Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about writing samples when applying for a job

WVUforREDSKINS

What do you all send in for a writing sample?

I've heard it can be anything. What do you usually make it about? I have been using papers I wrote in college, but I don't know if that is the best way to go about it.

I don't write about why I should have the job because that is what my cover letter is for.

I have been applying to be a legislative correspondent or staff assistant on Capitol Hill. I've been trying for about 8 months to get my foot in the door.

I've managed to get three interviews (one of which was with Joe Biden although I probably would be out of a job as fast as I got it) but its just extremely hard to get your foot in the door. I've had an internship and have a great letter of recommendation so I don't know what else I can do in order to improve my chances of getting an interview.

Anyway, im thinking that maybe im not using the best writing samples. What do you all use?

I've some people tell me they write about how much they like ice cream, talk about themselves, etc

Based on my experience, which is not on the hill, you want your sample to be 10 pages or less. It needs to be something that can be read relatively quickly, and stands on its own. If you are a recent college grad, a short, tight, well written paper should suffice. If you have some work experience under your belt, then maybe something like a press release or memo that you've worked on.

Thanks.

Do you think the topic really matters? I've been sending in a paper about the lives of women in Iran. (10 pages) Its kinda long but I assume that if they get tired of reading it they don't have to keep going and will get a sense of how I write.

One would hope. But, the more relevant the better. You can also ask them what would be an appropriate writing sample, or offer them a few different things and see what they would prefer to receive, or ask what kind of things recent graduates typically submit.

Archived