Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The best skins running back ever?

brandies

Originally posted by rtandler

That's not necessarily an outstanding statement. In fact, it's not a very informed one at all.

Riggins helped make that O-line famous as much as the line got him into Canton. The play calling of Gibbs and staff made it that way.

The perfect example of the even distribution of credit came in the fourth-down run in the Rose Bowl. Great call to go for it and a perfect play call. Not every offensive line could have blown the Dolphins' defense off the line as the Hogs did. And someone who is not an outstanding back could not have stiff-armed McNeal and gone all the way for the touchdown.

You tell me: would, say, Skip Hicks have been able to pull away from McNeal?

I beleive Riggins career average was like 3.9 yards a carry we arent talking Emmitt or Barry here

Riggins' line in 82 was not all that great. It was GOING to be great, but that line was still very young and very raw. Watch the 82 NFC Championship game and SB 17 again and then claim Riggins benefitted from the greatest line of all time. He carried that team on his back, pure and simple. He got 3 yards out of nothin, over and over and over again. 35 or more times a game. Week after week.

I have to admit, I voted for Brown in this poll, but that's because I read the question wrong and thought we were talking about Jim Brown. :) No disrespect to Larry. he was a great back, and I'd put him at #2. But he doesn't have that ring. Riggins does, and he has it because he was the SB MVP. If you watch that SB again you'll see there is no doubt Riggins deserved that honor. Not the line. Riggins.

Brown and Riggins, neck and neck. Riggins wins out though.

I have to give a small amount of credit to Davis. He played pretty damn well on a team that had "part-time" players. He had alot of heart, even though he did let Westbrook beat him up. :laugh:

I have to go with Riggins, hands down, on this one. Every person I've ever seen interviewed who played defense against the Skins in that era when asked about Riggins says the same thing.

Everyone knew what they were going to run, everyone knew who was going to get the ball and no one could stop it.

That, in and of itself, is probably the best compliment that any opposing player or coach could ever say about a team, an offense, and a running back. Simply put, IMHO, Riggins may not have been the flashies or the most talented, but when he put on the pads and the #44, no one could stop him.

By the way, I know it happened years before this off season, but does anyone here find it ironic that he came from the Jets????

First of all, you spelled Riggins wrong in the poll. How could you ask the question who was the Skins greastest running back and not spell the names right? Second, pound for pound there was no tougher running back than Larry Brown. He was the true meaning of the word warrior. Third, John Riggins and Larry Brown are both two of my all time favorite Skins. I would rate the two even and call it a tie. Riggins and Brown were, and always will, be the two best running backs to wear Redskin colors.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to go with Stephen Davis. I think the reason no one has mentioned him is because he wasn't on a Super Bowl team. But if you think about it he was the best thing we had on offense for his whole tenure as the starting rb. And don't forget, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he the only Redskin to have three consecutive 1,000 yd seasons? Not to mention the most yards in one season. And just like Riggo, he too used carry the opposing defense down the field. I mean c'mon, if Davis had the Hogs to line up behind who knows the amount of yards he would have had.

I'm definitely not taking anything away from Riggo', but to not mention Stephen Davis as being possibly the Redskins best is unreal

Originally posted by great28

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to go with Stephen Davis. I think the reason no one has mentioned him is because he wasn't on a Super Bowl team. But if you think about it he was the best thing we had on offense for his whole tenure as the starting rb. And don't forget, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he the only Redskin to have three consecutive 1,000 yd seasons? Not to mention the most yards in one season. And just like Riggo, he too used carry the opposing defense down the field. I mean c'mon, if Davis had the Hogs to line up behind who knows the amount of yards he would have had.

I'm definitely not taking anything away from Riggo', but to not mention Stephen Davis as being possibly the Redskins best is unreal

You'll like this thread then:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=541&highlight=Stephen+Davis+Riggins

Rich, that was some great info on Battles.

Since Larry Brown opened the floodgates, the Skins have been blessed with a lot of 1,000 yard backs. Here's the list of Redskins leading rushers since Larry Brown's rookie year:

1969 - Larry Brown 888

1970 - Larry Brown 1,125

1971 - Larry Brown 948

1972 - Larry Brown 1,216

1973 - Larry Brown 860

1974 - Larry Brown 430

1975 - Mike Thomas 919

1976 - Mike Thomas 1,101

1977 - Mike Thomas 806

1978 - John Riggins 1,014

1979 - John Riggins 1,153

1980 - Wilbur Jackson 708

1981 - Joe Washington 916

1982 - John Riggins 553 (Strike Year)

1983 - John Riggins 1,347

1984 - John Riggins 1,239

1985 - George Rogers 1,093

1986 - George Rogers 1,203

1987 - George Rogers 613 (Strike Year)

1988 - Kelvin Bryant 498

Timmy Smith 470

Jamie Morris 437

1989 - Gerald Riggs 834

1990 - Earnest Byner 1,219

1991 - Earnest Byner 1,048

1992 - Earnest Byner 998

1993 - Reggie Brooks 1,063

1994 - Ricky Ervins 650

1995 - Terry Allen 1,309

1996 - Terry Allen 1,353

1997 - Terry Allen 724

1998 - Terry Allen 700

1999 - Stephen Davis 1,405

2000 - Stephen Davis 1,318

2001 - Stephen Davis 1,432

2002 - Stephen Davis 820

Had Riggins not sat out in 1980, he could very well have had another 1,000 season, which would have given him five with the Skins. That has to put him No. 1, at least in my book.

Archived