Extremeskins

Landry To Stays At Free Safety

Zhouse

Source: Redskins.com

News & Notes: Landry Stays At Free Safety

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

July 22, 2008

LaRon Landry will stay at the free safety position for the foreseeable future, defensive coordinator Greg Blache said this week. The Redskins drafted Landry in the first round in 2007 with the intention of playing him at strong safety. With the tragic death of Sean Taylor last November, Landry shifted to free safety.

Landry finished with 97 tackles, third-best on the defense, and 1.5 sacks. He also had two fourth-quarter interceptions in the Redskins' playoff game at Seattle.

"I just think LaRon brings so much to the table for us at the free safety spot," Blache said. "He's such a force back there, being able to play from sideline to sideline. I like the ability he has back there.

"Until I come up with something better, then we're not fooling with it."

Blache kept his options open at free safety after the Redskins signed fifth-year veteran Stuart Schweigert in the offseason.

Schweigert, who started 42 games for the Oakland Raiders the last four years, has played mostly free safety in his career.

For now, Reed Doughty appears to have a hold on the strong safety position.

Blache praised Doughty's progression to a starter late last season.

"If you give someone an opportunity, the good ones are going to rise to it, and the so-so aren't," Blache said. "Reed is one of those guys who is going to rise to the challenge. When you first meet him, you see a serious individual. You see someone committed to football.

"He has that passion for the game. He has got the smarts. It's not like he's infallible and he never makes a mistake, but he doesn't make the same mistake twice. That's his trademark. And that's why he has gotten so much better."

Doughty remains a respected player in the locker room, especially after he entered the lineup for the late Taylor last December.

Doughty finished with 49 tackles and a half-sack in six starts last season.

Regarding Landry's development, Blache said: "LaRon is an improved player. He grew up at lot at the tail end of the season last year when he had to move back to free safety after we lost Sean. He got comfortable at free safety, and then he got confident in it. We've watched him continue to grow."

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=3798

just as I thought, the coaches also think Landry is too valuable as a FS to have him up in the box. Great to finally see this addressed as I have had many debates with others about where Laron should be on the field.

LL has too much athletic ability to be solely utilized as an in the box, short range defender. I do think he will be moved around in certain packages, and he will also be blitzing on occasion. I welcome him coming in on blitzes and even moving to the SS spot to confuse offenses. Regardless of his defined position, he needs to be on the field at all times when we are in defense! HTTR!

Landry showed some serious talent at FS last season, especially in the playoff game. He is a playmaker, and is the only fitting replacement for #21 in my humble opinion (although #21 can never be replaced). I applaud Blache for recognizing his abilities are best suited for the FS position. Although I'm sure we'll see Landry all over the field playing many positions this season...he is that talented.

Archived