Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Photoshop question

codeorama

Does anyone have Adobe Photoshop? I have a trial version of Photoshop Elements, but it's not the same.

If anyone has it, do you know if it's "burnable"?

I would love to get a copy from someone, I have heard of others doing it.

I would obviously be willing to pay shipping or cd costs.

I also have Adobe Go Live (website managing tool) to offer as trade material if it is burnable as well..

Originally posted by TheKurp

So Codeman, being a musician how would you feel if you cut a record and then later discovered it was being pirated on the Internet?

Just curious....

Being a musician, I would know right away that it would be pirated as soon as it was released and there isn't much I could do about it. With File Sharing the way it is now, there is nothing that can be done...

However.. Just to let you know what I do... I download as much music as I want, but for bands that I really like, I buy the CD's. My wife asks me why I buy them when I can get the same music for free and I point out that I really like that particular band and It's my way of supporting them as well as going to the live shows...

As for paying 600.00 for software that I would only use for my leisure, not for business use.. what's the difference between that and file swapping music?

Do you download music from the internet? Or do you borrow or let others borrow DVD's to watch a movie? Do you borrow or let other borrow CD's?

just curious...

Originally posted by TheKurp

So if you really like Photoshop, how would you support Adobe?

I edited my above post... Please check it out.

I don't know if I like Photoshop, I'm not willing to shell out 600 dollars for something to try out in my leisure time. I'm not using it for business purposes (ie: to make money), so what's the difference between that and file swapping or borrowing a DVD or CD from someone else? Piracy is a little different, that would be if I had a copy and started selling it for profit. You are allowed to record an NFL game, so long as you don't rebroadcast if for profit.

I take it you don't use fileswapping for music or borrow CD's or DVD's from others (or let them borrow).

Code -

Without getting too far into the moral debate ...

As a graphics Professional, I can tell you that you don't want to f*ck with Adobe. They are vicious when it comes to prosecuting piracy, and they take very aggressive measures to track duplicated serial numbers and the IP addresses associated with them. It's not worth messing with.

A cheaper, but legal way to get the program would be to buy it used from someone, license and registration number included. You could even buy Photoshop 5 for fairly cheap, then legitmately buy the upgrade to Photoshop 7 online for $150.

Actually, a better Alternative might be Paint Shop Pro from Jasc software. It retails for about $100, and does a lot more than Photoshop elements. It even runs Photoshop-compatible plug-ins. Unless you are truly a power user, you probably wouldn't use 80% of Photoshop anyway (I'm paid to use it, and I don't). The only drawback of Paint Shop Pro would be that you might not be able to open Photoshop source files (.psd).

Anyway, here's the link to Jasc. You can download Paint Shop Pro for free to evaluate it:

http://www.jasc.com/products/psp/

Originally posted by The Codeman

Do you download music from the internet? Or do you borrow or let others borrow DVD's to watch a movie? Do you borrow or let other borrow CD's?

just curious...

I don't download music from the Internet. Why? I'm a purist and my ear can distinguish the difference between CD quality and compressed music files. I buy ALL my music.

I don't own any DVDs. Why? I'm really not into watching movies more than once unless many many years have passed. Ergo, I just rent movies. And no, since I always rent the latest releases from BlockBuster I can't afford to lend them out because there's a two day rental period.

Furthermore, I don't believe there's a license restriction preventing consumers from swapping purchased CDs, either temporarily or permanently.

As a software developer, I'm acutely sensitive to licensing agreements. If you composed the lyrics for a song, emailed it to a buddy, and then later heard it on the radio, you'd no doubt be pissed for not receiving any royalties.

It's called intellectual property.

Again, I am not talking about getting a copy of photoshop to profit from it. There is legal difference between personal use and business use.

I understand that you would be sensitive to that if that's your field... but it goes on.

I also agree that you can tell the difference between an original CD and a compressed file.

Originally posted by The Codeman

Again, I am not talking about getting a copy of photoshop to profit from it. There is legal difference between personal use and business use.

What you're failing to recognize is Adobe's investment in providing Photoshop to the public. They have a legal right to expect a return on that investment. Perhaps you're unaware of how expensive software development can be.

I'm about to undertake a project that is estimated to cost near $1M. That is the cost for myself and 7 others for 8 months worth of work. That figure includes tools, training, and development hardware.

If there is a difference between personal use and business use of software, believe me, it will be spelled out in the licensing agreement. Otherwise the distinction is a moot :D point.

Originally posted by RiggoDrill

Code -

Without getting too far into the moral debate ...

As a graphics Professional, I can tell you that you don't want to f*ck with Adobe. They are vicious when it comes to prosecuting piracy, and they take very aggressive measures to track duplicated serial numbers and the IP addresses associated with them. It's not worth messing with.

A cheaper, but legal way to get the program would be to buy it used from someone, license and registration number included. You could even buy Photoshop 5 for fairly cheap, then legitmately buy the upgrade to Photoshop 7 online for $150.

Actually, a better Alternative might be Paint Shop Pro from Jasc software. It retails for about $100, and does a lot more than Photoshop elements. It even runs Photoshop-compatible plug-ins. Unless you are truly a power user, you probably wouldn't use 80% of Photoshop anyway (I'm paid to use it, and I don't). The only drawback of Paint Shop Pro would be that you might not be able to open Photoshop source files (.psd).

Anyway, here's the link to Jasc. You can download Paint Shop Pro for free to evaluate it:

http://www.jasc.com/products/psp/

Riggo, I missed your post, thanks for the info, my intentions were not to screw Adobe out of their money, I wanted to try it, and I now have a link to do that, I was unaware that Adobe allowed you to do that (elements came with my new cpu).

Archived