Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2009 nfl draft

Mister Mean

It's week six of the 2008 season and your talking about the 2009 draft? I could understand if we were 0-5 then the draft talk might make some sense. But this team is contending.

But to humor you, let's also take a look at some potential free agent OL and DL.

Offensive Line:

Stacy Andrews, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals (tackle)

Matt Birk, UFA, Minnesota Vikings (center)

Jordan Black, UFA, Houston Texans (tackle)

Vernon Carey, UFA, Miami Dolphins (tackle)

Marc Colombo, UFA, Dallas Cowboys (tackle)

George Foster, UFA, Detroit Lions (tackle)

Mike Goff, UFA, San Diego Chargers (guard) but will be entering his 12th season

Chris Gray, UFA, Seattle Seahawks (retired)

Jordan Gross, UFA, Carolina Panthers (tackle)

Pete Kendall, UFA, Washington Redskins (guard)

Seth McKinney, UFA, Cleveland Browns (guard)

Jon Runyan, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles (tackle) getting up there in age

Mark Tauscher, UFA, Green Bay Packers (tackle)

Tra Thomas, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles (tackle) getting up there in age

Fred Weary, UFA, Houston Texans (guard)

John Welbourn, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs (tackle)

Kirk Chambers UFA Buffalo Bills (tackle)

Duke Preston UFA Buffalo Bills (guard)

There's some talent there abeit a lot of it's getting long in the tooth.

Defensive Line:

Jonathan Babineaux, UFA, Atlanta Falcons (DT)

Bertrand Berry, UFA, Arizona Cardinals (DE)

Kevin Carter, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (DE)

Shaun Cody, UFA, Detroit Lions (DT)

Albert Haynesworth, UFA, Tennessee Titans (DT)

Tank Johnson, UFA, Dallas Cowboys (DT)

Julius Peppers, UFA, Carolina Panthers (DE)

Terrell Suggs, UFA, Baltimore Ravens (DE/LB)

John Thornton, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals (DT)

Marcus Tubbs, UFA, Seattle Seahawks (DT)

Victor Adeyanju RFA St Louis Rams (DE)

La’Roi Glover UFA St Louis Rams (DT)

Jerome McDougle UFA Philadelphia Eagles ( DE) but plays for Giants now

Might be something in one of these 4th year guys wanting to prove something but no big names that will cost you.

As for the draft, I do agree they need to draft the lines. Here's the list of top guards

Duke Robinson- Oklahoma

Herman Johnson- L.S.U.

Tyronne Green- Auburn

Kraig Urbik -Wisconsin

Andy Levitre -Oregon St

Personally, I like the kid from Wisconsin.

Top tackles

Michael Oher Ole Miss

Eugene Monroe Virginia

Jason Smith Baylor

there are more, but these are the tops in my opinion.

Can't say that I am to familiar with any defensive line prospects that would supplant our ends in the starting lineup. But adding to a depth rotation would be nice. The DT position will need a replacement for Griffin but I don't see this team being in the draft position to get that guy.

Jordan Gross would be a good pickup at tackle...I'm pretty sure he plays RT.

I've said it in the other draft threads but I wouldn't mind grabbing Phil Loadholt from the Sooners.

If we could get a good OLB with our 1st round pick that'd be awesome too

Don't know enough about Loadholt, but then again I have not heard anything bad either.

It's true the OL is getting up there and a youth infusion is needed, but it all depends.

I also like the OLB pick up in the draft to as Washington's effectiveness is most likely beginning to wane.

Odd thread to start considering how much fun the actual season is right now, but what the heck.

Positions I can't imagine we'll draft (unless it's a flier very late):

WR, TE, RB, QB, S, K, P

That leaves: OL, DL, LB, CB, FB

OL: I think Heyer, Samuels and Jansen are all back. Low priority, but they may want to take a project here and phase out Fabini. I could definitely see us taking a C/G in the 3rd round or so.

DL: Won't take an end too high as long as Taylor keeps his pledge to come back, and Evans continues playing well. If Jackson comes along and James shows something as he gets healthy, there's just no room on the roster. Inside, they could definitely bring a young guy into the mix with Griff getting older.

LB: Obvious need. Rocky's been awesome coming back from his injury, and Fletch just doesn't seem to age. But Marcus is in the twighlight. Love Blades, but would love even more to have a big, fast, traditional strong-side linebacker join the team.

CB: People were ready to give up on Springs a couple years ago, but he's been amazing for us. Can he keep it up? Can we afford to keep him? Haven't heard any talk of moving him to safety with the emergence of Horton. Still, you can never have too many corners, and i think we draft one whether Springs is back or not.

FB: Wouldn't mind seeing a traditional blocking fullback drafted as an understudy to Caveman Sellers.

Please draft defensive and offensive line help. Thats all we need!!!!!!!!!

Its not like LB and CB are much more of a need.

Both positions need to get younger. Smoot and Springs are pretty damn injury prone. Tryon and Torrence can't be next to Rogers forever.

And Washington has already begun his decline. A LB early wouldn't be a bad idea.

Erasmus James, Demetric Evans, Chris Wilson- some DECENT talent on the ends. Its not as high a priority as it used to be.

DT- Yeah, Monty seems to have regressed, and Griffin is getting older. This is also critical.

OL- Any time you can get your hands on a dominant interior lineman, you've done a great job.

Don't know enough about Loadholt, but then again I have not heard anything bad either.

It's true the OL is getting up there and a youth infusion is needed, but it all depends.

I also like the OLB pick up in the draft to as Washington's effectiveness is most likely beginning to wane.

