Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

B&G sign cb Alex Molden to 2yr. deal

MAATopDogg

That is both strange and interesting. It really makes you wonder if Smoot is still secretly on the trading block at Ashburn. Either that or they are concerned that Bauman is not cutting it as the nickle back and they want to make sure that we are deep enough at DB to take care of business.

All I know is we need to get a pass-rusher in here ASAP. I'm really hoping to see Jamir Miller in Burgandy and Gold in the next few days.

Molden was a high pick by the Saints that has not lived up to his billing. But he has been a solid player for the most part. He joined the Chargers as a free agent and played well there the first year Butler was in SD.

He is not a 'Marty' player, ie a corner that comes up and forces the run well. He more of a finesse corner.

Still he is only 26 or 27.

The one thing I find amusing is that in the WP Spurrier said after the draft the team was just about done making moves heading into camp and now we find out the Skins were making the move on Molden and perhaps Jamir Miller as well :laugh:

Just goes to show you that most of what is said in public about personnel and making moves is just a smokescreen.

A pro sports front office is not going to lay out their entire strategy for everyone to read and then react to :)

I don't think this has anything to do with Smoot at all. Look at the depth chart. Who was the third or fourth CB? Harrison? Branch? Scrub? Donavan Greer?:doh: Could also be just in case Champ do not want to resign next year:doh:

Could be I am his agent and I am just lying as to create a media frenzy:doh:

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

Chargers were last in the NFL for pass defense last year. What did Marty do about it? He cut Molden (and safety Harrison) and drafted two CBs and a S in the first three rounds.

We had better not be trading Smoot.

Yea, my guess is this is more a move for depth than anything. It had better be...:doh:

instead of being a potential replacement for a traded Smoot, perhaps Molden was signed because Bauman is not yet ready to be the #3 corner and on the field on a regular basis? :)

I know before the draft the Skins and some others such as Darrell Green were talking Bauman up but maybe some of that was a smokescreen to make other teams believe the Skins were shopping Smoot because Bauman was a guy who is capable of starting in 2003?

Again, from what I saw of Bauman in 2002, he was solid for a rookie. He made mistakes but was not lost out there when he finally got on the field. He tackled well and seemed to be right there in coverage for the most part.

But at 5'8 he did have trouble with physical receivers. And because he really didn't get on the field in the regular defense until the latter stages of the season, I think he is still aways away from being a starter.

Molden may come in as the #3 and then be there as insurance in case of injury or the departure of either Smoot via trade or Champ via free agency in 2003/4.............

I would guess that if anything, this has more to do with Smoot than Bauman. Bauman played some #3 corner last year and looked ok as far as I could tell.

I think the contract will tell us a lot--how long and how much money. A one year, minimum deal would would reduce the chance that anyone would be moved.

Bulldog is right -- as usual -- Molden was a high draft pick originally -- #1 or #2 if my memory serves me correct -- but probably more suited now as a backup corner. Molden has been injury prone of late.

But I smell smoke in the kitchen again with Smoot. Why?

You have Bailey as your #1 corner, Smoot as #2, and Bauman as #3. Now you are going to go sign Molden as the #4? Maybe but I sense something else is in the works here.

The remaining CB's are not scrubs. We have Lloyd Harrison, Ade Jimoh and Brian Mance.

So in effect we have a logjam at CB now, just like RB. Maybe this is wishful thinking here, but I keep dreaming about this Fred Smoot for DT Shaun Rogers trade with Detroit. :gus:

Or possibly the Skins trade Smoot for a #2 draft pick, and then send another #2 pick to Seattle for Shaun Springs? :rolleyes:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3986

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Maybe this is wishful thinking here, but I keep dreaming about this Fred Smoot for DT Shaun Rogers trade with Detroit. :gus:

Very interesting thought, Inmate....

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

So in effect we have a logjam at CB now, just like RB. Maybe this is wishful thinking here, but I keep dreaming about this Fred Smoot for DT Shaun Rogers trade with Detroit. :gus:

Keep on dreaming dude...

I think Molden's falling out with Marty is being misread. Again, it is Marty's belief that a corner HAS to be a visible factor in stopping the run.

That's what got Bailey and Smoot in trouble with Marty at times, they were not the best tacklers around...............but they could cover :)

And Molden can cover as well. Like Bailey, although he is not in Champ's class, he is more of a finesse player.

Originally posted by bulldog

The one thing I find amusing is that in the WP Spurrier said after the draft the team was just about done making moves heading into camp and now we find out the Skins were making the move on Molden and perhaps Jamir Miller as well :laugh:

Just goes to show you that most of what is said in public about personnel and making moves is just a smokescreen.

A pro sports front office is not going to lay out their entire strategy for everyone to read and then react to :)

It may be that Spurrier is finished on the "O" side of the ball. Last year Marvin got the new toys and he got his old gator toys. This season the "O" has gotten all the attention. Spurrier got all the new toys to take to camp. From his point of view the team is ready.

I wonder how much attention Spurrier gives to the "D"?

Originally posted by bulldog

[

He is not a 'Marty' player, ie a corner that comes up and forces the run well. He more of a finesse corner.

[/b]

Its not like smoot is a run stuffer sure tackler.....he's a finesse one on one man himself and Marty drafted him...???

Archived