Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MD and FSU might be going to the Big East

jbooma

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/maisel_ivan/1553710.html

Unlike past spring meetings of the Big East Conference in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., the most important negotiations at the gathering that begins Saturday won't take place on the first tee. This year, it's serious.

For the first time since commissioner Mike Tranghese forced the Atlantic Coast Conference's wooing of Miami out into the open, Big East athletic directors will meet and hear from their colleague in Coral Gables, Paul Dee.

Tranghese, the second commissioner of the 24-year-old league, has been in the job since 1990. His smooth demeanor cloaks his agility as an infighter. In an official statement released Wednesday, he said, "I will take (ACC commissioner) John Swofford at his word that the ACC Presidents have not formally voted." Tranghese said this on the same day that the newspapers and web sites are filled with stories of the ACC presidents having voted to expand via conference call Tuesday.

Tranghese said that he doesn't believe the Hurricanes' ship has already set sail for a new port.

"I'm looking forward to sitting with Paul to find out exactly where we all are and see if we can preserve the league," Tranghese said. "Miami has been very consistent. They will be open-minded and they will listen. I don't believe Miami is coming out of courtesy."

Tranghese has heard the various scenarios of what is to come, including the possibility, acknowledged by one Big East official, that the league will make counter-proposals to Maryland and Florida State to lure them out of the ACC. "Isn't everything on the table now?" the official asked. "Go right to the top. Start with Florida State."

Tranghese has heard the story that Miami will demand the I-A schools in the conference band together into an all-sports league. It's an issue that the league discussed three years ago, with Miami in the majority of schools that favored the status quo, Tranghese said. He has heard the debate over which two schools the ACC's prefers from among Boston College, Syracuse and Virginia Tech.

He has heard the questioning of how the ACC will come up with an additional $27 million to pay three new members and maintain the current annual payments of more than $9 million, when the national economy is sluggish and TV rights fees are going down, not up.

None of that concerns Tranghese right now. All issues start with the concerns of the Big East's three-time defending conference champion Hurricanes.

"This is being done by Miami," Tranghese said. "This is the jewel of the ACC's eye. Miami is looking at what's right for it as an institution. We're going to have a chance to sit with our longtime partner."

Is he nervous?

"Nervous is not a good word. Hopeful," Tranghese said. "I'm not frightened by it. This is my job. When you're a coach, anybody can coach when you're winning 80-50. You find out about people when things are difficult."

Even though I would miss MD vs Duke and NC, but love to see MD vs GT and SU and CT :)

What is hard about proposed moves or merges like this is that what looks good in terms of one sport does not always look so good for another.

I would love to see Maryland vs. Virginia Tech every year in football, for example. It just seems like such a natural rivalry between two regional schools with big time programs. But in basketball, it just does not carry the same weight. For whatever reason, VT has never really seemed to take bastketball seriously.

The same general idea can be said for Miami and FSU. Does anyone not an alumnus of either really care which conference features Miami vs. Florida State in basketball? I know I don't.

It is just too bad that it seems it has to be a package deal with all Division 1 sports. It makes it hard for me to really decide if I like the ideas being discussed here or not.

And this is just an afterthought, but...... if FSU and Miami WERE to somehow end up in the Big East, they had better expand by enough teams to have two divisions. I don't see any way either school would accept going to a conference where those two monster programs would have to beat one another out every year for a shot at the BCS based on regular season records alone, and without at least a big-time big-money conference championship game first. If the Big East stays at less than 12 or so teams, that probably would not happen.

Originally posted by Candy

And this is just an afterthought, but...... if FSU and Miami WERE to somehow end up in the Big East, they had better expand by enough teams to have two divisions. I don't see any way either school would accept going to a conference where those two monster programs would have to beat one another out every year for a shot at the BCS based on regular season records alone, and without at least a big-time big-money conference championship game first. If the Big East stays at less than 12 or so teams, that probably would not happen.

This hasnt stopped the Big East in the past from sending two teams to BCS bowls.

Recently, Tech and Miami went in the same year...

This seems no more ridiculous than the ACC trying to make itself into something its clearly not, a football conference.

I'd like to see the superconference form here. Who wouldn't want to see (basketball) Maryland play North Carolina, Duke and GEORGETOWN.

And wouldn't you rather see the Terps (football) play Virginia Tech or Syracuse rather than Duke and/or Wake Forest?

We would lose the home and home format in basketball and probably wouldn't play the same opponents in footabll every year, but I think it would be the only way to go, IF A CHANGE IS UNAVOIDABLE.

By the way, if the ACC does go to 12 teams MD will lose the Home and Home with NC and Duke. That statement that the Maryland Alumni won't let this stand, do you actually think the university's care what the alum does?? This is all about money, money, money. If the Big East loses Miami, then the will run to MD and FSU and say, look, we still have the BCS bid, you don't have too play miami anymore, and we can offer you more $$$$

I don't know it would be interesting, but the schools don't care about the alumni in a move like this, they care about their deep pockets.

Even though MD has a great basketball program, football is where the money is at in college athletics.

I very much agree with everyone that there is no way that Maryland would willingly leave the ACC for the Big East ... but the Big Question is willingly.

Snap off FSU from the ACC, and you have the same problem from the ACC ... a rush to get out and latch on to something solid.

And if ACC expansion doesn't fly b/c of either Miami's rejection or because of a hold-out due to Va Tech's politics (Miami only goes with BC & Syr) ... then FSU has already stated that they will consider other options ... and I take that to mean either

(1) Approach the SEC about inclusion (so long Vandy)

or

(2) a desire to form its own conference with Miami, Pitt, VA Tech, BC and Syracuse, and West VA as the anchor schools from the Big East ... and FSU, Ga Tech & Clemson from the ACC.

If FSU were plucked to play with Miami, then MD, UVA, PSU and possibly ND would come into play ... and there would only be Romo sits to pee for 2-3 (perhaps Rutgers gets tossed out the door).

I think its going to be Miami, Syracuse, and VA Tech...I know Miami's saying for public consumption they won't go without BC...but I think thats only for public consumption, and there are some bigtime players pushing hard for VA Tech to be that 3rd Team. I'm betting BC is the odd man out. And the suggestion that FSU and/or Maryland will jump sounds like desperation to me.

Va Tech may be able to use the governor to pressure UVA, but there is no way the Va Governor will ever be able to convince the Four-Horseman (i.e., the NC schools) to let Va Tech's disgrace of a basketball program into the conference. Keep in mind ... two of the NC schools would have to pound on Va Tech twice a year, and the other 2 only have to bear the pain once apeice.

There is just no way the B-Ball first schools will let Tech come in and siphon up $5mil a year (the share of B-Ball proceeds) for doing nothing but functioning as a foot-wipe.

If Va Tech ends up on the Ballot, then the deal breaks down one way or the other ... either Miami nixes it (as it continues to say it would) or the NC schools nix it.

Also, keep in mind that the Commish has been studying this move for 18 months, and all projections and forecasts relate to the inclusion of Miami, BC, & Syracuse. There is no way that Va Tech suddenly ends up in the proposal with no analysis done ... particuarly when the can see two huge holes right off the bat (no Ball & no new media market).

The deal is off if Va Tech and UVA spoile it.

In which case, the country's attention turns to FSU. What will FSU do to ensure access to a football first conference?

Archived