Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Five Principles of the West Coast Offense

KDawg

Tom Brady had a much higher completion percentage when operating from the shotgun than he did under center. So did all but a handful of QBs in 2006, including Mark Brunell. The spread is QB friendly.

Shocker! Brady does better out of a passing formation than he does out of a standard set. I guess that means the key is to just put any QB with the requisite NFL QB physical talent in the shotgun spread, and he'll just light up the opposing defense.

I think the biggest advantage right now is that defenses haven't had 75 years to learn to defense it as they have the play-action game with the QB under center.

To some extent, perhaps, but the shotgun spread formation has been around a long time. Defenses can stop guys like Grossman and Boller running a spread because you can count on them to make mistakes. It's hard to defend against Brady or Manning because they rarely make mistakes. They could probably be successful running any system.

If you have an excellent player at QB, then the shotgun spread base is certainly a viable alternative to get the most out of his ability - I'm actually of a mind that we may see this from Zorn if he gets a QB with which he is comfortable. A coach has to play to the strengths of his team. If he has an outstanding RB, but just a so-so QB, do you think he runs the shotgun spread base that highlights his QB, or do you suppose he runs an offense more suited to getting the most out of his RB?

Shocker! Brady does better out of a passing formation than he does out of a standard set. I guess that means the key is to just put any QB with the requisite NFL QB physical talent in the shotgun spread, and he'll just light up the opposing defense.

I checked the Pro football Prospectus for the stats. 21 of the 26 QBs measured in 2006 were better in the shotgun than under center. Daunte Culpepper, Vince Young, Chad Pennington, Drew Brees, Joey Harrington and Brad Johnson benefitted most.

A coach has to play to the strengths of his team. If he has an outstanding RB, but just a so-so QB, do you think he runs the shotgun spread base that highlights his QB, or do you suppose he runs an offense more suited to getting the most out of his RB?

If the coach has a team like the Vikes, with a good O line and good RBs, then you don't go with the spread. However, let's remember that the Vikes were built that way. It didn't just happen. I'd rather build a team for the spread.

Let's use the Skins as a more realistic example. Our O line isn't good enough and our RB isn't good enough to build around. Portis and Betts will be just as effective and perhaps more effective running swings and screens in a spread as they are pounding off tackle.

Hey...your living out my dream! (I want to be a football coach when I get out of college)

I am not so sure how much of this is correct though...I am sure you did your research...but Al Saunders offence was a "timing" offence, EVERYTHING I heard has said that West coast isn't like that. I guess every offence to a certain extent requires timing and good chemistry between the quarterback and recievers...

I don't know what you've read, but whatever it was sure as hell didn't know what they were talking about. The WCO is a timing offense. Period.

The quarterback takes his drop (either a 3, 5, or 7) plants his feet and throws. It's essential that the receivers be in the correct place in their route at exactly the same time that the quarterback plants his foot and throws the football. Combo routes are designed on timing as well. If one receiver is too early or too late with a clearing route, a defensive player can be in position to make a play fairly easily.

Al Saunders offense was much different. They start off throwing the vertical pass with Saunders. It's a very balanced attack has plenty of pre motion shifting (WCO does as well), plenty of personnel groupings (WCO does, but to a much less extent), shifts and movement is heavier in Saunders offense as well.

One of the biggest differences is volume. Saunders has between 250 and 300 plays in his arsenel EVERY week.

It's also NOT a ball control offense. It's a strike and strike fast and often offense. It's actually VERY different than the WCO.

KDawg, when you say "timing" I think you and Adam are talking about different things.

You are talking about the timing of the WCO being based on the QB throwing in rhytym.

The Coryell scheme was based on the ideas of Sid Gillman who preached that "If you wait until the receiver is open, it's already too late." Todd Collins remarked last year, that thowing to the spot before the receiver came open was the hardest thing for him to pick up.

KDawg, when you say "timing" I think you and Adam are talking about different things.

You are talking about the timing of the WCO being based on the QB throwing in rhytym.

