Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony Grant Head Coach of VCU Basketball

MKnight82

I live in Richmond and went to VCU. Of course I'm real interested in what's going to happen with Anthony Grant. He's been linked mostly to Alabama at this point but Georgia has expressed interest as well. What are ya'lls thoughts on him and his situation.

I think he'll be a great coach. As a Maryland Terps alumnus, I would love for him to replace Gary Williams in few years, but I doubt he wants to wait that long. I don't think he should go to Georgia or Alabama. He should wait and find the right place because that is key in being successful. Those programs aren't known for basketball at all, so who knows if they will be fully committed. What about UVa? They fired their coach.

Everything I've heard so far UVA is not interested in Grant. They went after Tubby Smith but he said he wasn't interested. Now apparently they want Jeff Cabel. Funny how both of them were VCU coaches but they aren't interested in Grant.

Everything I've heard so far UVA is not interested in Grant. They went after Tubby Smith but he said he wasn't interested. Now apparently they want Jeff Cabel. Funny how both of them were VCU coaches but they aren't interested in Grant.

Is the VA job better than the OU job? I can't imagine why he'd want that job.

There is no Duke or UNC type programs in the Big 12 to have to compete with. Maybe he just wants a challenge or he's just sick of being at a football school, who knows.

Is the VA job better than the OU job? I can't imagine why he'd want that job.

There is no Duke or UNC type programs in the Big 12 to have to compete with. Maybe he just wants a challenge or he's just sick of being at a football school, who knows.

Kansas is just as storied & accomplished as Duke or UNC.

local sports radio threw out that billy donovan could take the UK job once gilispie (sp?) is fired, then grant could/would go to UF.

Yep, that is what I think is going to happen. Gillespie out at UK, Donovan in for a truckload of cash and Grant to UF.

The reason why UVA is/was not terribly interested in Grant is that he wants to get back deeper into the south where he is from and where he has a ton of connections. He wants to get back into SEC country, preferably in Florida. If the right job is not there right now, it would not surprise me if he stayed at VCU for another year or two. But he will be leaving relatively soon. To me it would do UVA no good to hire a coach and then have to start back at square one in two years.

UVA needs to do a better job with the search this time and find someone that is going to be around for a few years, at least. There is really no excuse not to bring in a quality coach, they have the money, the facilities are fantastic, they have a solid potential recruiting area, and they have good visibility playing in the ACC.

Which brings me to Capel. The Virginia job is in no way better than the Oklahoma job right now. But, apparently he does not like playing a distant second fiddle to football, which is always going to be the case at OU. Also, from what I have heard, his family is much more fond of the east coast than it is of Norman, Ok. He will also be losing a dominant player after the season in Blake Griffin, and while they should be solid next year, they probably will not be hovering around No. 1 as they were this year. It probably will not get much better in the coming years at OU, so it is an opportune time to look around.

UVA is an appealing job for Capel because it will bring him back to Virginia, where his family is happier and he will not take a back seat to football. Also, there is a money issue as well. If he is the guy for UVA, he will be offered a significant raise, much more than he is currently being paid, and something that there is not a chance that OU will match.

That being said, I still think the main target for UVA is Tubby. Despite what is being said in Minneapolis, I am not sold that he has ruled out coming to Charlottesville. There is a lot of careful wording being used by all parties, so I do not think that courting is done just yet.

When all is said and done, I think it comes down to Tubby or Capel for UVA, and I think either would be a great choice.

Archived