Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Offense is Suited for the Patriots Scheme

Chiefinonhaze

We should not run the power style football that we try to establish IMO. It has worked at times, but not with Campbell at the helm. It has worked with Collins and Brunell, which relies the quarterback to make quick reads off of the playaction.

The more I watch Cassel, the more I see the reason for his success. He was getting sacked a lot early on, so they started using him in a lot of shotgun, 4wr sets. This allowed him to hit the short throws, screens, and use the pass to set up the run. Campbell is more of this type quarterback, because he is too slow under center. This would also allow Portis to excel, because he is so quick, and with a 6 man box he could be a serious threat.:gaintsuck

We have two players that can be effective just as Wes Welker is, in Santana Moss and Randel El. Campbell is also good at the short throws under 15 yards.

Zorn should really look into this. I think he may try this in the future, and this is why he stock piled on wide recievers.

I agree. I was begging for Gibbs to coach like this years ago. We'd maximize the use of our offensive players, and put our best 11 out there, if we adopted a more open scheme. It would also do a lot to mask our weaknesses on the O-line. I don't think Campbell is accurate enough to run it though. He is surprisingly off target in the short-passing game.

I think you make some valid points here--- anything to get us back to scoring at least 20points would be nice. The only problem i have is with a 6 man box i dont know if our o-line can handle that pressure. I hope zorn does try this --- as much as i like him im tired of simple screens and slants that I can usualy tell waht they are as soon as i see the formation

Our offense is built for the Patriots shceme??? dude no offense but where have you been the last 4 years? Gibbs built this team to be the exact opposite of the 4-WR spread sets. Gibbs' vision was a powerful smashmouth run team that beat you up along the trenches and used the run to set up the simple downfield vertical passing game. Nothing on this team (especially up front) resembles a spread them out 4-WR team.

Maybe in a few years when we get the bodies to play such a scheme we would implement it but as things stand right now we are sitll what Gibbs created.

I agree. I was begging for Gibbs to coach like this years ago. We'd maximize the use of our offensive players, and put our best 11 out there, if we adopted a more open scheme. It would also do a lot to mask our weaknesses on the O-line. I don't think Campbell is accurate enough to run it though. He is surprisingly off target in the short-passing game.

i dont think he is accurate enough either. but we do have brennan, who played in the spread in college. so does it make more sense to go with him if we were to give the spread a shot?

Archived