Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you really think tax cuts are the answer?

Burgold

The problem that exists here is that the nation is neck deep in debt. Whatever money they get back, they'll be putting towards the debt they owe. (me included) That "stimulus" check I got from Bush went from my hand to the credit card companies as soon as I got it. Until America gets a hold on it's debt and its usage, the economy will be ****. Fortunately for me, I make good enough money to pay my debt off, but it's still $17,000 in credit debt. (total combined)

I don't seem to understand your point... You are saying that we need to get off debt, then ***** about the stimulus check because you had to spend it toward getting out of debt.

BTW, 17k isn't too bad. If you want to get out of debt, there are quite a few companies out there who help you do that without dinging your credit. Of course, you have to stop using credit cards.

I'm not sure what the answer to the current situation is, but the general answer to our long term economic problems are:

1) Cut Spending

2) Reduce taxes

The problem is that our current system does not encourage fiscal responsibility. A balanced budget amendment would go a long way, and so would some version of line item veto power granted to the President (on spending bills ONLY).

Without some changes to the system that force the government to tighten their belt, tax cuts will not have the intended affect because of the ballooning deficit.

I think "the answer" is simple.

Raise taxes on everyone. Cut spending on everything.

Once we've got the deficit to the correct percentage again, then lower taxes. Once we've lowered taxes to the point that Govt makes MORE money again (yes, supply side works if done right), then and ONLY then do we increase spending.

Does anyone think the govt giveaways proposed in the Dem Stimulus plan are the answers?

My plan (and it's a rather crazy one, so beware)

Institute a Federal tax moratorium for 1 calendar year. By this, I mean ALL Federal taxes.

Force the Federal government into austerity living off of tariffs, excize, and fees only for one year.

This will mandate the Federal government get off their duffs and actually budget realistically as well as show American taxpayers what it's like to have all of those earnings back in pocket. This will also force those Americans who claim to be dependant on government to prove it while casting off those that work the system for personal benefit.

I suspect that folks would have a different point of view on taxation once they return to paying the full shot in the following year.

Archived