Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Now looking back at last years draft

PhiAlpha

What surprised me was last January Vinny was on Redskin Lunch talking need and he mentioned the Skins need a Justin Tuck on defense. A guy who can lineup over the center as well as come from the outside and dominate on the line. Well there was a guy with that type talent in Jason Jones who the Titans took 3 spots after Malcom Kelly. Why did they not consider him?

I understand BPA and all, but when you have multiple picks in a rd it allows you to take some chances. That's how Jimmy Johnson worked the draft. Trade back, get multiple picks in a rd, go with your board on one or two picks and then look at a guy with talent who may be reach at that spot but fits an area of need.

What surprised me was last January Vinny was on Redskin Lunch talking need and he mentioned the Skins need a Justin Tuck on defense. A guy who can lineup over the center as well as come from the outside and dominate on the line. Well there was a guy with that type talent in Jason Jones who the Titans took 3 spots after Malcom Kelly. Why did they not consider him?

I understand BPA and all, but when you have multiple picks in a rd it allows you to take some chances. That's how Jimmy Johnson worked the draft. Trade back, get multiple picks in a rd, go with your board on one or two picks and then look at a guy with talent who may be reach at that spot but fits an area of need.

I hate the term "BPA". At the end of the day how do you know you are getting the BPA? It's a crapshoot. So the Titans take someone 3 spots away from Malcom Kelly. Who got the best BPA? Who evaluated the talent best?

You don't draft for need if the BPA is obvious. But if you have a few players who are are in a handful of positions of being the best BPA on the board, then in my opinion you draft for need....because no matter how much research you have done, it's still a crapshoot.

I think there is a lot of truth here. I'm sure the thinking last year was that finding an eventual long-term replacement for Kendall was the only real priority on the line. Now we know differently.

No, the rest of the league knew the Skins needed a lot of replacements. I recall pundits saying that the Skins were hoping for one last gasp out of their aging line. It's the GM's responsibility to have a plan for every position on the team.

Give all of the rookies 5 years to see if they can play......just like JC.

And if they can't, at that point, and ONLY that point, draft some more.

Then give them 5 years, before making any decisions.

In the meantime, avoid watching any games from other teams, where rookies step in and make an immediate impact.

We are better than they are.

:silly:

Give all of the rookies 5 years to see if they can play......just like JC.

And if they can't, at that point, and ONLY that point, draft some more.

Then give them 5 years, before making any decisions.

In the meantime, avoid watching any games from other teams, where rookies step in and make an immediate impact.

We are better than they are.

:silly:

With three years being the average career of an NFL player giving them five years seems a bit long.

Hmm. Well I see Fred Davis taking over for Yoder this offseason anyway. And as for Kelly and Thomas, Thomas will most likely be in the starting lineup this year, and Kelly will probably play on some 4 wide sets. Durant = fail. And Brennan, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, could be the next Theismann.

You're 17 years old and saying a 7th round draft pick who has never taken a snap in a regular season game is going to be the next Theismann.

I love this board, everyone is a scout, GM, and coach.

Vinny can not build a team and doesn't know how to draft players who fit what the coaches need. All of these players we picked could turn out to be very good over time but we won't likely ever find out as they don't fit into what we are trying to do out there. If we do the same job drafting that we did last year and keep unproven rookies while letting older better players go for the sake of a "youth" movement we will be terrible (which I believe is the plan). The problem isn't the players its on the coaching staff and people making personnal decisions. No rookie ever made an impact in the game sitting on the bench, and until Vinny learns that (doubtful) and Zorn gets his head out of his butt and calls plays for the rookies (still possible) expect more of the same next year with the 09 rookies.

Archived