Loadholt's a very solid tackle and he's a BIG dude. He's 6-8, 350 lbs. The only knock on him so far is the fact that he got a DUI so that could drop his draft stock.

Yeah as far as RT or OLB I imagine Zorn would get these guys and groom them to step in for Washington and Jansen/Heyer eventually.

We don't need immediate replacements but it would be a good idea to get some young guys in there learning the schemes for the future.

just hope we grab atleast one position from FA, i know tons of people have already stated it in previous threads but the CB from the raiders would be a great addition assuming he doenst resign with them. he also has experience at safety so down the road as he gets older it would be an easy transition. that would make the draft so much easier, DT OL and LB..Haynesworth might end up staying considering the titans are doing better unless they cant throw alot of money at them. We have some nice OL prospects but a beast center would be nice.

Not having a 2nd round pick is killer. We have the oldest offensive line in the league and we need to start thinking about finding a replacement for Randy Thomas. We need to find an interior pass rusher, someone to replace Cornelius Griffin. We need an outside linebacker to replace Marcus Washington and another corner to replace Shawn Springs. Ideally, the rooks will have a full year of riding the bench as the veterans continue to perform, but you never know. If Washington/Springs/Thomas suffer a season-ending injury at this moment, we wouldn't have sufficient depth across the board to adequately replace them.

My priority:

1) Pass-rushing DE/DT - someone who can effectively pass rush from the inside on 3rd down.

2) Offensive line - you can never have too many good offensive linemen. Look what happened to Jacksonville's line and how they have suffered for it. Joe Bugel won't be around forever to coach them up either.

3) Linebacker - Marcus Washington has seen the best of his days. Could add another viable pass rusher, something we really haven't had from the linebacker spot in a while

4) Cornerback - Our secondary has been phenomenal so far, but I would imagine that they won't all stay healthy/manage to play at such a high level for the next 27-odd games.

Drafting players in any other position I think would be a pretty big disappointment. Perhaps we will be able to sign one big-time free agent - Nnamdi Asomugah anyone?

As for the draft, I do agree they need to draft the lines. Here's the list of top guards

Duke Robinson- Oklahoma

Herman Johnson- L.S.U.

Tyronne Green- Auburn

Kraig Urbik -Wisconsin

Andy Levitre -Oregon St

Personally, I like the kid from Wisconsin.

A kid that would be a steal in the late rounds would be G Jeremy Perry (6'2 327lbs) from Oregon St. I know he's been out with injury this year and that raises major "red flags" but when healthy this kid is a force.

He plays with a tenacity that is impressive to say the least. Imagine Olin Kreutz as a guard (both are Hawaii natives). He would require a lot of coaching/counseling to minimize penalties but I personally like a mean streak in O-linemen.

:2cents:

A kid that would be a steal in the late rounds would be G Jeremy Perry (6'2 327lbs) from Oregon St. I know he's been out with injury this year and that raises major "red flags" but when healthy this kid is a force.

He plays with a tenacity that is impressive to say the least. Imagine Olin Kreutz as a guard (both are Hawaii natives). He would require a lot of coaching/counseling to minimize penalties but I personally like a mean streak in O-linemen.

:2cents:

I agree. Offensive linemen need that mean streak in them a bit.

I would like to see an OLB, OG, DT and CB picked up in the draft. Depending on free agency availability and cost, we could pick someone up there too. Ideally, picking up viable starters at nominal costs and allowing us to draft for depth and future starters. ( kinda like this years draft)

A trade down out of the 1st will be huge if we can find a dance partner, since we currently only have 4 picks. No 2nd (J. Taylor), no 4th (P. Kendall), and no 7th (E. James). That leaves us with a 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 6th.

If we can sign one top flight free agent, maybe a CB or LB, I think we can take care of our remaining needs in the draft. Of course, given that we've adopted a bpa motto, who knows.

I would prefer a trade down and out of the 1st to accumulate an extra pick or picks, but wouldn't be opposed to taking a big ugly DT in the 1st if we can't work a trade.

Would like to see us use at least one pick on an interior OL. Am also interested how K. Brown progresses this offseason.

No need trying to mock who we might take. Early bird might get the worm, but that bird never tried to do a mock draft in October.

we need a no1 cb, i agree we need to continue the rebuilding of the oline and dline but springs will be gone after this year .jenkins from ohio state would be nice but will probably be gone by the time we draft. i have my eye on the cb form the raiders opposite of d hall. if the raiders let him go then we have to be all over him like white on rice.as for you guys that have no real addition to make to a thread except comments about the search function and so on. please do us all a big favor and grow up, get over it and live by the old saying, if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all. your comments are lame and childish. do you bang erasers in your room all day.this nit picking crap is really juvinile.sorry to the rest of you gentlemen.

Where is K. Brown now

I know he got hurt and cut, but I thought he had a lot of upside

we picked him back up and put in on IR, which leads me to believe we are very interested in this kid..however he isnt practicing so hopefully hes atleast working out.

"I would prefer a trade down and out of the 1st to accumulate an extra pick or picks ..."

What's that going to net the Skins, Morph, after we get the last pick in the draft? We're going all the way, baby!!! LOL

On a more serious note, I'm all for getting the best player on the board, regardless of need, hoping that pick results in improvement for the team in some way. However, since this is a wish thread, I also believe CB is the greatest need (gonna have to spend a high rounder for the best athletes at that position). Follow that up with DL and OL players (not necessarily in that order)--this may sound somewhat contradictory, but I also believe in building from the lines out.

Archived