Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NASCAR News, New Hampshire weekend, Chase race #1

SkinsBry

Qualifying was rained out, line up based on owner's points.

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2008/27/data/lineup.html

POS CAR DRIVER MAKE SPONSOR SPEED TIME BEHIND

1 18 Kyle Busch Toyota M&M's N/A N/A N/A

2 99 Carl Edwards Ford Office Depot N/A N/A N/A

3 48 Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet Lowe's N/A N/A N/A

4 88 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Chevrolet AMP Energy / National Guard N/A N/A N/A

5 07 Clint Bowyer Chevrolet Jack Daniel's N/A N/A N/A

6 11 Denny Hamlin Toyota FedEx Express N/A N/A N/A

7 31 Jeff Burton Chevrolet AT&T Mobility N/A N/A N/A

8 20 Tony Stewart Toyota The Home Depot N/A N/A N/A

9 16 Greg Biffle Ford DISH Network Turbo HD N/A N/A N/A

10 24 Jeff Gordon Chevrolet DuPont N/A N/A N/A

11 29 Kevin Harvick Chevrolet Shell / Pennzoil N/A N/A N/A

12 17 Matt Kenseth Ford Carhartt N/A N/A N/A

13 9 Kasey Kahne Dodge Budweiser N/A N/A N/A

14 6 David Ragan Ford AAA Insurance N/A N/A N/A

15 8 Aric Almirola Chevrolet U.S. Army N/A N/A N/A

16 83 Brian Vickers Toyota Red Bull N/A N/A N/A

17 12 Ryan Newman Dodge Kodak N/A N/A N/A

18 1 Martin Truex Jr. Chevrolet Bass Pro Shops / Tracker N/A N/A N/A

19 26 Jamie McMurray Ford Crown Royal N/A N/A N/A

20 2 Kurt Busch Dodge Miller Lite N/A N/A N/A

21 43 Bobby Labonte Dodge Cheerios / Betty Crocker N/A N/A N/A

22 42 Juan Montoya Dodge Juicy Fruit Slim Pack N/A N/A N/A

23 19 Elliott Sadler Dodge Stanley Tools N/A N/A N/A

24 28 Travis Kvapil Ford Valvoline N/A N/A N/A

25 5 Casey Mears Chevrolet CARQUEST / Kellogg's N/A N/A N/A

26 38 David Gilliland Ford Ford. Drive one. N/A N/A N/A

27 44 David Reutimann Toyota UPS N/A N/A N/A

28 15 Paul Menard Chevrolet Sylvania / Menards N/A N/A N/A

29 01 Regan Smith* Chevrolet DEI / Principal Financial Group N/A N/A N/A

30 41 Reed Sorenson Dodge Target N/A N/A N/A

31 22 Dave Blaney Toyota Caterpillar N/A N/A N/A

32 55 Michael Waltrip Toyota NAPA AUTO PARTS N/A N/A N/A

33 66 Scott Riggs Chevrolet Haas Automation N/A N/A N/A

34 84 A.J. Allmendinger Toyota Red Bull N/A N/A N/A

35 00 Michael McDowell* Toyota Champion Mortgage N/A N/A N/A

36 77 Sam Hornish Jr.* Dodge Mobil 1 N/A N/A N/A

37 21 Bill Elliott Ford Motorcraft N/A N/A N/A

38 7 Robby Gordon Dodge Jim Beam / Operation Homefront N/A N/A N/A

39 10 Patrick Carpentier* Dodge Berlin City Auto Group N/A N/A N/A

40 96 Joey Logano Toyota The Home Depot / DLP HDTV N/A N/A N/A

41 45 Chad McCumbee Dodge Marathon American Spirit Motor Oil N/A N/A N/A

42 78 Joe Nemechek Chevrolet Furniture Row/DenverMattress.com N/A N/A N/A

43 70 Johnny Sauter Chevrolet Haas Automation N/A N/A N/A

Did Not Qualify

44 34 Tony Raines Chevrolet Front Row Motorsports - - -

45 146 Carl Long Dodge Romeo Guest Construction - - -

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/09/12/dragan.ups.sponsor/index.html

UPS signs multi-year deal to sponsor 6 car, Ragan

By Sporting News Wire Service

September 12, 2008

05:43 PM EDT

LOUDON, N.H. -- United Parcel Service has signed a three-year deal to sponsor David Ragan in the No. 6 Roush Fenway Racing Ford, starting in 2009, UPS director of sponsorship Ron Rogowski announced Friday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

"It's a bit more pressure, but I'm pretty sure we can handle it," Ragan, 22, said of the agreement, which will cover all 36 Sprint Cup points races.

