Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WD's Midseason awards and comments

Walking Deadman

Just some early thoughts and mid-season kudos to the Skins......here's to the 2nd half of the season:cheers:

Offensive MVP- Clinton Portis: Has the potential to be the league MVP by the end of the season. Currently leads the league in rushing and is in the top 5 in TDs. Add his amazing pass protection and his ability to be a workhorse in a non-workhorse NFL. Not just a character or a "system back"* but one of the best RBs in the league. Period.

(Runners Up: Jason Campbell, Santana Moss)

*http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=116521 - read my question to CP back when I was goskins.

Defensive MVP- London Fletcher: When isn't London Fletcher involved in a play? I mean he's all over the field making critical tackles or pressuring a QB. Go back to the goal-line stance vs. Browns and watch #59 stop both the run and the pass. Also, who else can catch Westbrook for a nice open filed tackle. London, you may have never been to a pro bowl (yet- let's get him in folks!!!!) but you're an MVP in my book.

(Runner up: Carlos Rogers)

Most Improved Player Offense- Jason Campbell: Yes, JC has clearly shown potential in 2006 and 2007. We all know he has an arm. We all know he's athletic. But it wasn't until this season we now know that he's a franchise QB. He finds open recievers, he doesn't lock on one guy or his primary target. If the play isn't there he can make plays with his feet or if he has to, throw it away or even take a sack. He has reduced mistakes significantly and this is in the first year of another new system. And the best part is that Campbell is still improving.........

(Runner Up: Jon Jansen)

Most Improved Player Defense- Carlos Rogers: When the season started if you had asked me who was the best corner on our team I'd have an easy answer: Shawn Springs. If you ask me that question now, I'd say it would be Carlos. First, he came back from a serious knee injury. When Springs went down, it was Rogers that played tight man coverage against the likes of TO and Braylon Edwards. And let's not forget the licks he's been putting on guys in his path. I knew he played the run well, but to hit like that? Wow. It took awhile but he's now showing why he was a high 1st rounder in the 2005 draft.

(Runner Up: Kedric Golston)

Redskins Rookie of the year- Chris Horton: No real suprise if you've been following him since he started playing all the way back in the HOF game. Yep, a 7th rounder (only a few spots removed from the famous "MR IRRELEVANT" title) has not only made an impact but has became our starter and still is in serious consideration for the NFL Rookie of the Year award. Much like my defensive MVP, Horton seems to be involved in every play.

My opinion, I feel it is hard to say who would be the MVP on offense right now because everyone is pretty much doing very well. Moss has made great plays to help us win games. It is like when you put the ball in his hands, winning games is much easier. When opponents take Moss away, Randel El has stepped up to #1 receiver and always make key 3rd down conversions. He also scored a TD in the Dallas game to help the win. This year, Campbell is just a beast. He has yet to turnover the ball, and he is mostly accurate on every throw. I feel he needs to be more aware of his surroundings or just release the ball faster. You can't forget Portis. The guy is a monster and he is already leading rusher of NFL. At this current status, I agree with you. Portis is the offensive MVP. It all depends on who remains healthy and be able to play. Ofcourse, if Portis gets hurt and can't play for 2-3 games, that leading rushing title will be taken away.

Agreed. I don't think there is much more to say. I think Moss should be mentioned some where in there. But other than that, spot on.

I was really tempted to put 'tana on the "most improved" spot but it had to go to JC, MVP as well but CP has been so dominant. Jansen was there as well based on the 2007 injury and losing the job to Heyer.

I had some more like best FO move, biggest suprise, biggest disapointment but didn't feel like doing the big write up so here they are.

FO move: actually drafting players and looking at the future than wasting picks for past their prime players (I still think the James trade was very smart and Taylor while being hindered by injury was a needed move after losing Daniels and Buzbee).

Suprise: we're 6-2? I mean really, look at the first 5 games on the schedule. If we had gone 2-3 I think alot of fans would have been somewhat happy especially with an unknown rookie HC and a semi-new system.

Disapointment: Durant Brooks I suppose. I guess you could say the Rams game also. Or Malcom Kelly's knee/Shawn Springs calf

Archived