Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pft: Vrabel doesn’t buy owners’ complaints

DWinzit

VRABEL DOESN’T BUY OWNERS’ COMPLAINTS

Six months ago, NFL owners opted out of the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the NFL Players’ Association, saying they needed to fix problems with the deal.

Count Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel as one union member who thinks the deal isn’t broken.

Vrabel tells the Boston Herald that he doesn’t buy the owners’ claims that they need revisions to the CBA in order to ensure the financial well-being of all 32 clubs.

How bad are their books?” Vrabel asked. “They can cut [Raiders cornerback DeAngelo Hall] eight games after they sign him for $70 million. They can offer Brett Favre $10 million a season for 10 years not to play for the Packers. Come on. We ask to see their books and they won’t open them. It’s tough to form a partnership with someone who won’t show us his books. These franchises are worth billions. You open USA Today and they got every player’s salary listed. We have to go to Forbes Magazine to try and guess what the teams are worth.”

Vrabel thinks it’s important for the union to find a new leader who’s ready to stand firm with the owners — even if that means a labor stoppage.

“Nobody wants to see a lockout in 2011,” Vrabel said, “but we are going to insist on what is fair.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

I just hope they resolve their differences before '11. Another work-stoppage would be a critically bad thing for the game IMO.

I don't think so. It would obviously leave a lot of money out there, but I don't think anyone's going to stop watching football if there's a work stoppage.

People will stop watching it. How many people? Not sure, but you can bet the high the NFL is at right now will dip some.

That means less money for the owners and the players. What both sides forget is that we, THE FANS, control the books and the money.

They better not have a stoppage as it would be heart breaking for the young players teams have investments in, that will become a year older when they play. Imagine old vets that want one more year to play. Would be crushing on so many levels.

VRABEL DOESN’T BUY OWNERS’ COMPLAINTS

How bad are their books?” Vrabel asked. “They can cut [Raiders cornerback DeAngelo Hall] eight games after they sign him for $70 million. They can offer Brett Favre $10 million a season for 10 years not to play for the Packers. Come on. We ask to see their books and they won’t open them. It’s tough to form a partnership with someone who won’t show us his books. These franchises are worth billions. You open USA Today and they got every player’s salary listed. We have to go to Forbes Magazine to try and guess what the teams are worth.”

Seeing some players cribs on the Internet, I kinda want to see how bad the players' books are.

More than anything, I think any money wrung from either side needs to go to the retired players. Guys who went through a lot more than today's players do, and who need the money a lot more than the current players or owners.

I just hope they fix the ridiculuos amount of money that top ten picks get.
It's really more than just the top 10 picks, most of the first round gets crazy guaranteed money. All goes to a guy without a day of NFL experience. On the other end, most teams currently have about 3-5 players that make a huge portion of their cap number.

It will be interesting to see how the economic conditions alter the coming negotiations.

Archived