Ragan, who was 14th in the Cup championship standings after 26 races and narrowly missed the Chase for the Sprint Cup in his second full season at NASCAR's highest level, hasn't won a Cup race yet, but he feels as if the announcement of the deal already has given his team a boost.

"This has been a big week for us," Ragan said. "Barely missing the Chase at Richmond certainly was a disappointment, but I think that [the UPS announcement] gives us a little more drive starting here this weekend at New Hampshire to put our best foot forward. ...

Click link for the rest.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/truck/09/12/rhornaday.drug.policy.ap/index.html

NASCAR will not punish Hornaday for steroid use

By Jenna Fryer, The Associated Press

September 12, 2008

07:35 PM EDT

LOUDON, N.H. -- NASCAR is expected to soon complete a tougher drug policy, but the new language would not likely change how the sanctioning body handled Ron Hornaday's admission to using testosterone.

Hornaday told ESPN The Magazine earlier this week that he used a testosterone cream during 2004 and 2005 to treat a medical issue. NASCAR met with the reigning Truck Series champion on Friday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway and found no reason to punish Hornaday for the admission.

Hornaday also revealed he has Graves' disease, a condition he is now treating with Synthroid, which replaces a hormone normally produced by the thyroid gland to regulate the body's energy and metabolism.

"We don't see where Ron did anything wrong," NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said. "Our substance abuse experts have told us the prescription Ron Hornaday used did not enhance his performance or impair his judgment. It is our understanding Ron had a very serious health issue, which is continuing to be addressed."

Click link for the rest.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/09/12/tstewart.gzipadelli.new.hampshire/index.html

Relationship as it's always been for Stewart, Zipadelli

Bits of radio conversation often give wrong impressions

By David Caraviello, NASCAR.COM

September 12, 2008

09:34 PM EDT

LOUDON, N .H. -- Greg Zipadelli spent four hours Monday poring over the videotape. He went over pit stops, examined his team's pit times, looked at everything that might have cost the No. 20 car those precious fractions of a second that can mean the difference between victory and defeat.

And what did he find? No obvious mistakes, certainly nothing that merited the over-the-radio chewing out that driver Tony Stewart delivered after last Sunday's storm-delayed event at Richmond International Raceway. The car of Kevin Harvick, being serviced in the stall directly ahead of them, might have blocked them in a bit, forced Stewart to exit at a sharper angle, and given Jimmie Johnson the opening he needed to win the race. If there's anywhere they lost time, the crew chief surmised, that might have been it.

"We were both frustrated that we didn't win," Zipadelli said Friday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, "but I'm not going to tear my team apart over something that was a marginal call as to whether or not my team had a good pit stop."

He didn't have to. Stewart did it for him, saying "we gave another one away today" over the team radio on the cool-down lap. Zipadelli wasn't in the mood to hear it. "Great attitude there, Smoke," he retorted, using his driver's nickname. "... Remember, we win and lose as a team. It was a great effort, OK? Enough of that crap."

Click link for the rest.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/09/12/jlogano.debut.new.hampshire/index.html

With change to 96, there's no rain on Logano's parade

Debut delayed a week, but teen will start 40th at NHMS

By Dave Rodman, NASCAR.COM

September 12, 2008

11:29 PM EDT

LOUDON, N.H. -- As rain rudely assaulted New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Friday, a handful of numeric decals and a bill of sale made all the difference for Sprint Cup newcomer Joey Logano.

