Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

49 detained in Iranian "statanic" clothing raid

WVUforREDSKINS

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28054861/

TEHRAN - Police have arrested 49 people this week in a northern Iranian city during a crackdown on "satanic" clothes, IRNA news agency reported Thursday.The measures are the latest in a country-wide campaign against Western cultural influence in the Islamic Republic, where strict dress codes are enforced.

"Police confronted rascals and thugs who appeared in public wearing satanic fashions and unsuitable clothing," Qaemshahr city police commander Mahmoud Rahmani told IRNA.

Rahmani also said that five barber shops were shut and 20 more warned for "promoting Western hairstyles."

Campaign ongoing since 2007

In the past, such crackdowns have lasted a few weeks or months, but the current campaign was launched in 2007 and has not let up.

It includes measures against men sporting spiky "Western" hairstyles or women wearing tight trousers and high boots.

Women are supposed to wear clothing that covers their hair and disguises the shape of their bodies. But some, particularly in cities, wear headscarves pushed back well beyond their hairlines and sport tight-fitting outfits.

Some analysts say the authorities fear such open acts of defiance against the Islamic Republic's values could escalate if they go unchecked. This worries them when Iran is under pressure from the West over its disputed nuclear work, they say.

"Some individuals, not knowing what culture they are imitating, put on clothing that was designed by the enemies of this country," Rahmani said.

"The enemies of this country are trying to divert our youth and breed them the way they want and deprive them of a healthy life," he added.

No word on punishments

Rahmani did not say how the offenders would be punished. Usual penalties are a warning or a fine.

Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has in the past suggested Iran's enemies may try to stage a "soft" or "velvet" revolution by infiltrating corrupt culture or ideas.

What's really sad, is that, after just reading the title, and none of the article, I originally typed the comment below totally out of sarcasm, and it turns out, it was the actual truth, now that I read the artricle :

So, people were arrested in Iran for dressing like "Satan"

So, basically, they were just dressed in "American" clothes, since the U.S. is the "Great Satan" ??

No word on punishments

Rahmani did not say how the offenders would be punished. Usual penalties are a warning or a fine.

Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has in the past suggested Iran's enemies may try to stage a "soft" or "velvet" revolution by infiltrating corrupt culture or ideas.

And here I thought they were going to pour acid into their eyes.

Yeah, now there is a rational government. I'm so glad it is a moderate country. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say its necessarily an irrational action, but it probably won't get any good press and things like this may end up causing more problems for the Iranian government if people become defiant of it. Kind of a meh story, stuff like this happened the Arab world in Egypt and Morocco in the Satanic Scare in the 90's about heavy metal, I believe. Just another way that a group in power uses to suppress dissent and potential problem spots.

What a surprise. A personal attack on me without a relevant argument. Congrats on another fail.

it's not a personal attack

you just don't know what the word means, it happens

and look the second you try to justify your arguments is when I will justify my rebuttals, it's not fair for me to do more work proving you wrong than you try to do proving yourself right

it's not a personal attack

you just don't know what the word means, it happens

and look the second you try to justify your arguments is when I will justify my rebuttals, it's not fair for me to do more work proving you wrong than you try to do proving yourself right

Dude. Just stop. I'm not going to bite and you're just making an ass of yourself. :doh:

I love the middle east. It is more important to remain conservative in beliefs then human life or liberty. Amazing. I'm sure Muhammad is proud.

I would be very careful about making blanket statements about a region. For one Lebanon is a pretty liberal and progressive state. Also for these governments it is more important to stay in power, they just use conservative beliefs as a mechanism to maintain power.

Archived