Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The best skins running back ever?

brandies

I mean what the f**k. 205 yards in the Superbowl and then just gone. I have to be careful around here because if I miss site someone will call me on it, so was it 206 yards? This guy literally averaged 205 yards a game, rushing, in the biggest game ever. Can we not state that he was the best ever. Big numbers, in the most important game. I think I left out Mike Thomas on the running back thread and Hollywood Henderson on the linebacker thread.

Actually, it was 204. But who's counting? :)

Fun to note that Redskins own 2 of the top 3 rushing performances in Super Bowl history.

Riggins' 166 against Miami in '82 was a record, and holds strong at #3 all time.

Timmy Smith's 204 against Denver still stands.

Not so much fun to note that the Redskins also figured in the #2 all time rushing performance.

191 ... Marcus Allen ... 1983.

Ouch.

Originally posted by Om

Actually, it was 204. But who's counting? :)

Fun to note that Redskins own 2 of the top 3 rushing performances in Super Bowl history.

Riggins' 166 against Miami in '82 was a record, and holds strong at #3 all time.

Timmy Smith's 204 against Denver still stands.

Not so much fun to note that the Redskins also figured in the #2 all time rushing performance.

191 ... Marcus Allen ... 1983.

Ouch.

Hey, I call Bullsh*t on Marcus. All the skins had the flu that week. My paraplegic grandmother could have gone for at least 90 yards against the washington D. Hey, only 8 players were on the field. the rest were in the bathroom. Actually, Doh, Riggens and Miami was the classic performance. He ran for what 166 yards against a real defense.

Originally posted by rtandler

Actually, it was Whitfield's teammate Gerry Allen who the Bears completely forgot to cover in the 1968 season opener in Soldier Field.

:D

Actually, the Bears were still playing at Wrigley Field then. HTTR

brandies, congrats on getting a good thread started. It's always good to see everybody's opinions. But allow me to make an observation. No offense intended.

It's Riggins. Not Riggens. You did it twice. I know it's a little thing, but it is "The Diesel" were talking about. I'm sure it was just an oversite.

Timmy Smith and the Super Bowl. On that day, it did not matter who the RB was. He was going to have a big day whoever it was.

Most of the highlights will show holes 10ft wide. The Hogs had a GREAT DAY. It looked like men blocking girls out there. We would have beaten ANY team in the league that day. It was just like Super Bowl XVII Hog Heaven!

Unfortunately, Super Bowl XVIII was the Raiders day. Like it or not. They kicked our a$$ good. They would have beaten ANY team in the league that day. We were the best team in the league that year. Better than the team that won the Super Bowl the year before. If it were a 10 game series, we would have beaten them 9 out of 10. But that day they could do no wrong and we could do no right. I firmly believe that that game helped us keep our heads about us early in Super Bowl XXII when things started out looking bleak. The sting of XVIII lingered and no one wanted to feel like that again. While "Black Sunday" was not a good thing, it was something we learned from, and it's memory drove the players that suffered that game, to excel, dominate, and win Super Bowls XXII & XXVI

Originally posted by Ax

brandies, congrats on getting a good thread started. It's always good to see everybody's opinions. But allow me to make an observation. No offense intended.

It's Riggins. Not Riggens. You did it twice. I know it's a little thing, but it is "The Diesel" were talking about. I'm sure it was just an oversite.

Timmy Smith and the Super Bowl. On that day, it did not matter who the RB was. He was going to have a big day whoever it was.

Most of the highlights will show holes 10ft wide. The Hogs had a GREAT DAY. It looked like men blocking girls out there. We would have beaten ANY team in the league that day. It was just like Super Bowl XVII Hog Heaven!

Unfortunately, Super Bowl XVIII was the Raiders day. Like it or not. They kicked our a$$ good. They would have beaten ANY team in the league that day. We were the best team in the league that year. Better than the team that won the Super Bowl the year before. If it were a 10 game series, we would have beaten them 9 out of 10. But that day they could do no wrong and we could do no right. I firmly believe that that game helped us keep our heads about us early in Super Bowl XXII when things started out looking bleak. The sting of XVIII lingered and no one wanted to feel like that again. While "Black Sunday" was not a good thing, it was something we learned from, and it's memory drove the players that suffered that game, to excel, dominate, and win Super Bowls XXII & XXVI

Thanks for the correction I still maintain that Superbowl was part of a conspiracy. That was the year I believe Shana at Rashneef Purem, Oregon, put biological agents in a salad bar at the Dalles so no one could vote but the neesh-nites. Could it be? Al Davis certainly is not a "CHARACTER" guy, or is he? another poll? just kidding. Well, I'm headed back to the grassy knoll.

Riggins, he carried the team to their first Super Bowl victory

Brown, Heart of a champion, i visited the hall of fame a couple of years ago. Walking upstairs there was one picture there and it was of Brown standing on the sideline. GREAT PITCURE!!

Davis, look at the numbers, and for below avg. teams too.

Battles, from what i have read.......a real stud!!

Whew, tough question. I must agree with lowghost, though, who said:

Larry Brown with Riggins being a close second. Brown was used to death by George Allen and everyone knew on 1st and 2nd down he was going to get the ball.

Brown may very well have been the better pure RB. However, if you were to pick one moment in Redskins history to remember with a smile, that moment features Riggins toting the ball and a few defenders into the endzone in the Super Bowl.

The fact that Riggins carried the team through the playoffs and was the SB MVP (With very good reason) is frosting on the cake.

It just does not get much better than that.