About 45 seconds after NASCAR announced that, for the second consecutive Friday, Sprint Cup qualifying was canceled, a writer in the media center hollered at a NASCAR official, "Is Logano in?"

Logano, 18, will make his Sprint Cup debut Sunday in the Chase for the Sprint Cup playoff opener, the Sylvania 300, because Hall of Fame Racing's No. 96 Toyota satisfies the rule book's parameters for a rainout lineup; whereas last weekend at Richmond International Raceway, the Joe Gibbs Racing No. 02 Toyota that was entered for Logano did not.

"It's nice to be in the 96 now and I can at least be in the race," Logano said. "If we would have come back here with the 02 then we would have been going home again. Thank goodness we're not and finally we can get it in here."

Hall of Fame originally entered the veteran Ken Schrader in its car for New Hampshire and JGR entered the 02 for Logano, but on Wednesday, JGR dropped the 02 and HOF put Logano in the 96. Thus Logano, who swept both Camping World East division races here last year including the the June event from the pole, will make his third start at the "Magic Mile" from 40th.

After turning only the 38th-best lap in practice earlier Friday, before the rain came, Logano wasn't sure what to feel after the rainout announcement was made.

"I'm not sure that it's a relief -- it is what it is, you know -- I'm in," Logano said. "I don't think it relieves any pressure from me -- it's what we got. It's kind of good. We'll put everything back in race trim and change a lot of stuff for [saturday]."

Click on link for the rest and a pic of his ride.

Race info from Jayski.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#race

Some news from Jayski.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#f1

F1 McLaren boss to head to NASCAR: Steve Hallam, McLaren's head of race operations, is to leave the team at the end of this year to move to NASCAR. Hallam joined McLaren in 1990 after almost a decade at Lotus, where he race engineered for Nigel Mansell and Ayrton Senna. Having helped engineer Mika Hakkinen to world title success with McLaren in 1998 and 1999, Hallam moved to a more senior role within the team's race engineering department. McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh has paid tribute to Hallam's contribution to the team. "Since joining us in 1990, Steve has become a senior member of our track operations team, doing a fantastic job," explained Whitmarsh. "He informed us of his decision to leave some time ago but, since he is totally professional, it goes without saying that we are entirely comfortable with his continuing his work with us until the end of the season. Next year we will all miss him greatly, but we nonetheless wish him all the very best in his new adventure." Hallam is to take up a senior position in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

Army to Newman? sources said Army is close to finalizing a deal to be a partial co-sponsor of Ryan Newman's [#39 Chevy] car at Stewart-Haas Racing in 2009.(ESPN.com)

New spotter for Stewart: According to The Home Depot pre-race report Mike Calinoff (Ganassi #40) is listed as the spotter for #20-Tony Stewart. (True Speed Communication), regular spotter, Mark Robertson, will spot for Joey Logano at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, who will drive the #96 Hall of Fame - Home Depot Toyota there.

Allmendinger talks about his future: from #84-A.J. Allmendinger's column at Yahoo: "As far as my contract situation for next year, there’s no new news. Hopefully I’ll know something next week. But not knowing anything is hard. It’s stressful. You know, I just want an answer. Am I going to be back with Red Bull next year, yes or no? Of course I’d like it to be yes and they’d like me to stay and we have a great rest of the season and prepare for 2009. I love everybody at the shop and it’s hard because they’re asking me questions. They want to know what’s up, and I don’t have an answer for them. I mean, I really don’t have an answer. I’ve had conversations with other teams since August – and there were some good rides available – but I truly believe we have something here with Red Bull, so I don’t want to leave. We’ve been through a lot together as a team and I’ve been through a lot just to learn. I’ve had people tell me, ‘You suck. You shouldn’t be here,’ and I’ve had other people say, ‘Keep working. We know you got the talent.’ And I’ve fought through all that and in my opinion I think I deserve to be in the car. But right now, realistically, I think it’s about 50-50 at best that I’ll be back at Red Bull next year.(Yahoo Sports), hearing that Allmendinger is a candidate for the #41 Ganassi Racing ride.

