Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Special" Teams & Lack of Pass Rush.....ugh

NoCalMike

Look, I know there there is PLENTY of blame to go around in today's loss, however the biggest things that jumped out at me was how awful our special teams coverage is(and has been the entire season) and the lack of pass rush.

Why are the Rams of all teams able to block our D-line on a consistent basis?

As soon as Bulger busted out of the pocket on that final pass play I knew what he was going to do, I just had to cross my fingers that our secondary covered the WR, but the WR made a nice falling down catch, and that pretty much sealed the deal.

Suisham, kicking the ball out of bounds on a kickoff late in the game is inexcusable, and even when he does kick the ball well, our coverage just lets the kick returner get to midfield almost every time.

I know we had some turnovers, but we can't expect to NEVER have turnovers, and they shouldn't burn us against a team like the Rams. Against Philly or Dallas, yes I expect to lose if we turn the ball over three times.

Funny enough, apparently our problem with pass rush is from the interior... And Kedric Golston has taken over the starting job. But Montgomery got a sack.

I wonder what Montgomery did to lose his job... He showed a lot of promise last year collapsing the pocket.

Look, I know there there is PLENTY of blame to go around in today's loss, however the biggest things that jumped out at me was how awful our special teams coverage is(and has been the entire season) and the lack of pass rush.

Why are the Rams of all teams able to block our D-line on a consistent basis?

As soon as Bulger busted out of the pocket on that final pass play I knew what he was going to do, I just had to cross my fingers that our secondary covered the WR, but the WR made a nice falling down catch, and that pretty much sealed the deal.

Suisham, kicking the ball out of bounds on a kickoff late in the game is inexcusable, and even when he does kick the ball well, our coverage just lets the kick returner get to midfield almost every time.

I know we had some turnovers, but we can't expect to NEVER have turnovers, and they shouldn't burn us against a team like the Rams. Against Philly or Dallas, yes I expect to lose if we turn the ball over three times.

Agreed about lack of pass rush, but in typical Redskins style, like the last couple years, the defense still keeps the other team out of the endzone. Discounting the gift TD our offense gave up, STL scored 12 points total, 4 field goals. I don't think this loss should be pinned on our defense AT ALL.

As much as I agree that we need to get more pressure, there isn't much more the defense can do when they only allow 12 points. You can say all you want about not allowing a clutch catch at the end of the game, but you aren't going to win very often in the NFL with 17 points. 7 of those were a gift from the defense.

Speaial teams kick coverage would look alot better with a kickoff to at least the goaline once and a while and a punt better than what I could do drunk in the parking lot at fedex. I think our coverage teams are fine when the kickers do their job correctly and effectively.

Our return coverage is horrible though, I have to agree with that. Lots of youth out there though so hopefully it gets better.

Archived