is really catchy....and the title track rules, best track imo. Plus hearing the guy from Neurosis is always cool.

Well I just DL'd this album, and it IS pretty damn good. I've been listening to Mastodon off and on since Remission's release...never got real deep into them for some reason. But damn this new one is really catchy....and the title track rules, best track imo. Plus hearing the guy from Neurosis is always cool.

That's the response I'm hearing from a lot of people. Since Mastodon is my current favorite band, it's cool to see more folks appreciating their talent and skill.

Scott Kelly has the best heavy voice in metal; his guest spots with Mastodon are always fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, someone needs to help me....I can't stop listening to this album!! It's beyond epic and is one of the best albums I've EVER heard from first track to last. I really don't know what to say...I don't think I'm overrating this at all...it's just that F****N good.

It's like an amalgamation of Pink Floyd, Rush, and Tool...and providing a seemingly transcendental experience. I get the mental image of something vast, a cosmic or stellar sensation. And no, I'm not using drugs of any kind...just my imagination.

Archived