http://www.jayski.com/stats/2009/bud2009.htm

Mixed Reactions to Bud Shootout Changes: How do drivers feel about the decision to change the rules governing next year's season-opening Budweiser Shootout exhibition race at Daytona International Speedway? Well, it depends whether you're in or out. Michael Waltrip, who finished 11th in the 2008 Shootout, would have needed to win a pole in the last 12 races to make the field in 2009 under the current rules. Instead, with the decision to include six teams from each of the four manufacturers, there's an excellent chance for two of Waltrip's team cars to make the field next February. Carl Edwards, who missed the 2007 edition because he failed to win a pole the previous year, thought he secured a spot with his run last week at Bristol. It turns out that he's one of five Roush Fenway Racing drivers who will represent Ford in the 2009 Shootout. Edwards is in favor of the new rule. On the other hand, 2008 pole-winners Paul Menard and Joe Nemechek find themselves on the outside looking in. For Nemechek's Furniture Row Racing team, the change was a huge blow. Nemechek said someone like Boris Said, who only runs a limited schedule, no longer gets additional benefit from winning a pole.

AND: Ryan Newman says it does seem odd that Daytona International Speedway executives don't want the defending Daytona 500 winner in their season-opening Bud Shootout next spring. Since Newman and new teammate Tony Stewart will be leaving their current teams at the end of this year and driving next year for a new team, they both will be ineligible for the Shootout. Ironic, since the Daytona 500 this year was Stewart-versus-Newman. Adding more irony: Joey Logano, who has yet even to run a Cup race, will be in the Shootout, in Stewart's Toyota. And even more irony: David Stremme, who will likely be taking Newman's ride with Roger Penske, would be in the Shootout instead of Newman. Stremme, whose only Cup run this year was at Talladega in April, where he finished 28th, has never won a Cup event. Newman has 13 career wins. "The new Shootout doesn't seem to be about drivers, but about manufacturers," Newman says. "It's a changed race all the way around.

AND: #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. said he has no problem with the changes in the qualifying rules, but he has a big problem with a long final segment. "Fifty laps is forever on that track," Earnhardt said. "It would be a lot more exciting for the fans and a lot more fun for us if we only did 10 laps at the end." #11-Denny Hamlin, who won the race as a rookie in 2006, said he agrees with Earnhardt. "Only racing 10 laps at the end would be way better," Hamlin said. "The tires go away pretty fast at Daytona, but they still would have a lot of grip for just 10 or 15 laps. We could really go all out and the racing would be a lot closer."

Budweiser Shootout format/rules announced UPDATE: The 2009 Budweiser Shootout will see changes in driver eligibility and race format. Officials from Daytona International Speedway, NASCAR and Anheuser-Busch will outline the changes in a press conference today. Since the race started in 1979, the field has been restricted to pole-sitters from the previous season and past event winners. With the Coors beer brand now sponsoring NASCAR's pole awards, Budweiser wanted to change the eligibility requirements for the Shootout. The Shootout will remain an invitation-only, non-points, sprint event but will see several tweaks.

UPDATE: The 2009 Budweiser Shootout at Daytona will have a new format that puts more emphasis on the series’ four manufacturers – and the same star-power appeal that has become a season-opening tradition for the Sprint Cup Series and its fans. The 31st annual season-opening event at Daytona International Speedway will be held on Saturday night, Feb. 7, with a field of 24 cars representing the top teams from Chevy, Dodge, Ford and Toyota that will showcase the close competition in NASCAR’s premier series. That lineup will consist of the top six teams from each manufacturer, based on the final 2008 car owner points [NOT driver points]. The race distance will be increased from 70 laps to 75 (187.5 miles) on the 2.5-mile tri-oval. The race will have two segments, of 25 and 50 laps. Both green- and yellow-flag laps will count. Between segments, there will be a 10-minute pit stop at which time teams will pit and may elect to change tires, add fuel and make normal chassis adjustments. Crews will be permitted to work on cars and will be allowed to perform functions they would do on a normal pit stop in a regular Sprint Cup event. All work must be performed on pit road or in the garage. Changing of springs, shock absorbers or rear-ends will not be permitted. Starting positions will again be determined by a blind draw, at the annual Budweiser Shootout Draw Party on Thursday night, Feb. 5, on the SPEED stage in the Midway, outside Turn 4. The Budweiser Shootout – a “non-points” event for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series competitors – was first held in 1979, and originally known as the Busch Clash. Dale Earnhardt Jr. won this year’s shootout.

