Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yea or Nay--Smoot for Rodgers Straight Up?

JangoFett

Originally posted by GatorEye

nay - if God forbid something happened to Champ, we'd be in big trouble.

Even with Smoot, we'd be pretty much screwed if something happened to Champ.

The only teams that aren't screwed when their best cover corner get injured are teams like Tampa that play the Cover 2 or a team that didn't have a very good #1 CB to begin with, like the Lions.

Why's everyone picking on poor Ron Nay. He's a good scout. Right now I'd say keep Smoot. Look for depth if needed in the June Markets. I don't like making strengths weaker. Rodgers has equal questions or more serious ones since we can add injury to poor/mediocre play last year. Smoot was mediocre last year, just had a problem locating the ball. Not that that's an important skill for a cb:rolleyes:

I wanna keep Smoot but if Rogers has equal value and could settle our DT position for after Big Daddy Lite is gone....then that might be nice. Big Daddy Lite as losing weight now should stick on the team this year at least.....if we want more cap room we should cut Rod Jones who was useless and now we have Sulfsted and Dockery for backup OT spots.....Jones would bring a savings for more players or Champ extension.

Also, is there any chance that the Lions will cut Rogers after June 1 just to end there woes with him?

I'd say the addition of Molden allows us some leeway in this type of move. Molden is no slouch, and stealing him may be one of the unheralded moves that makes a difference.

However, I am not ready to let Wilkinson go. He's solid and he shows up every week. He's played well for us, and he's done what the coaches ask him to do, with this svelte new body being proof that he is working hard to improve his already good game. Hard to kick him to the curb.

Now what about any DE that may come available if Smoot is dangled? We need a pass rusher in the WORST way. It clearly is the most glaring weakness on this team. If we could grab a guy to pressure the QB consistently for Smoot, I say go for it. Molden gives us flexibility that we didn't have a week ago.

On the other hand, with Wynn and Upshaw, any DE pass rusher we would get now likely would be a part time player, and do we really want that for a guy with talent, which I think Smoot has?

By the way, there is an unwritten rule. You never should have anyone on your football team by the name of Pepé. Especially one that had too many drug questions for the Cowboys to stand. If he's not good enough to play for a team that has won 15 games in 3 seasons, why in hell would we want this bum here? As far as I know, we can use unpaid interns to clean up towels and bring water to the players.

~Bang

Archived