Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Belichick's Roster Planning

Oldfan

I see what you're going for, but Reese's job will be to fill orders. It will surprise me if he drops clues about the specifics of the orders he receives.

I don't expect him to be vocal. Just a bit surprised that he was brought in and curious of whether he can be a company man.

Eric Mangini gave the NY media nothing. He was required to divulge that a player had a knee injury, but he wouldn't tell the media which knee because it wasn't required.

Mangini actually called hamstring injuries "leg" on the injury report.

You may enjoy this exchange from a PC earlier this season.

Leberfeld: “What exactly is wrong with Mike Nugent? What’s the specific injury?”

Mangini: “He’s got a leg injury.”

Leberfeld: “But specifically, what is it?”

Mangini: “You know, I don’t talk about the specifics of injuries, and I think you know that.”

Leberfeld: “Is it a hamstring?”

Mangini: “It’s a leg injury.”

Leberfeld: “Because most teams in the league will mention a hamstring. Why are you against that?”

Mangini: “You know, I think we’ve discussed this quite a bit, but it’s something that I believe in philosophically, and I hope you can respect that.”

Leberfeld: “Because even New England lists hamstrings, and I know you have a background there. You might be the only team in the league that doesn’t list hamstrings. Why philosophically do you go down that road?”

Mangini: “It’s something that I believe in and something that we’ve consistently done, and I don’t anticipate changing any time in the near future.”

Leberfeld: “What about toe related to foot? Like [defensive end Calvin] Pace says he hurt his toe. Can you verify that?”

Mangini: “I can verify what I put on the injury [report].”

nice post Old.

how grand it must be to live in a franchise that has a consistent plan year to year!

Thank you.

As for planning, consistency is a good thing if the basic plan is sound. I wasn't hoping for consistency with the Gibbs plan of 2004.

I guess people assume that he's got the whole dynasty plan. I doubt that, though. There's a lot of stuff on the field, that he's not going to be able to duplicate.

Personally I think your giving a little bit too much credit to Belichick. I think a Dynasty is more of a group effort, takes alot more then one man and involoves a little luck too. If your gonna give all the credit to one man it should'nt be Belichick, it should be Parcells. He's mentored both Pioli and Belichick who like everyone else who has worked for him have been successful. It's obvious that Pioli and Parcells are very close and Pioli leaving the AFC East a year after Parcells entered it probaly has alot to do with it. Kind of hard to collaborate when your playing each other twice a year. I would expect the Chiefs to become a very good franchise in the years to come.

Personally I think your giving a little bit too much credit to Belichick. I think a Dynasty is more of a group effort, takes alot more then one man and involoves a little luck too. If your gonna give all the credit to one man it should'nt be Belichick, it should be Parcells. He's mentored both Pioli and Belichick who like everyone else who has worked for him have been successful.

Belichick has had the final say on all football decisions. I give the person in charge the most credit for the success of an organization when it succeeds and the most blame when it fails.

Belichick, gives his friend, Bill Walsh, and Walsh's book on the topic, credit for the foundation for building a successful franchise. Parcells is known for quick turnarounds, but he never built a dynasty.

Belichick has had the final say on all football decisions. I give the person in charge the most credit for the success of an organization when it succeeds and the most blame when it fails.

Belichick, gives his friend, Bill Walsh, and Walsh's book on the topic, credit for the foundation for building a successful franchise. Parcells is known for quick turnarounds, but he never built a dynasty.

I said I would'nt give Belichick all the credit like the OP pretty much stated, of course he will get most. Belichick can say what he want's about Walsh but you dont learn everything about coaching or building a franchise from a book. Alot more goes into it because just about every coach has read Walsh's writing and alot employ his coaching philosophy but you dont see that many dynastys. Coaching trees in the NFL are very good predictors of success and thats because you really learn your prinicples and fundamentals from your mentors.

Their is a difference between quick turnarounds and building a team and then retiring, again. Parcells never built a Dynasty? Check his tenure with the Giant's and tell me they werent considered a Dynasty for the majority of his 8 years there. Parcells has also achieved all of his success without possibly the most prolific QB in NFL history, Tom Brady. Belichick definitely deserves his credit but I think that franchise will take a hit with the loss of Pioli and the looks of a improving division.

I said I would'nt give Belichick all the credit like the OP pretty much stated, of course he will get most.

I only wrote about Belichick. I don't think that implies he deserves all the credit. In fact, I think I said the Ernie Adams probably deserves a lot of it, but no one knows for sure.

Parcells never built a Dynasty? Check his tenure with the Giant's and tell me they werent considered a Dynasty for the majority of his 8 years there.

I don't think the second best team in a division (to Gibbs's Skins) can be called a dynasty.

Dynasty may have been a little over the top but for a good 4-5 years they were definitely knockin on the door.

They had top notch talent and Parcells coached them well; but long-time Giants GM George Young acquired the talent and hired Parcells, so the credit for building that team is shared.

Coaching trees in the NFL are very good predictors of success and thats because you really learn your prinicples and fundamentals from your mentors.

Or maybe it's because only coaches from winning teams get HC jobs. And they don't all win. Just look at all the former Walsh followers who were alright but didn't win anything. Green, Siefert after SF, Reid, Fassel, Mariucci, Tice, Holmgren got lucky once, Rhodes, Del Rio., etc.

Parcells never built a Dynasty? Check his tenure with the Giant's and tell me they werent considered a Dynasty for the majority of his 8 years there.

Parcells built that team? Simms, Morris, LT, Marshall, Banks, Carson, Burt, were already there when he became HC, and he wasn't the GM was he? Not really sure how that means he built the team. Also, Belichick was the defensive coordinator, so he may have helped make that team what it was.

Or maybe it's because only coaches from winning teams get HC jobs. And they don't all win. Just look at all the former Walsh followers who were alright but didn't win anything. Green, Siefert after SF, Reid, Fassel, Mariucci, Tice, Holmgren got lucky once, Rhodes, Del Rio., etc.

Alot of those coaches are good coaches. But it takes more then one guy to build a competitive franchise, like I stated in my first post. But you probaly didnt see that since you hit the last button, read the last couple posts and then started typing. Holmgren got lucky once? LOL. You lost all credibility on the subject right there. I guess you would suggest that teams should target assisstants working for losing organizations.

Parcells built that team? Simms, Morris, LT, Marshall, Banks, Carson, Burt, were already there when he became HC, and he wasn't the GM was he? Not really sure how that means he built the team. Also, Belichick was the defensive coordinator, so he may have helped make that team what it was.

That team also had 1 winning season in the 10 years prior to Parcells taking over. But your right, we should give the credit to the GM. Good point. Oh and Parcells was the coach of the Patriots before Belichick got there so I guess Parcells deserves some of the credit for the Patriots success huh? Thanks for jumping into the thread with a couple of bogus statements but not really contributing anything to the conversation.

Archived