as things stand after Bristol, these are the 24 drivers

(based on current CAR OWNER points)

Chevy: #88-Earnhardt Jr, #48-Johnson, #31-Burton, #29-Harvick, #24-Gordon, #07-Mears

Dodge: #9-Kahne, #12-Penske Racing, #2-Busch, #19-Sadler, #42-Montoya, #43-Labonte

Ford: #99-Edwards, #16-Biffle, #17-Kenseth, #6-Ragan, #26-McMurray, #28-Kvapil?

Toyota: #18-Busch, #20-Logano, #11-Hamlin, #83-Vickers, #44-Waltrip Racing, #55-Waltrip.

So no #14-Stewart, #39-Newman, #33-Bowyer?

smoke needs to man up and stop ****ing like a kid. that **** he did on the radio last week was total weaksauce and I am glad Zippy checked him on the radio in front of all the racing world. Smoke is probably the most talented if not one of the top 3 best drivers out there, the man can drive anything and win, but he is a punk. you dont deal with "family" issues out in public.

and yes, i still want to get rid of tony jr...

Thanks for the thread Bryan. :cheers:

Anyone seen Ken? Hope he's OK.

Man, what a great deal for Ragan. UPS is arguably the best sponsor in the sport. After nearly making the Chase this year, I'd look for that team to win a race, or maybe two, next year and make some serious noise.

smoke needs to man up and stop ****ing like a kid. that **** he did on the radio last week was total weaksauce and I am glad Zippy checked him on the radio in front of all the racing world. Smoke is probably the most talented if not one of the top 3 best drivers out there, the man can drive anything and win, but he is a punk. you dont deal with "family" issues out in public.

and yes, i still want to get rid of tony jr...

Tony Jr is what keeps JR from going off the deep end. All drivers get pissed like Smoke did. Zippy fired back like Tony Jr would, to keep his driver in check. The grass is always greener..

Thanks for the thread Bryan. :cheers:

Anyone seen Ken? Hope he's OK.

Man, what a great deal for Ragan. UPS is arguably the best sponsor in the sport. After nearly making the Chase this year, I'd look for that team to win a race, or maybe two, next year and make some serious noise.

I talked to Ken on Thursday and he was fine then.

Tony Jr is what keeps JR from going off the deep end. All drivers get pissed like Smoke did. Zippy fired back like Tony Jr would, to keep his driver in check. The grass is always greener..

oh it has nothing to do with tony's personality or anything like that. i just dont like that when my driver comes in to the pits in 4th and leaves in 11th that we arent holding the crew chief responsible.

and its not just one incident, its a lot of them.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/55633-nationwide-car-of-tomorrow-spotted

Nationwide Car of Tomorrow Spotted

by Tom Giannini

September 09, 2008

After months of waiting and speculation, we finally get our first glimpse at the Nationwide Car of Tomorrow.

The current Nationwide Series car has a 105-inch wheelbase, but this new car will have a 110-inch wheelbase, the same as the current Sprint Cup Series car.

All of the safety advancements integrated in the new Sprint Cup Series car will also be in the Nationwide car, and they have been well received.

Following wrecks such as Michael McDowell's at Texas or Jeff Gordon's at Las Vegas, the new safety advancements have already proven their effectiveness in keeping a driver safe.

There were cars at the test from each of the four manufacturers: Dodge bringing what looks like a Challenger; Chevy testing a car that looks like their new Malibu; Ford taking what looks like the new Taurus; and Toyota looks as if they are keeping the Camry.

The new car has been well received by drivers.

