Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The reasons LB should not be the pick at 13

LB Dizzle

Here's a question for everyone; In the breaking news section there is an article say that the skins have put out feelers to Seattle about what it might take to move into the fourth spot. If Curry happened to be available at 4, would you be willing to trade this years and next years first to grab him?

Even if the Snyder is smitten with Sanchez, I can't believe he'd try and trade that high up to pick him, so, if the rumor is true, who else might they be gunning for? I suppose one of the top tackles or Orakpo (still a little high for him though) could be a possibility.

The only reason I can think of for the 'skins to move up to Seattle's spot is to take Orakpo. They need to jump past the Browns and Bengals because if one doesn't take him, the other will. They wouldn't need to jump to the 4th to get one of the OTs on the board.

I disagree...

Rocky is a bust?? Explain your reasoning here? He was a second round pick and he has been extremely solid. Is he a bust because he was injured? Or was it because he came back WAY ahead of schedule and had another very solid season? I'm sorry but I'm just not sure what constitues a bust in your world but my defintion must be slightly different.

But... since you say it's true....

It is because he is not a star player. Our fans want stars at every position or they are busts.

Great thread and should bring grat discussion.

Personally, I agree that the position can be found later, but personally think it would have to be done in round 2 or 3. We only have 3.

This is why I want to trade down, so we don't have to reach on a LB during the draft at all.

I just don't see 4 tackles being gone in 12 picks. 4 were taken last year in 16 picks but that's also the most since 2000.

If all 4 go before we pick, then we're in great shape to find a trading partner or even pick another position like DE that would fall out of top ten into our lap.

I can't see how the top OTs can all have been drafted either, and as you say if they have, someone else pretty special will still be there.

And yes.. McIntosh is a bust.

It`s true.

I am in favor of grabbing a backer at 13.

Give one reason why McIntosh is a bust? Oh wait, you can't. Because there aren't any reasons for saying he is and you are just trying to stir the pot.

Also no one position makes or breaks a defense. But even so, there is no way strong side linebacker is the most important position on the defense. In fact, I could argue that every other position in a 4-3 base formation is more important.

If you are going to pinpoint one position as being super important it's the defensive line. Having a stud RE who can get you double digit sacks every season is the single best player you could have on your defense. That's why they are the rarest, get drafted the highest, and paid the most.

But there have been plenty of great defenses that have gotten by without having an impact player there.

Linebackers are just the most visible position and the easiest to follow--they make the tackles and are around the ball the most. Nobody watches what a good corner does during a game. The only time we notice them is at the end of the play (whether they intercept or break up a pass, or get burned) because they are off camera.

Another thing that gets overlooked is the fact that we are not exactly set at RDE either. Andre Carter had one good season, and while I think he will get a lot more sacks this year with AH he´s not a probowler. If we draft the tweener type, even if he doesn´t pan out great at linebacker, he could not only rush the passer on 3rd down from LDE, but Everett Brown/Maybin/Orakpo etc. would immediately become the primary backup for Andre Carter too.

Rocky a bust?? Not yet, I liked Thomas Howard that year out of UTEP. Compare: Rocky- 202 tkls (153 solo), 5 sacks, 10 PDEF and 1 INT. Thomas- 302 (245), 2 sacks, 17 PDEF and 7 INTS.

To answer the question, WHO KNOWS, I hate this pick. A.Smith wont fall, so maybe Oher and Im cool w/ that. If hes gone, cant reach on the next OL. Next, Ayers or M.Johnson (DEs) need to replace the old ones (Daniels, Wynn). Not sold on Rey, Cush or Matthews.

Trade down 10 spots, get tyson jackson and then draft a Olineman with the first pick or a stud LB

T. Jackson would be OK too, wont be there after SD (replace Olshansky), might even go to Pack if Raji is gone. They dont have a 3-4 end and say they will play Kampman up as a RUSH LB, think thats a bust but we'll see.

Another thing that gets overlooked is the fact that we are not exactly set at RDE either. Andre Carter had one good season, and while I think he will get a lot more sacks this year with AH he´s not a probowler. If we draft the tweener type, even if he doesn´t pan out great at linebacker, he could not only rush the passer on 3rd down from LDE, but Everett Brown/Maybin/Orakpo etc. would immediately become the primary backup for Andre Carter too.

Ding....Ding....Ding....I think we have a winner. I even like the order, Brown, Sack Pro and Maybin.

The Skins passed on Shawn Merriman and DeMarcus Ware because they didn't have a need at LB. Instead they took Carlos Rogers. Of course, they immediately found themselves in need of a LB. That's the danger when you draft for need instead of BPA.

Give me the BPA unless there's just no way he fits what you do.

];6327976']There is only one reason why I feel a SLB is more important of a need than DE.

Who are you more comfortable starting- HB Blades at OLB or Phillip Daniels at DE?

You're missing my point. I would like to upgrade HB Blades, either with the 3rd/5th pick or with a cheap vet.

The reason I don't want to draft SLB at 13 is because they won't play as much with all the nickle, dime, and 3 safety packages, and because I think a playmaker "tweener" type would have a greater impact because they could play SLB on rushing downs and LE on passing downs.

How do most of you feel about that second point about "tweeners" playing SLB on rushing downs and then playing LE on passing downs? A lot of the 3-4 OLBs in the NFL today were DEs in college and they seem to be able to cover every once in awhile. They definitely make an impact on their respective teams. I feel like the 4-3 teams are missing out on these talents, and I think it is doable. They are considered "tweeners" so why can't they learn and play both positions? Isnt that the role of the 3-4 OLBs already? They rush most of the time and cover every once in awhile.

Archived