Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Sobering Reminder to Be Thankful for What We Have In America

Special K

DjTj - The article on the "brain drain" you posted actually states that the phenomenon stiffles development in the Philippines, which is in accordance with what I've been saying. Here are a few quotes:

Although the supply response seems to adjust to varying global labour market, the matter of substituting the recruited overseas Filipino workers with workers fresh from the school system actually implies additional drain which is some kind of a 'deadweight loss' given that it takes time for training, and exposure yields the the experience and capacity that have been outright withdrawn from the domestic labour market force by foreign recruitment - p.18 and 19

In addition there is evidence that a large portion of Filipino workers abroad belong to the most productive age groups when compared to those employed in the country - p.20

The continued brain drain from the Philippines has always eluded policy solutions and REMAINS A VEXING PROBLEM. - p. 20

Here's a good study on negative brain drain effects in regards to health care which is again, in accordance to what I've been told by W.H.O. and D.O.H. officials while over here and when I was in Africa:

Migration of medical professionals from developing countries has become a major concern. This brain drain worsens the already depleted healthcare resources in poor countries and widens the gap in health inequities worldwide. It is time that international organisations collaborated to protect the value of this “intellectual property”: where medical professionals cannot be dissuaded from moving, the country that trained them should at least gain from their movement.

In Africa alone, where health needs and problems are greatest, around 23 000 qualified academic professionals emigrate annually.1 Information from South African medical schools suggests that a third to a half of its graduates emigrate to the developed world.2 The loss of nurses has been even more extreme—for example, more than 150 000 Filipino nurses3 and 18 000 Zimbabwean nurses4 work abroad.

The cost implications are significant. With 600 of its medical graduates registered in New Zealand, the financial cost to South Africa was estimated at $37m.6 The United Nations Commission for Trade and Development has estimated that each migrating African professional represents a loss of $184 000 to Africa.7 Paradoxically, Africa spends $4bn a year on the salaries of 100 000 foreign experts.1,8 In an example of brain drain within the country, Kenya estimates that only 600 doctors work in public hospitals out of more than 5000 registered9; the rest have moved abroad or are working in the private sector. “Brain waste” also occurs when health workers end up working outside the health sector or as unskilled labour in the country they move to.

Some benefits may also result for the exporting country. These include substantial financial remittances from expatriates, improved training, and long term professional networks. The adverse effects, however, are likely to predominate.

I don't want to quote the entire article b/c it's so long, but here's the link:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1122434

Not to hijack the thread, but on a side note I could see instituting mandatory 2 year civil service for all US citizens. It could be military service, or they could set up non-military organizations along the lines of the Peace Corps, or some domestic community service.
not to further highjack it but,

While I think this coutnry would benefit from more people serving in some capacity, mandatory service takes the significance out of volunteering. That and people who don't want to serve would just drag the system down. This country was founded on the freedom to do the right thing. the trade-off is that people are also free to choose the selfish route as well :2cents:

edit: I've seen and expirienced similar things during my mission work in Guatemala (3rd poorest country in the world). I greatly appreciate and identify with those who volunteer their time and energy to good causes.

I've got some incredible pictures from Guatemala I'm sure alot of you would enjoy seeing. I'm not using ym personal computer right now, but I think i can find a few on my facebook to post if you guys want.

every trip I went on to Guatemala I never had any pictures of me working taken. I only took pictures of the country's beauty. I have other pictures showing the poverty on my other computer, but I can't get those right now.

Picture 1: lake Atitlan with the mountains in the background.

Picture 2: Volcan De Agua just outside the old spanish city of Antigua.

Picture 3: Parque Central in Antigua with a 350 year old fountain

Picture 4: Volcan De San Pedro off the far shore of Lake Atitlan

Picture 5: the famous cathedral Santa Catarina in Antigua

Archived