Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is the Most Important Stat for a QB

Chiefinonhaze

The percantage they complete on 3rd and long. Even Jaws said this stat is what makes/breaks a quarterback, the ablilty to convert on third and 8+. Jason Campbell is ranked 11th, and Eli is 1st.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=&range=&rank=047

I would agree that this is a very important stat. But again, its a team thing. Coach has to be calling the right plays.

I very much agree with this argument. If you look at the teams with the highest third down conversion rates over the past decade, the correlation with teams that made the playoffs is incredibly consistent. Third downs are where you keep the ball in your hands and deny the other team an opportunity to score. Third downs are where the differences between quarterbacks really come out.

Jason has generally been good on third down this year, although the past couple weeks have been disappointing. I attribute that as much to the blocking as I do to JC - I haven't seen any fundamental difference in him, but he's often had to dodge rushers after only a second or two in the pocket. If we give him time, he's shown that he's vastly improved his ability to find and hit the open man.

Two words to explain Eli: Plaxico Burress. When in doubt, Eli can just put the ball up and Plax comes down with it 75% of the time. Hopefully Kelly can turn into that kind of receiver once he starts playing.

QFT.

I absolutely hate watching the Giants, because Eli blindly throws it up in the air in the general vicinity of Plaxico about eight times a game, and almost without fail, Plax will get his hands on it because he's guarded by a couple guys who are half a foot shorter. Thus, Eli gets labeled as a quarterback who "just makes things happen" and other nonsense, while Jason has to eat a sack or throw it away, because he doesn't have anyone who's taller than me (and I'm not that tall).

If Malcolm turns into half of what Burress is, I'll be absolutely stoked.

Archived