Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TODAY IS THE DAY! Updated District Three playoffs have begun

rdsknbill

"North of the Mason-Dixon Line 10 years ago, the word lacrosse could barely be spelled -- especially in the York County area," Ensminger said. "We were always playing catch-up with teams like Hempfield. We'd play those teams and lose by a zip code."

Hahahahaha. Friggin' Prof. Noodles.

I was at the game that Bill's pic in post 22 was taken. That evening was cold, I had to put on an extra layer on at the half of the first game. Our home field is WINDY. If it's cool down the road, it's COLD at the field.

• 1 month later...

13-6

Red Lion over Penn Manor in first round of D-III Playoffs.

Here's a clip and it does NO justice to the game that Brandon Kessler actually had. He put on a clinic tonight.

http://www.fox43.com/sports/local/

Here's from the local paper, why Red Lion doesn't get top billing, gets me.

http://yorkdispatch.inyork.com/ci_12353625

I'll let Bill give you guys the details tomorrow. After the game, we celebrated. Coach needs his rest now. Way to go RL Lax!

GOOD MORNING PEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so proud of my players. We played a well coached yet undisciplined Penn Manor team and took it to them. Towards the end of the game there were alot of cheap shots coming from the losing team, but we have been preaching mental toughness all year. Our players kept their heads and didn't fall into any of the classless BS that was being thrown at them from PM.

We go to take on Carlisle on Saturday at 3.

17-0 and the train keeps rolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, this is awesome news.

You guys keep up the good work with these young men, on and off the field.

We'll be rooting for ya from down here in Hagerstown!

Thank Cap! I am immersed in film watching of our next opponent. Carlisle.

In today's paper!

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_12355451?IADID=Search-ydr.inyork.com-ydr.inyork.com

Lions shred Comets

Red Lion's district debut went smoothly in a 13-6 romp over Penn Manor.

By ELIJAH ARMOLD

For the Daily Record/Sunday News

Updated: 05/12/2009 10:52:31 PM EDT

The first District 3 playoff game at Horn Field the Red Lion boys' lacrosse team was a bit deceptive Tuesday night.

The Lions could have played the part of postseason rookies, but coach Bill Middleton's squad looked more like seasoned district veterans during a 13-6 dismantling of visiting Penn Manor.

Red Lion, the tournament's second-seed, advances to face 10th-seeded Carlisle on Saturday at a time and location to be determined. The Thundering Herd beat Lewisburg, 10-3, on Tuesday night.

"I'm real proud of the kids. They worked real hard and my assistant coaches have just been outstanding as well," Middleton said. "Everyone has worked real hard: the booster club, the kids, the fundraisers, the fans; it's great to honor all of them with a district win."

The Lions got their big night started with a bit of history, as Alex Lloyd took a pass from Brandon Kessler and notched the first Red Lion goal in district play.

"It felt really good, I couldn't have done it without my teammates, though," Lloyd said. "Brandon did a great job of drawing the defense and leaving me open in front of the goalie."

Twenty-two seconds later, Lloyd returned the favor by assisting on Kessler's first goal of the evening.

"Alex is my partner in crime, that's how we try to play all the time," Kessler said of the two-man show the pair ran in the first period as they combined to score and assist on each of Red Lion's three goals.

The Lions carried that momentum into the second

Advertisement

period, where they unloaded on the Comets, scoring five more goals.

Red Lion's heavy second-period attack was highlighted by Lloyd's third goal of night, which made the score 5-1 at the time.

Defenseman Josh Myers scooped up a loose ball in the Comets' offensive end and began sprinting downfield. He then made a nice cut towards the net, which forced two Penn Manor defenders to collide and open up Myers' path.

As another defender began to collapse on Myers, he deftly flung a quick pass to Lloyd, who scorched a shot past Comet goalie Pete Deluca.

Credit a stout Lion defense for the hosts taking a comfortable 8-3 margin into the half.

The Lions held the Comets in check by allowing only two shots on goal in the first period, and kept the field titled in Red Lion's favor with quick clears and tough checks.

Early in the third period, it looked as if the Comets might end up giving the Lions trouble after all.

Dave Maisel scored a pair of goals a little more than a minute apart, cutting the lead to 8-4, but Casey Raver quickly answered back with a pair of his own, and his Lions cruised the rest of the way.

Aside from Kessler's impressive performance, the Lions also got four goals from Raver and a pair of assists from Lloyd to go along with his hat trick.

The Comets were led by a three-goal effort from Maisel.

Archived