The Coryell scheme was based on the ideas of Sid Gillman who preached that "If you wait until the receiver is open, it's already too late." Todd Collins remarked last year, that thowing to the spot before the receiver came open was the hardest thing for him to pick up.

You're correct. Gillman never wanted anyone to throw to a receiver when they were becoming open, but rather before they came open. I guess I don't view that as "timing", although, for all intents and purposes, it is. I view that as more of a "spot" offense. But apples to oranges there, I suppose :)

I've got a few guestions:

How wide are your line splits from center to guard and guard to tackle?

Standard is whatever YOU want them to be. I usually use 2 feet center to guard, 3 feet guard to tackle, 3 feet tackle to tight end.

Receiver splits would be minimum of 3, normal of around 8, max at around 10 depending on where you are (Hash or center or the field) :)

Are you going to run out of the shotgun any?

It would depend on my quarterback. But yes, more than likely.

How do you plan to stop the blitz's especially from the backside?

Tight end staying in to block, fullback blocking, halfback blocking, mix it up, have all three, use 2 to block :). Hot routes. Most importantly: Getting rid of the football.

Tight end staying in to block, fullback blocking, halfback blocking, mix it up, have all three, use 2 to block :). Hot routes. Most importantly: Getting rid of the football.

zone block it, and have the rb pick up the backside. zone blocking is especially great for play action, because you can have the exact same look, making it harder to key on your lineman to determine pass or run. a zone block is the same at the LOS for run or pass....your lineman just won't peel off and get to the 2nd level.

zone block it, and have the rb pick up the backside. zone blocking is especially great for play action, because you can have the exact same look, making it harder to key on your lineman to determine pass or run. zone pass block is the same at the LOS for run or pass....your lineman just won't peel off and get to the 2nd level.

Which, in a passing scheme, I wouldn't want them to do :)

Yeah. As of now my pass protection scheme in our current system is a zone scheme. Block the guy that comes to your area. Only difference is, right now we're using the fullback to the strength, which I'm not keen on.

Excellent points though, Major. Thanks!

Which, in a passing scheme, I wouldn't want them to do :)

yeah, i know. i didn't feel the need to point out the obvious. :)

Yeah. As of now my pass protection scheme in our current system is a zone scheme. Block the guy that comes to your area. Only difference is, right now we're using the fullback to the strength, which I'm not keen on.

Excellent points though, Major. Thanks!

use the fullback to the weak side. especially if you're using the i-formation. the best way to beat the i is to key on the fullback and beat the hell out of him. 9 times out of 10, in the i formation the ball goes where the fullback goes, so it's easy to key on him, and if you manhandle the fullback at the POA, you kill the i. taking him backside helps alleviate that.

I've been toying with the idea of a slide protection scheme, using the backs to chip off backside into their routes on some plays. I'm not sure how well that would go over though, seeing how the back that chips would often times have to stay on their block. It would, however, be good for hot read dumpoffs to your back if the defender that's covering them is on the blitz.

You're correct. Gillman never wanted anyone to throw to a receiver when they were becoming open, but rather before they came open. I guess I don't view that as "timing", although, for all intents and purposes, it is. I view that as more of a "spot" offense. But apples to oranges there, I suppose :)

So this would be considered throwing to an area and having the receivers make the play?

Yeah. As of now my pass protection scheme in our current system is a zone scheme. Block the guy that comes to your area. [quote

I'm not a big fan of Zone blocking at the High school level. It creates indecision in the offensive linemen. Indecision is the worst thing that can happen to an offensive player.

I'm not a big fan of Zone blocking at the High school level. It creates indecision in the offensive linemen. Indecision is the worst thing that can happen to an offensive player.

it's more because it's something that has never been taught to them. since day 1 of pop warner, you line up, find your target and go hit him. zone isn't like that. it's just different, and it takes a lot of time. but it definitely can work.

