Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Math/Algebra help

cjcdaman

Okay, here's the deal. My girl pays the mortgage. I pay all of the bills. Someone makes more than the other. I make less. What I want to do is figure out what equation or steps I need to do in order to find out who is paying more out of their salary each month. In other words, who pays more percentage of their salary than the other.

All you need are the following variables (I suggest everything as monthly based):

Your monthly income

Her monthly income

The monthly mortgage

The monthly total of bills you pay.

Your % of income spent = (The monthly total of bills you pay) / (Your monthly income)

Her % of income spent = (The monthly mortgage) / (Her monthly income)

Whomever's number is bigger is paying more :-p.

All you need are the following variables (I suggest everything as monthly based):

Your monthly income

Her monthly income

The monthly mortgage

The monthly total of bills you pay.

Your % of income spent = (The monthly total of bills you pay) / (Your monthly income)

Her % of income spent = (The monthly mortgage) / (Her monthly income)

Whomever's number is bigger is paying more :-p.

I agree.

You have to consider what Corcaigh posted, too. If she is getting all the tax deduction for interest paid she might be getting a "refund" on how much she pays as a percentage of income if you file seperate tax returns. Also, are you on title to the property (and a borrower on the mortgage)? If not, she will get any equity in the property if and when it is sold and the credit history for paying the mtg., not you.

Your question is hard to answer with so many variables, but drums and skins formula seems like a great start.

Good luck.

Archived