Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Midway Through Camp, Campbell's Clicking

ucfSKINS

Agreed. Forgive me for not getting too excited when the Redskins official website states that the QB looks good in practice.

Except it has been more than the official Redskins website stating it.

Who? Peter King? The man that suggested that everyone take Danny Wuerffel in their fantasy league when Spurrier was hired?

Doesn't matter... He still also said it. It's also been mentioned in the WashPo and the NFL Network. The point being, there have been multiple sources saying that JC has looked impressive this week and not just the team web site.

Doesn't matter... He still also said it. It's also been mentioned in the WashPo and the NFL Network. The point being, there have been multiple sources saying that JC has looked impressive this week and not just the team web site.

That's fine. I still prefer to reserve judgment until I see it in action.

Action = Regular season - yup, and that is how I feel about JC right now. Not just one game either - he has to be a consistent QB.

I truly think this is JC's make-or-break season. If he doesn't show marked improvement and consistency this year the team needs to at least consider going in a new direction in '09.

I'm glad to hear the rosy reports coming out of Redskins Park, but the NFL trashpile is littered with players that looked good in practice but couldn't get it done when it really mattered.

Taylor Jacobs anyone?

I would agree 100% on his comments being interesting. IMHO though "vicinity throws" is what was needed in Saunders' offense, and the QB had to "trust" the intended receiver to be where he was suppose to be in time to catch the ball.

I was thinking simpler. Like on Wr screens and such.

The really interesting thing about this to me, outside of STBonecrusher21's incontinence issues :paranoid: is that Zorn is undoing Gibbs' teaching of JC to be hyper-conservative on selecting a receiver. That is, Gibbs frowned so much on turnovers that I felt he unwittingly, and somewhat unecessarily handcuffed his QBs. Nowadays, coverage in the NFL is generally quite good so much of the time the QB has to throw to a guy that's covered. The QB just has to be accurate enough to place the ball where only the receiver has a chance to get to it.

I truly think this is JC's make-or-break season. If he doesn't show marked improvement and consistency this year the team needs to at least consider going in a new direction in '09.

I'm glad to hear the rosy reports coming out of Redskins Park, but the NFL trashpile is littered with players that looked good in practice but couldn't get it done when it really mattered.

Taylor Jacobs anyone?

I agree, but you have to consider how JG's conservative game held JC back. And I don't put quite as much weight on the impact of constantly changing systems nearly every year that some others do, but it is undeniably a factor too. The far below avg. WR corps had a much greater impact, IMO. And the busted OL last year didn't help either.

In any case, this is JC's year to show his stuff. He HAS to. I hope he stays healthy, because even an injury as an excuse may not save him. We can't wait forever for anybody's development. Go JC. You can do it!

I really hope that he is. Considering our whole season rides on how he plays. I would mutch rather read this headline instead of one that says "Campbell Failing Miserably" Of course all of Colt Brennen nutty huggers would probably love to hear that:silly:

I agree, but you have to consider how JG's conservative game held JC back.

No offense...but I don't care for this argument. Joe Gibbs is in the HOF due in part to his ability to adjust his scheme to fit the players on his team at the time. If he thought conservative was the best option for the team he had, then he had earned the benefit of the doubt. I mean, the dude had a veteran team and a coaching staff that numbered nearly as many as the players. Were all of these players and coaches just going to sit idly by and watch the head coach derail the team with his game plans?

And he also lived at Redskins Park several nights of the week. Seriously, who are we, with our 3 hours per week access to this team, to call his scheme out when he spent over 100 hours per week?

I also think this is Jason's bubble year. It's encouraging to hear that he is practicing well, but it means very little even if Peter King liked it.

To put things into perspective, Jason must go 3-2 to start the season to equal Ramsey's record as a Redskin starter. He has to show a lot more this season.

No offense...but I don't care for this argument. Joe Gibbs is in the HOF due in part to his ability to adjust his scheme to fit the players on his team at the time. If he thought conservative was the best option for the team he had, then he had earned the benefit of the doubt. I mean, the dude had a veteran team and a coaching staff that numbered nearly as many as the players. Were all of these players and coaches just going to sit idly by and watch the head coach derail the team with his game plans?

And he also lived at Redskins Park several nights of the week. Seriously, who are we, with our 3 hours per week access to this team, to call his scheme out when he spent over 100 hours per week?

Nothing about JGII was HOF worthy. Too many cooks, too conservative, NFL record blown leads, staying with MB too long, inability to maintain a proficient WR corps, disregard for the value of draft picks....I could go on.

You can't just say JGII was perfect and his influence could not be a factor in Jason's slow development. The facts don't support that at all. And yes, everyone was going to sit around and watch JG do whatever. Because who was going to go up against him? I think Saunders tried, but look what that got him.

Nothing about JGII was HOF worthy. Too many cooks, too conservative, NFL record blown leads, staying with MB too long, inability to maintain a proficient WR corps, disregard for the value of draft picks....I could go on.

You can't just say JGII was perfect and his influence could not be a factor in Jason's slow development. The facts don't support that at all. And yes, everyone was going to sit around and watch JG do whatever. Because who was going to go up against him? I think Saunders tried, but look what that got him.

I agree. JGII can be called a total disappointment. But many are saying that since he is gone, Zorn will make up for all the deficiencies and JC will take off.

I'm saying that simply subtracting Joe Gibbs does not make this a better team as many seem to suggest.

With all this talk about throwing the ball where only the receiver can get to it and being accurate. Gibbs style of playing not to lose the game or have any turn overs. JC playing in a west coast offense in college and having his hands tied by Al sanders.

Now comes into play the receivers picked in the draft over 5-10 and being able to throw the ball in a area where the receiver can only get to it. Somewhere these two points will meet.

This is very good to hear. IMO JC played well last year, even in games we lost. (i.e. N.Y. 1, GreenBay, Dallas 1, Philly 2) He gave us a chance to win those games he just couldn't finish. In the Giants game our offense got way too conservative in the second half which tired out our defense, we really didn't press until the final drive of the game. The receivers let JC down in the GB game with dropped passes, not to mention Tana's fumble, and the defense in the Philly and Dallas games were beaten badly for scores at key points in the game. It was JC's play that kept us in those games and gave us a chance to win it at the end, he just came up short. I think with the bigger bodied WR's, Zorn working on his redzone decision making and protecting the ball when feeling pressure in the pocket, JC can be a really good QB.

Archived