Originally posted by RTerps2002

I loved Riggens but lets face it he ran behind the best O-line in NFL history at the time the Redskins best ever probably... But not necessarly an outstanding back

That's not necessarily an outstanding statement. In fact, it's not a very informed one at all.

Riggins helped make that O-line famous as much as the line got him into Canton. The play calling of Gibbs and staff made it that way.

The perfect example of the even distribution of credit came in the fourth-down run in the Rose Bowl. Great call to go for it and a perfect play call. Not every offensive line could have blown the Dolphins' defense off the line as the Hogs did. And someone who is not an outstanding back could not have stiff-armed McNeal and gone all the way for the touchdown.

You tell me: would, say, Skip Hicks have been able to pull away from McNeal?

Originally posted by rtandler

That's not necessarily an outstanding statement. In fact, it's not a very informed one at all.

Riggins helped make that O-line famous as much as the line got him into Canton. The play calling of Gibbs and staff made it that way.

The perfect example of the even distribution of credit came in the fourth-down run in the Rose Bowl. Great call to go for it and a perfect play call. Not every offensive line could have blown the Dolphins' defense off the line as the Hogs did. And someone who is not an outstanding back could not have stiff-armed McNeal and gone all the way for the touchdown.

You tell me: would, say, Skip Hicks have been able to pull away from McNeal?

Hey check is in the mail for your book. But we are not talking Hicks. How would have Larry Brown have done. Maybe not 43 yards for the T.D. but that CB, would have been 13 yards down the line. What can you tell me about Battle? I'm only knowledgeable about the skins somewhat 60's on.

It's Riggo, hands down. He WAS a hog. He hit that line and MOVED it four yards.. He had a knack for finding the hole that was surprising, and he could accelerate thru it too. If there was no hole, he literally could make one, bhowling over defensive linemen. But the key component of the Riggo drill was simple. In the fourth quarter, that big lug could literally just POUND the life out of a team by himself. Give credit to his line sure,, but his line was clearing the first wave.. it was Riggins that made every linebacker quit, every safety lay down. By the mid 3rd quarter they were whipped if the drill was on.

He was tough. He would run on Sunday, check himself into Georgetown hospital on Monday, lay in traction til Wednesday, walk thru practice on Friday, and play again on Sunday.

He was a character. Aside from his famous party with Justice O'Connor, who else remembers Riggins travelling Georgetown after big wins in a limo and white tuxedo? Clearly the master of ceremonies. If the President didnt live in the same town, he would have been the biggest fish in the pond.

Hell, I remember one time he showed up on the set of "Redskins Sidelines" when Glenn Brenner still did the show. The redskins had just gotten into the playoffs, and were to play the Vikings, I think, and he showed up in his white tux, top hat, and three sheets to the wind on live TV. Didn't utter a single censorable word, and had a blast with the fans in the crowd, and me at home, too.

Riggo is one of a kind, and we who are old enough were fortunate to have seen him play here.

He's without peer. The best RB we've ever had.

~Bang

My book starts with the Redskins in DC, so it covers only the last year of Battles' career. He quit in a salary dispute with Marshall.

But here's his signature game, the 1937 regular season finale:

12/5/37 Redskins (8-3) 49, GIANTS (6-3-2) 14 58,285

Was 14 7 7 21 49

NYG 0 0 14 0 14

Was TD Battles 2, M. Krause, Justice, Milner 2, R. Smith; PAT R. Smith 7

NYG TD Cuff, Leemans; PAT Manon 2

Polo Grounds--You often hear of a team invading a city for a road game, and it’s usually hyperbole, but that’s exactly what the Redskins did to New York in the first trip the Washington Redskins made to the Big Apple in 1937. Between ten and twelve thousand fans boarded trains at Union Station to make the trek to the Polo Grounds to watch the two teams battle for the Eastern Conference title on the last day of the regular season. A 150-piece marching band made the trek as well. On arrival, owner George Preston Marshall led an impromptu parade down Seventh Avenue to Columbus Circle. The fans were marching along in step, singing the national capital’s new anthem, Hail to the Redskins.

Cliff Battles set the tone, leading the way on a grinding, 83-yard drive that he ended with a two-yard touchdown run. Later in the first, he galloped around left end for 75 yards to the Giants' five. Two plays later, Battles scored again and it was 14-0. A second-quarter drive started at midfield and ended when Max Krause scored on an up-the-middle run from five yards out.

A break got the Giants on the scoreboard as one of their passes bounced off of Erny Pinckert’s hand and into the arms of the Giants' Ward Cuff, who scampered 45 yards for the Giants' first score. A second Giants touchdown a few minutes later tied it up and had the Redskins' and their traveling faithful worried. The Giants, after all, had allowed just 60 points all season.

But that didn't stop Sammy Baugh, Battles, and company. Ed Justice was wide open on a 48-yard TD pass and, early in the fourth quarter, got more breathing room when Wayne Milner blocked a Giants' punt and fell on the ball in the end zone to make it 35-14. The Skins weren't done yet. Battles intercepted a long pass at the Washington 20, broke a couple of tackles, reversed his field twice, cut back and didn't stop until he ran out of gas and was caught from behind at the New York one. Riley Smith got the TD on the next play and, after Ray Flaherty emptied the bench, the Redskins scored once more on a Max Krause TD run of five yards. They were headed to Chicago to play the Bears for the NFL title

The Redskins' fans in the Polo Grounds stormed the field, tearing down the goal posts and reveling long after the final gun. Another gathering of 5,000 greeted the Redskins at Union Station when the trains arrived back in Washington.

Archived