Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our #1 Problem: We're Not a BIG PLAY Team

Thinking Skins

I want to first start off by saying that I think that we were a decent team this year. We were pretty good at producing long drives on offense and forcing other teams into three and outs. Unfortunately, too often our drives ended in FGs and we couldn't produce a three and out when we needed it. But still, I think thats something to build on going into next year. But the thing that I think this team is lacking is the big play department. Notice I said this TEAM is lacking, because big plays can come in a number of places, not just on the offense.

The thing about a big play is that its something that gets people pumped up, both the fans in the stadium and the players on the field, and it can knock the wind out of the other team. Its like right now, we're like a boxer who's great at winning matches by decision, but we don't have that Tyson like knockout punch that can put a team away and just take their breath away.

So I was thinking about the things we could do to increase our big play potential. Here's what's on my mind:

- get a dominant DL to produce more sacks

- get a dominant DL to produce more pressure on the QB, possibly forcing more turnovers

- have our CBs actually disguise their coverage more and jump routes more

- an OL thats better a pass protection to give JC more time to throw deep

- more variety in playcalling, including more deep attempts (even a pass interferenceis a big play, David Patten got like 6 of those in 2005).

- JC not check down as much and try to be more accurate on his deep balls.

- get a third down back who can take it to the house

- get a PR/KR that's a more consistent threat to go all the way.

Just my :2cents:

Big Plays on both sides of the ball start on the lines.

A Big Push up the Middle makes turnovers. Where do you think Ed Reed would be without Ngata/Suggs/Lewis? Polomalu has Harrison and Woodley, both had 10+ sacks, and Harrison was DPOY. Bob Sanders has Dwight Freeny. Laron Landry has....

And even if you feel that JC will never get it done, and want to assume that Colt will solve our problem, a strong wall of Pass Protection will give Moss, Kelly, and Thomas more time to get open downfield. Even on routes that get broken up, a strong Pocket can break down coverage. After all, we know better than anybody that the Best Secondary can only cover for so long.

we need help everywhere...

JC cant throw deep cause he cant hit a buss 30 yards down the field.

we are not using Rock as RB at all cause CP complains when he doesnt get 25+ carries. Granted hes not that good of a 3rd back but it keeps CP healthier for long haul, we all saw what happened this year and CP wearing down in second half of the season.

we need these players to come up together and play as a team, not try to win the whole game by themselves. I admire CP wants to put everything on his shoulders but he cant do it alone.

we need help everywhere...

JC cant throw deep cause he cant hit a buss 30 yards down the field.

we are not using Rock as RB at all cause CP complains when he doesnt get 25+ carries. Granted hes not that good of a 3rd back but it keeps CP healthier for long haul, we all saw what happened this year and CP wearing down in second half of the season.

we need these players to come up together and play as a team, not try to win the whole game by themselves. I admire CP wants to put everything on his shoulders but he cant do it alone.

The only time I remember CP saying anything about playing time was against SF, and even then he said that him getting 1500 was secondary to winning.

Point blank, Zorn is the coach and he's the player. He'll learn to accept Jim Zorn if Zorn says that he wants a 3rd down back. Didn't Zorn bench him for one second half? I don't think Zorn would have a problem with a 3rd down back. (Mason anybody)

];6024727']Big Plays on both sides of the ball start on the lines.

A Big Push up the Middle makes turnovers. Where do you think Ed Reed would be without Ngata/Suggs/Lewis? Polomalu has Harrison and Woodley' date=' both had 10+ sacks, and Harrison was DPOY. Bob Sanders has Dwight Freeny. Laron Landry has....

And even if you feel that JC will never get it done, and want to assume that Colt will solve our problem, a strong wall of Pass Protection will give Moss, Kelly, and Thomas more time to get open downfield. Even on routes that get broken up, a strong Pocket can break down coverage. After all, we know better than anybody that the Best Secondary can only cover for so long.[/quote']

I agree with that except for special teams. We need somebody else back there to be a threat on punt returns and possibly to challenge Rock on kick returns.

And as big of a fan of JC as I was this year, I was kinda frustrated that he didn't take enough deep balls. Even when he had the time sometimes, he'd check down and throw it 10-15 yards. Against SF, they were saying that he had Thomas open deep once and he checked down to Moss. I wish we would ATTEMPT more deep balls and just hope to get lucky.

If you read the front page of the stadium you will notice there are a ton of "#1 problems/biggest problems/biggest issue/1 thing we need/1 hole we need to fill" threads. Yet all these threads state different needs/issues/problems/holes. This concerns me becuase I think the front office thinks this same way. If we can fix this one thing we are SB bound. Truth is the Redskins have a TON of problems that need to be addressed. Until Danny and Vinny realize this we will never be any better than we have been over the last couple of years.

How about this then, JC showed an ability to scramble against SF....how about more bootleg calls?

The only reason Campbell scrambled against SF, is bc SF runs a man defense most of the time. You can't bootleg a zone all the time, when opposing LB's are anticipating those kind of plays... All Nfc East Teams run a majority of zones and zone blitzes..

Archived