Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How sad is this NFC championship game?

TheGoodBits

I mean seriously, the Eagles and Cards!?!?!?

The 9-6-1 Eagles, who picked up the second wildcard, are taking on the 9-7 Cardinals, winners of the pathetic NFC West (6 of their wins came from within their division).

Much was made at the beginning of the season about the shift of power in the league from the AFC to the NFC. You had the Patriots lose Brady and ultimately not make the playoffs, the Colts started slow, and the Chargers had a terrible season (although they enjoyed late success).

Everyone was talking about the NFC, specifically the NFC East. It looked like the powerhouse division of 2008, maybe even the best in history, especially after the Redskins started 6-2. Then came the rise of the NFC South. Suddenly there were 3-4 tough teams coming from that division too.

Over in the AFC, however, the normal contenders were faltering, and it appeared that those teams that would fill their void weren't much to think about. You had the previously 1-15 Dolphins, the previously 5-11 Ravens, and the Vince Young laden Titans stepping up, plus the typically playoff bound Steelers playing well too.

Now the Championship games have been set, and the NFC brings forward..... 2 nine win teams to battle for a spot in the Super Bowl! WTF happened!? It's like a gift for the Ravens or Steelers.

I mean seriously, has there ever been a more pathetic match-up for a Conference Championship? Anyone else feel a bit embarrassed that the NFC couldn't put forward some better teams to compete for the Super Bowl?

Name the NFC Teams that would have made a better representation......The Giants?....The Panthers? :laugh:

W/L records during the regular season don't mean anything once you get to the dance. It's how you play in the playoffs.

Did last year's Patriots 16-0 regular season mean much once they faced the 10-6 Giants in the Superbowl?

I see this thread as nothing more than just a little bit of petty jealously. If your team was the 9-7 team in the NFC Championship game, you'd be as happy as a pig in ****.

Name the NFC Teams that would have made a better representation......The Giants?....The Panthers? :laugh:

W/L records during the regular season don't mean anything once you get to the dance. It's how you play in the playoffs.

Did last year's Patriots 16-0 regular season mean much once they faced the 10-6 Giants in the Superbowl?

I see this thread as nothing more than just a little bit of petty jealously. If your team was the 9-7 team in the NFC Championship game, you'd be as happy as a pig in ****.

No doubt about it I'd be happy. And it's not uncommon to have one unexpected team make a run. But to have two mediocre teams (don't kid yourself) make these kinds of runs and knock out quality teams is very rare, and frankly kind of a sad indication of the REAL quality of the NFC teams this year.

It is what it is...these 2 teams made the dance...and are playing their best right now...and the Cards have been without Boldin. Either 1 of these NFC teams can beat the Steelers or Ravens.

I can say that the NFC winners this weekend won the pass protection battle, the turnover battle, offensive battle, and the defensive battles, and convincingly as well. The Cardinals and Eagles showed up and executed better than the Panthers and Giants.

Yep, both teams played far better and deserved the wins. I wasn't knocking the ways they won.

The point of my post was really that the quality of NFC teams is not all that high, even among the top seeds. This is shown by the fact that they both were so brutally outplayed by 2 mediocre teams.

Yep, both teams played far better and deserved the wins. I wasn't knocking the ways they won.

The point of my post was really that the quality of NFC teams is not all that high, even among the top seeds. This is shown by the fact that they both were so brutally outplayed by 2 mediocre teams.

Hey, what happened when the super-awesome Steelers played the Eagles earlier this year?

Why is it sad?

This is why I love the playoffs, once teams get in they are all 0-0 and anything can happen. I am pulling for the Cards all the way. Who would have put money down that the Cards would have been hosting the NFC Championship...it's crazy.

Hopefully everything aligns in Glendale and the Cards can knock off McNabb and the Beagles.

Any given Sunday my friend. You would be hard pressed to find anyone would would argue that your Eagles would win that match-up a majority of the time.

Actually, I wouldn't. Footballoutsiders rates the Eagles as the best team in the league based off of advanced stat metrics.

Every single "expert" is picking the Eagles. It really wouldn't be hard to find a line of people who would take the Eagles and their nasty defense over anyone remaining.

skinsfan, I look forward to seeing how pitiful you think it is that one of these mediocre teams won the Superbowl.

Nah. I think you and others are misinterpreting my point here. It's not that these teams don't deserve it, because they have clearly been playing really well of late.

My only point was that if the NFC had REAL quality teams this year, these runs would not have been possible. The quality teams would not have allowed themselves to lose to a mediocre team on a hot streak, no matter how hot they were.

I'm sorry but this thread is dumb.

I hate the Eagles but they got hot at the right time, just like the Giants did last year.

No reason to make this thread insulting the Eagles.

If you read the thread you might understand that I'm not insulting the Eagles or the Cardinals.

If you read the thread you might understand that I'm not insulting the Eagles or the Cardinals.

I read it.

"How sad is this NFC championship game?"

That by itself implies that the Eagles don't deserve it.

The fact is, they do. They won the games they needed to win to get to where they are.

Yes, we swept them and they've been a streaky team and maybe they don't seem as talented as some other teams in the NFL...but that doesn't matter.

Giants didn't play well, didn't have Plax, didn't have Osi, horrible playcalling blah blah blah.

Eagles won.

I hate it, but it is what it is.

skinsfan, I understand your point but you are seriously going to piss off Brian Dawkins.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/index.asp?mm_file_id=6710&play_clip=y

I attempted to watch the clip, but my internet connection decided it just wasn't up to it. I caught the first 10 seconds or so though.

Please don't tell him about this thread, I'd hate to have him angry at me.:silly:

I read it.

"How sad is this NFC championship game?"

That by itself implies that the Eagles don't deserve it.

The fact is, they do. They won the games they needed to win to get to where they are.

Yes, we swept them and they've been a streaky team and maybe they don't seem as talented as some other teams in the NFL...but that doesn't matter.

Giants didn't play well, didn't have Plax, didn't have Osi, horrible playcalling blah blah blah.

Eagles won.

I hate it, but it is what it is.

Mkay. Maybe a poor choice of words in the title, but nothing else. I happen to agree with everything you said there.

Mkay. Maybe a poor choice of words in the title, but nothing else. I happen to agree with everything you said there.

**** happens.

I mean things bounced the Eagles way.

I happen to think that there are plenty of 'better' teams in the NFL.

But they aren't where the Eagles are.

Just root for the Cards.

Then we can laugh at them for STILL not having a Lombardi. :)

**** happens.

I mean things bounced the Eagles way.

I happen to think that there are plenty of 'better' teams in the NFL.

But they aren't where the Eagles are.

Just root for the Cards.

Then we can laugh at them for STILL not having a Lombardi. :)

Haha empty trophy cases in Philly make me smile!

Why is it sad? This is football. Record doesn't mean **** in the end. Did you say the same thing when the Giants made it to the SB last year? They were a wildcard team playing an undefeated juggernaut, and a lot of people thought they were just going to get steamrolled. The Cardinals, even though they had some rough times during the season, really stepped their game up in the last game of the season, and took it to a couple of the hottest teams in the NFL. The Eagles are always dangerous, and I don't care what you say, they are not a mediocre team. Sure, they aren't the strongest team in the NFL, but with the defense they have, weapons such as McNabb, Westbrook, Curtis and Jackson, that team can hold their own against any team in the NFL when they click.

Sorry you think it's sad, but I think it's exciting.

Archived