Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What I've come to know/believe about the 2008 Redskins

armada58

With no real outlet locally (I live in Eagles territory) to discuss my true passion, I'm left with this forum to talk about my/our Redskins. I've got some random thoughts I need to get out. After 12 weeks (11 games), here's some things I truly know and believe about The Redskins.....

....Jason Campbell is a compotent, talented QB. Efficient and accurate with football. He's grown into a reliable QB who can close games and make the occasional comeback. However, he's not ready to put the entire team on his shoulders. I believe this will come with more time in the offense and more time with Zorn.

....Jim Zorn was/is the right hire.

....Clinton Portis is one of the toughest players in the NFL and is certainly going to break his own team record for rushing yards in a season.

....Our running game will keep us in almost every game we play no matter the opponent and is the single biggest strength of the team.

....Our ruinning game will take us to the playoffs as a wild card.

....Our pass rush will make sure our trip to the playoffs is short.

....Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, & Fred Davis need time. I believe Kelly will be our #2 next year and Devin Thomas will replace Moss in 2010.

....In 2011, we will look back at the 2008 draft as a good one. After 11 weeks of the 2008 season, the knee jerk reaction is to nit-pick it to death.

....The Redskins are a team on the rise.

....If you thought Jason Taylor was going to tear it up this season, you should have been committed.

....If you think trading for Jason Taylor was the wrong move, you should also be committed. Stop drinking the Hindsight Light Beer and put down the I Told You So Pork Rinds.

....I believe Zorn when he says execution is the problem and not the scheme.

....We need a redzone threat and Kelly is the answer. It's just not the answer YET.

....No more crunch-time carries for Ladell Betts.

....As good as Suisham has been this year, coming up short and hitting the crossbar on FG Attempts shorter than 50 yards 2 weeks in a row is inexcusable unless the wind was blowing 75 MPH is his face.

....A kick off inside the 15 yards line would have been nice yesterday.

....I'm really psyched about the future of this team.

....Our Secondary is awesome.

....If you don't think Deangelo Hall is replacing Shawn Springs next year, you need to join the guy who was committed above.

....I'm REALLY worried about our pass rush.

....The way I see it, we're 2 offensive linemen and 2 defensive linemen away from taking the next step. You know what, that's not bad. Usually the problem is at the skill positions.

....Love Landry/Horton as the safety tandem.

....I can't for the life of me understand why there aren't at least 32 really good punters in this world. Is punting really THAT hard??

....I believe we're at the start of a really good era of Redskins Football.

....I'm not at all norvous about making that last statement.

Great thread my man. Great thread. I gotta say I agree with each and every point you made there.

Except the "pass rush means short playoffs trip" part. We've beaten some elite passing teams without this so-called lack of pass rush (New Orleans, Arizona, Dallas, Philly) and we've been told over and over again by Blache that our defense is what it is; the scheme we run is not about getting sacks but staying in our lanes to give the QB no ability to run or have a clear passing lane to throw through... we've caused a lot of tipped balls, intentional groundings, and INTs because of this scheme. Plus, no QB has really hurt us on the ground or escaped the pocket consistently. We've gone against the likes of Romo sits to pee and Mcnabb who love to do just that, but couldn't against us. It's the scheme.

If you watched the last Blache interview that was posted Thursday on redskins.com, he explained it again in detail and was really annoyed by the constant questioning of the sack stats we have.

Maybe next year we get some guys who get to the passer a bit faster, especially up the middle at DT, but I don't think our defense will be why we lose a game in the playoffs. You may be right, of course, I don't know everything but I thought I'd share that. :)

....The way I see it, we're 2 offensive linemen and 2 defensive linemen away from taking the next step. You know what, that's not bad. Usually the problem is at the skill positions.

With the cap maxed out and draft picks traded away, where will these offensive and defensive linemen come from?

As of now, the Redskins are most weak where it counts the most. What skill position players will they need to release in order to build up their O and D line.

Danny and Vincy know this. With the cap maxed out, the Redskins will need to rob Peter to pay Paul.

I have come to believe the same as you. I am still a little concerned about a Wild Card spot this year however.

The Rams game is going to come back and haunt us....as tight as the race will be...I think we can only afford to lose one more game to secure the 6th seed. I'm not so sure that 10-6 will get it done.

I agree with a lot of your points but I just don't see this one happening. Moss will likely still be a very productive #1 two years from now.

I should have clarified this thought by saying that Devin Thomas will most likely replace Moss by 2010 not because of Moss' ability. He will replace Moss because he will have matured and be ready for the next step while Moss' salary will become bloated and will be cut for cap purposes.

Archived