Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BIG Man Sets in the Red Zorn!

coldpacker

I love Moss and El just as much as the next guy. But their size makes JC a tad bit hesitant in the red zone. We need size and strength!

On a few red zone occasions (even last year) Campbell looked off Moss and El and had to continue w/ 'broken play'. They were still able to get open and Campbell was still able to find them. A good example would be the jump ball route to Moss which he landed out of bounds.. When Campbell released it, I thought it'd be a sure INT if the defender turned around.. Why not use Fred Davis, Cooley, Thomas and (when he's injure free) Kelly? Moss can be put on the other side as a decoy..

I try to relate my thinking to the Saints. When they have Colston in there.. They simply run a quick slant and Brees can place the ball virtually anywhere and Colston can snatch it.. They make it look so easy.

I feel w/ the correct size and strength our red zone efficiency would drastically improve. W/ increased red zone efficiency would yield a much more Confident QB.

Kelly and Davis would obviousley provide a boost in our red zone efficiency. However, I have to have faith in the coach's decision not to use them yet. Their time will come, but they have to be comfortable in this offense. If Jason changes a play at the line of scrimmage and they run the wrong route, it could lead to a sack or even worse, a turnover. So, why mess with chemistry. I will take a fieldgoal any day over a turnover.

If Kelly can stay healthy for the game I would expect to see him in on at least one play in the redzorn. Maybe he can capitalize on it. We would probably see him and Thomas in there at the same time.

I wana see a trips bunch with Moss, Kelly, and Thomas. They could get Moss open or get open themselves and get the 6.

By the way I like redzorn better than redzone, especially if we start scoring there more often.

Damn dude what is up with the over analyzing? If Moss and EL gets open in the end zone (and they have done a good job of that this season), they will get the ball. It is as simple as that.

:doh:

Its harder to get open when you're a smaller receiver.

How in the world is that over analyzing? Have you ever heard the term "red zone threat"? Big pass catching TEs and tall receivers are the guys that QBs go to when they're passing in the red-zone, the WR can use his body to shield the CB or simply get higher than the smaller defender to catch a pass.

Thomas, Kelley, & Davis were drafted for this Offense. Needless to say, Vinnie's picks are going like gangbusters! Besides, when I last checked, didn't Randal-El scord a redzone TD in God's outhouse this past weekend?

Yes, you are correct about everything here. I also remember hearing Zorn say that Randle El was going to get a lot of looks in this offense. Hell, even Thrash caught a TD in the red zone of "God's Outhouse".

:doh:

Its harder to get open when you're a smaller receiver.

How in the world is that over analyzing? Have you ever heard the term "red zone threat"? Big pass catching TEs and tall receivers are the guys that QBs go to when they're passing in the red-zone, the WR can use his body to shield the CB or simply get higher than the smaller defender to catch a pass.

exactly. well put.

short WRs have to fight to get open in the red zone, and if they do, theres a window if opportunity to get the ball to them. but the big bodied WRs, you just throw it to them whether they are open or not and they can shield the ball or outjump the defender.

Damn dude what is up with the over analyzing? If Moss and EL gets open in the end zone (and they have done a good job of that this season), they will get the ball. It is as simple as that.

i think the issue is the fact that they can't get open as quickly in the redzone as a big body receiver. it's not their fault, they get open on their route b/c they can get in and out of their breaks fast and cause seperation. down in the red zone though, there isn't seperation to be created. that's why we settled for 2 or 3 fg's down there last week.

it's not a concern when we win the game, but if we had lost that game last week, we would have been complaining about lost points in the redzone, and one of the reasons for that is the wide out's size.

Archived