Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boston Globe's Bob Ryan Suspended

codeorama

Tuesday, May 6

Updated: May 6, 7:42 PM ET

Ryan said on TV that Kidd's wife should be smacked

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

Sports columnist Bob Ryan was suspended by The Boston Globe for one month without pay after saying on television that the wife of New Jersey Nets guard Jason Kidd, who was allegedly the victim of domestic abuse, needed someone to "smack her."

"Bob Ryan's comments were a clear and egregious violation of the standards of The Boston Globe," Globe editor Martin Baron said in a statement. "Bob has been told in no uncertain terms that his remarks were offensive and unacceptable."

The columnist was also barred from appearing on radio or television for one month. Ryan also works for ESPN as a regular panelist on "Around the Horn" and "The Sports Reporters" and is a regular guest on ESPN Radio.

Ryan, who has since expressed regret, made the comments Sunday night during a segment on WBZ-TV's Sports Final show.

Kidd said Boston fans insulted his wife and 3-year-old son during Game 4 of the 2002 Eastern Conference finals at the FleetCenter. Fans taunted Kidd with chants of "wife beater," referring to 2001 charges that he had struck his wife, Joumana.

Kidd eventually agreed to a plea and received six months of court-ordered counseling.

The Celtics and Nets began another playoff series on Monday, prompting Ryan and host Bob Lobel to discuss whether Kidd and his family will receive similar treatment when the teams come to Boston for Game 3 on Friday.

During the show, Ryan said Kidd should expect taunts from the crowd, then criticized the Kidds for using their son "as a prop" and called Joumana Kidd an "exhibitionist"

Then, in a comment that was not picked up clearly on tape, he said: "Oh great. I mean she needs (inaudible) to smack her."

At that point, Lobel interrupted, saying, "You can't say that. What's happening here? You know what, I will give you a mulligan on that."

Ryan retorted: "I'm not looking for that."

Lobel persisted, saying, "You just don't want to smack her. You just don't mean to say that. Really, tell me you don't?"

"Why should I say anything different than I said all playoffs last year?" Ryan said.

In a statement Tuesday, Ryan apologized to Joumana Kidd for the "inappropriate and offensive remark."

"It was, of course, atrocious judgment on my part," he said. "I wish to state clearly that I am aware of the very real problem of violence against women in our society, and that in no way is it a joking matter."

Nets players and coaches called for Ryan's dismissal. Speaking during practice Tuesday, New Jersey coach Byron Scott said Ryan "should be out of a job."

"Just tell him to come right in here and he can say that in front of me and Jason and some of our players," he told reporters. "He'll see how well he'll be received."

Kidd called the comments "unfortunate" and said his wife "felt sorry if she offended (Ryan) in any way."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

That was a dumb thing for him to say. Especially with the history the Kidd family has. Uncalled for...and the Boston fans are moving themselves right up there with the Philly fans on the b@stard list. Heckling the guy, calling him "wifebeater" etc. Classless...

Originally posted by codeorama

Ryan was an idiot for opening his trap, but if I was a Boston fan, I probably would have chanted "wife beater" too. Kidd is a moron for hitting his wife and deserves any grief he gets from it.

Yea, but in all fairness he has come clean about it and have been very remorseful over the whole incident. No doubt what he did was wrong, but at what point do you stop bringing up the skeleton in somebodies closet? Not to mention, how do you think it makes his wife feel sitting there listening to those jerkoffs chant "wifebeater" in their annoying boston accents? :doh:

Originally posted by escholz

Yea, but in all fairness he has come clean about it and have been very remorseful over the whole incident. No doubt what he did was wrong, but at what point do you stop bringing up the skeleton in somebodies closet? Not to mention, how do you think it makes his wife feel sitting there listening to those jerkoffs chant "wifebeater" in their annoying boston accents? :doh:

:laugh: :laugh:

I'm ok though, I don't have the Boston accent..:D

Ryan did come clean so that's a positive, but what was he thinking?

I think Ryan's comments were uncalled for and the actions of the Boston fans were disgusting. While Kidd should not have struck his wife he has been very forthcoming about the incident and his desire for it to never happen again. You can't really ask for much more.

Boston fans.... I am going to Monday nights game (in Boston) and will have a few words to say to the idiot fans sporting wife beaters with Kidd's name on them. I have some friends who went to a game last year and wore them and when I found out I gave them hell. And told them they were as bad as Philly fans. I understand that having a home game you are supposed to be loud and (at times) obnoxious, because you want the opponent distracted and thinking about issues other than game-related, but can't that be done with some amount of decency? I remember there were some very rude comments spoken to Kidd's wife last year too-- shame on those fans.

Here's to hoping they have matured in the past year. I doubt it has happened though. Every time I go to a Boston sporting event I nearly come to blows with some drunken a$$hole.

I have the same take as basically all of you do. I'm going to focus on something else.

I love how quickly NBA players are to call for the firing of a sports columnist for a single transgression, as stupid as Ryan's was. But the fact is Ryan's comments didn't hurt a soul.

But when a player does something far more dangerous, like driving drunk or beating his wife, they're suddenly champions for fairness and second chances if it's even intimated that the player's career should end. For example contrast this incident with Latrell Sprewell's incident with Carlissimo five years ago and you tell me if this is consistent.

Originally posted by redman

I have the same take as basically all of you do. I'm going to focus on something else.

I love how quickly NBA players are to call for the firing of a sports columnist for a single transgression, as stupid as Ryan's was. But the fact is Ryan's comments didn't hurt a soul.

But when a player does something far more dangerous, like driving drunk or beating his wife, they're suddenly champions for fairness and second chances if it's even intimated that the player's career should end. For example contrast this incident with Latrell Sprewell's incident with Carlissimo five years ago and you tell me if this is consistent.

Great point that I totally missed.

The nets players were outspoken about Ryan getting fired, were they for Kidds release when he went "Mike Tyson" on his wife?

everyone is overreacting on this. sure, ryan did a naughty thing. it wasn't a smart move on his part. but to hear kidd demanding an apology and saying it was a direct threat is disgusting. ryan had no intention of hitting her, kidd did hit her. kidd should keep his mouth shut.

Originally posted by redman

I can't argue with you on that one. The only thing I would say is that sports writers are subject to a higher standard with what they write and say given that is their job. I, for one, am suprised that Ryan's comments made it past the editor's desk.

Archived