"It feels a lot like the car we're racing now. Compared to when we first ran the Car of Tomorrow in the Cup series, this is a lot smaller change for us to go to this car," said Carl Edwards after finishing up his test session.

Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition, has not singled out a date to implement the new car but is looking for it to be used in 2010.

Click on the link for a pic. Freakin' sweet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/truck/news/story?id=3573077

Teams can choose to run Dodges in 2009, but will receive no financial support

By John Schwarb

JOLIET, Ill. -- The struggles in the U.S. automobile sales market are trickling down to racing, with the latest blow coming to the Craftsman Truck Series. Dodge will not provide any financial support to any teams in the series in 2009, Dodge Motorsports senior manager Mike Delahanty said.

"We'll have no factory-funded teams," Delahanty told ESPN.com. "When times are tough, there are certain things that are lower on the priority list than others."

Delahanty said the manufacturer's involvement with the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series is unaffected.

Dodge had been a powerhouse in the Truck Series earlier this decade, winning 46 of 99 races from 2001-04 and championships with drivers Bobby Hamilton in 2004 and Ted Musgrave in 2005

In recent years Dodge has scaled back its involvement, with only Bobby Hamilton Racing-Virginia receiving money from the manufacturer this season. The team ran two trucks for the first 16 races of this season but parked one prior to Saturday's race at Gateway, as financial constraints forced the team to lay off 15 employees and scale back operations to one team.

Dodge informed the team that its factory support would end this season, and BHR-VA has talked to Chevrolet, Ford and Toyota about a switch for 2009.

There are only two full-time Dodges currently in the Truck Series, the BHR-VA No. 18, driven by Dennis Setzer, and the No. 08 of SS Racing/Greenlight Racing, driven by Jason White. The No. 08 has not received any financial assistance from Dodge this year. Other Dodge trucks have raced on a part-time basis without funding, and that could continue next year.

Click on link for the rest.

oh it has nothing to do with tony's personality or anything like that. i just dont like that when my driver comes in to the pits in 4th and leaves in 11th that we arent holding the crew chief responsible.

and its not just one incident, its a lot of them.

I hear what you're saying Mike, really, but Carl's been losing spots on pit road all year; and I wouldn't trade Osborne for anybody.

It's damned frustrating though to lose spots consistently. (So long as you're not blaming him for not predicting when the caution was gonna fly; like at the Glen.)

I hear what you're saying Mike, really, but Carl's been losing spots on pit road all year; and I wouldn't trade Osborne for anybody.

It's damned frustrating though to lose spots consistently. (So long as you're not blaming him for not predicting when the caution was gonna fly; like at the Glen.)

yeah but Ford fans are used to be losers. :silly:

Chevy fans demand higher standards..OLS

TV Listings for Loudon weekend - all times are EDT

Sat Sept 13

2:00 am NASCAR Now ESPN2

9:00 am NSCS New Hampshire Practice ESPN2

10:00 am NCTS New Hampshire Qualifying SPEED

2:30 pm Dale Jr. Shifting Gears ESPNC

2:30 pm NCTS Set-Up SPEED

3:00 pm NCTS Race: New Hampshire SPEED

3:30 pm Dale Jr. Shifting Gears ESPNC

5:00 pm Dale Jr. Shifting Gears ESPNC

6:00 pm NSCS New Hampshire Final Practice (SDD) ESPN2

6:00 pm Dale Jr. Shifting Gears ESPNC

7:00 pm Dale Jr. Shifting Gears ESPNC

7:30 pm NASCAR Performance SPEED

8:00 pm Tradin' Paint SPEED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Sept 14

2:00 am NCTS Set-Up SPEED

2:30 am NCTS Race: New Hampshire SPEED

10:00 am NASCAR Performance SPEED

10:30 am NASCAR in a Hurry SPEED

11:00 am NASCAR RaceDay SPEED

1:00 pm NSCS Countdown ABC

2:00 pm NSCS: Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire ABC

7:00 pm SPEED Report SPEED

8:00 pm NASCAR Victory Lane SPEED

9:00 pm Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain SPEED

10:00 pm NASCAR Now ESPN2