The offense uses a specific naming system, with the routes for wide receivers and tight ends receiving three digit numbers, and routes for backs having unique names. For example, a pass play in 3 digit form might be "Split Right 787 check swing, check V". (see Offensive Nomenclature). This provides an efficient way to communicate many different plays with minimal memorization.

full link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_coast_offense

Dunno if that helps. This thread inspired me to do some research on my own, this page has some pretty good stuff. I wasn't aware that according to this, Bill Parcells first coined the term in 1985 after a playoff game between the Giants and 49'ers.

HTTR

Yeah that helps thanks. For all our research I think we are certainly going to be a hybrid WCO - what with a rookie coach and the redskins running game tradition embedded in this town. He needs to learn to hide his play sheet a little better next game. At least last game he had it upside down.

I have a question that some of you can probably answer: in the WCO, maybe not JZ's but base versions, is there a specific type of passing attack re: the routes themselves. In other words, is it more crossing patterns with the slot maybe dragging underneath, or are there a lot of rub routes designed to get a guy out in space for YAC, or does it depend mainly on what the defense is giving you?

Thanks -

it's more because it's something that has never been taught to them. since day 1 of pop warner, you line up, find your target and go hit him. zone isn't like that. it's just different, and it takes a lot of time. but it definitely can work.

How do you go about teaching it? Do you protect the inside gap first or does it vary?

How do you go about teaching it? Do you protect the inside gap first or does it vary?

the way we teach it, there is a technique for a covered lineman, and a technique for an uncovered lineman.

every lineman, at the snap of the ball, steps to the play side. if he's covered, it's a t-step, with the play side foot. a t-step is almost a horizontal step. but it's a very small step.

if you're uncovered, it's what we call a bucket step. basically, you have to give ground to gain ground. the first step is to play side, w/ play side foot, but the step has to give you a little depth.

most down defensive lineman are double teamed at the point of attack (except the last down lineman to the offside, he is unblocked). both men in the double team are eying the linebacker (2nd level), when he commits, the man on the side he commits to peels off the double team and hits the linebacker.

there are no holes per se, just areas to run to, and the back is looking for alleys.

we try to teach it in phases. obviously, the technique is the building block. once we get that, we will put our lineman in 2 v. 1 and teach the double team at the POA. after that, we add the linebacker, and they learn to make the read and peel off.

it sounds way more complicated than it is.

edit: if you're talking about zone pass block, it's all the same, they just don't peel and get to the 2nd level. you can have the the rb protect backside, or even the center if he's uncovered.

So this would be considered throwing to an area and having the receivers make the play?

There's more to it.

The QB has to recognize that the receiver has set up his defender and will be able to get to the spot. He also has to recognize when the defender is getting safety help.

On some plays, if the DB is positioned to take away option one, say a fly pattern, a WR will go to option two. If option one was a fly, he might break off his route and come back to the inside. The QB has to anticipate what the receiver will do and put the pass in the air before the defender can react.

The options are designed to make it impossible for one defender to take away both if the play is well-executed. (The play I described has been bread and butter for Peyton Manning and his WRs for several years).

I have a question that some of you can probably answer: in the WCO, maybe not JZ's but base versions, is there a specific type of passing attack re: the routes themselves. In other words, is it more crossing patterns with the slot maybe dragging underneath, or are there a lot of rub routes designed to get a guy out in space for YAC, or does it depend mainly on what the defense is giving you?

Thanks -

You'll see plenty of option routes, delay routes, snag routes, combo routes, shallow crossing routes etc.

Each position has a laundry list of routes they can run, however. You'll see pretty much anything out there in combination with other routes :)

For those of you who don't know, I'm entering my fourth year as a high school football coach after an achilles injury ended my hopes of walking on at a D3 college to play outside linebacker/safety.

Since D3 schools do NOT have scholarships, isn't everyone considered a "walk-on"??

Aren't those 5 principles the principles of most offenses? Especially protecting the QB?

Since D3 schools do NOT have scholarships, isn't everyone considered a "walk-on"??

No. There are guys who were recruited. I wasn't recruited. I played center at 165 lbs in high school. I walked on as an OLB/S.

Read more of the thread for your second point. I think I answered that question around 5 or 6 times.

Archived